MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:23 AM

Mr. Mike-

Thanks again. The "Giraffe Knife" was not tough to part with because I've yet to part with it!

I have the bad habit of falling in love with my own knives. My buddy Ron Nott is forever telling me to stop doing that...What can I say?...it's a fatal flaw Up until the past week or so I felt the same way about the "Desert Flame"...Now that I'm essentially making another, I've come to realize there's no reason to continue hanging onto the Flame.

The good news is that it's beginning to sink in that each knife I make is better than the one before. I've already decided that I'm going to send the Giraffe Knife over to Coop for some decent pics...(Hey, I at least want a good record). Once that's done I'll put it up for sale (Of course I must have at least a few weeks to "show it around"...That's the best part of all this!)... I was planning on waiting to send the knife to Coop after I finish the backspine for my carved MOP GX6...then I could send the two together. But I keep getting dragged off into other areas and it might be awhile before I finally nail down that (ellusive) backspine...maybe I'll just go ahead and send the Giraffe knife over to Coop.

Arizona Ironwood is one of my better sources...I'm currently sitting on quite a few gorgeous sets of ironwood scales (althought this latest might be tough to beat!). That sounds pretty cool that about your grandfather....How great would that be to simply walk around and find awesome samples of wood!

BTW- As to the 75 hrs...it's not really all that bad. Now that I'm back to work fulltime, I typically work in my shop from around 8 or 9pm (after I help my daughter with her homework) and keep at it until around 1 or 2am. At 4-6 hrs per night, spending a 2 or 3 weeks on a knife that involved doesn't seem unreasonable.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-23-2003, 01:10 PM

Looks like you guys have got it pretty much figured out!

Dennis, thanks for the thorough responses. I always learn.

Lately I have been having a helluva time finding energy to get into the shop. Photo work continues steadily. My 4-month-old son is requiring my attention, as is my stay-home-with-him wife Susan. But we knew that didn't we? I envy your work ethic.

I am going to look round for different plates. There are too many success stories around to have my one example sour my interest.

I have a folder that has been needing my attention for over a month, and I haven't given it any time. That is in front of four others I have slated to finish for other clients. [Sigh] I promise that and more soon enough. I DO have a surprise in store for you guys, though...

Coop

(BTW--I think The correct word is 'Chatoyancy', better than Chatoyant.)

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Mike, ultra-clean EV sir! Very well thought out!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 04-23-2003, 03:55 PM

Coop-

I think we're both right...

Chatoyant can be used as either a noun or an adjective. Chatoyancy is an alternative form of the word that is used only as a noun.

The word is most often used in the context of gems or minerals when describing the character of the stone...such as the chatoyant one would find in Cats Eye...
In my personal experience, every wood "expert" with whom I've had the occasion to discuss the subject, will refer to a wood's "chatoyant."

Here's an outtake from verbage delivered up by Bradley over at Arizona Ironwood:

"Some customers are surprised at
the actual chatoyant depth and unique character of the wood after they receive it."

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
from Merriam Webster...

cha?toy?ant
Pronunciation: sh&-'toi-&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: French, from present participle of chatoyer to shine like a cat's eyes
Date: 1816
: having a changeable luster or color with an undulating narrow band of white light

cha?toy?an?cy
Pronunciation: -&n(t)-sE
Function: noun
Date: 1894
: the quality or state of being chatoyant
Old 04-23-2003, 04:28 PM

chatoyant
SYLLABICATION: cha?toy?ant
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: sh-toint KEY
ADJECTIVE: Having a changeable luster.
NOUN: A chatoyant stone or gemstone, such as the cat's-eye.
ETYMOLOGY: French, present participle of chatoyer, to shimmer like cats' eyes, from chat, cat, from Vulgar Latin *cattus, perhaps of African origin.
OTHER FORMS: cha?toyan?cy ?NOUN

Out of curiosity I went through about 30 pages of Google...I don't think there's a clear "winner" on this but never-the-less I am now leaning towards making the change for this particular usage to:
"the amazingly 3D chatoyancy is not to be believed!"

Good catch Coop. I learn something new everytime I log in to the CKDF!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:38 PM

Yup--you're right. I had only heard the word chatoyancy in describing this phenomena. But I looked it up and now I see the origins. Thanks for the clarification. Touche'!

Coop

#### Edit
Jeez, we BOTH posted at the same time supporting each other. Time for a group hug....!

NOT!!!!! [/Arrrrgghh!]

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 04-23-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:18 PM

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Tags
blade, knife, knives