MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
yea it definetly would not be good for a high end custom light.
i would definetly use a differnt material for the higher end lights!!
but the lexan might be nice in diffent colors and finnishes mabey and some half life x to the clip by drilling a few holes in it!
i kind of like the zip tie for convinece but would rather a black one for a tacticle look.
i guess im more in to the beater lights then any thing fancy. seems to be the same for knives.
as you can see from the pic its beat up!!
the perminent ring would look much better but would eliminate the optoin of using the clip on a different size light.
i was thinking if i stick with the zip tie idea mabey i could some how hide the lock part in the clip it self?

those are some great light Dennis!! all very nice looking and sounds like thay are top notch!
with the clip design you are showing will that slip fit over the body of the light?
or will it work as a washer and be held on by the butt cap?

....justin
Old 01-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
For your interest...

There's a new custom light that's being shipped over the next couple of weeks...The maker is one of the top two custom guys and only does one run of each new light. I'm in on this run. It's called the Chameleon because it has several different heads and bodies, that allow you to go from a small, slim form that's easy to carry as an EDC, or a larger form that can utilize a bigger battery for longer and brighter life...It is state of the art with an onboard "brain" that allows you to select one of 64 possible settings. Here are some pics of the light in its different forms...and the clip that has been designed for it.

One of the heads has a big refelector, which gives a very tight focus, allowing the light to maintain a tight beam for an incredible distance (at least 1/2 mile). It's pretty odd to see such a big head on such a little light, but it kicks butt!!! (the one on the right is an older model designed by the same maker):

Here's a cad drawing of the clip:

Here's the "lanyard" side attched to a keychain (the keyboard will give you an idea of scale):

And just to keep your interest, here's another new, "out-of-the-box" light that's due to start shipping next month:

And finally a group shot of some customs...I'd love to own any one of these Ithe one in the middle is the same as the one in the above photo...I'm happy to say that I will own one of those when they come out next month.

These are all very "limited editions"...Often no more than 100-200 of each is made. Very cool "toys for boys"...

Dennis Greenbaum
Man, those are some sick lights.

What is that chamelion? It looks like a LionCub.

What is that square one with two front things?

That gat light looks sweet too.

That clip looks just like the one I plan to build. A loopback design.
I'll use it as a model.

I'm just waiting on the .04 stainless steel.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:10 PM

The Chameleon is the next generation of the Lion Cub, both made by Charlie Wong of Hawaii (aka "Mr. Bulk"). If you drop into the flashlight forums http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php (started by Charlie as an alternative to the candlepowerforums.com), you can't help but read a lot about the upcoming Chameleon. It is similar to the LC in size and shape, but far more sophisticated with its onboard electronics....better reflectors, and a change in the Lux (the LED). Unfortunately the sign-up list has been closed for some time and I don't know if he plans on making any more of them (he usually only does one run of each new model...about 1 new light every year or so).

The "square " light is one of the more exciting lights to come along in awhile. It's called the Spy 005...It's small and yet because of it's form factor, unlike most small lights, it holds not one but two CR123 batteries (or rechargeables, which is usually my preference). You can read about it in the MOD B/S/T over in the CPF (www.candlepowerforums.com)... Unfortunately, the last time I checked, the forums were down (for a change...ever since they changed ISP's they go down every couple of days for the last 2 or 3 months).

FYI- I didn't mention it yet in this thread, but one of my most favorite of all the customs is the "Raw"...and soon to be released "Son of Raw" (even smaller). No other light that I own draws as much OOooh's and Aaaaahs as my Raw. It is so tiny and yet it is so incredibly friggin' bright!!! (approx 85 lumens!). There is no other light out there that puts out so much light from such a small form. It's not the most practical...since it is only good for about 12 minutes....but it is a very bright 12 minutes and there is probably no other flashlight that can compare with its "Wow" factor.
http://www.theorb.co.uk/raw-torch.htm

Meanwhile, I've been drawn away from my 2 clips project for the time being...With what spare time I have I'm back at the bench working on another version of my Topo Gigio's (the dealer who bought #2 has been bugging me for more "product"). I'll try and work the clips in when I can. Looking forward to seeing how you do with yours...

Dennis Greenbaum

Old 01-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
titanium bends easy if you add a little heat from a torch just enough to get the bend you need not to much or it can get britle (or so i have herd) i made a pocket clip for a sheath out of it and im sold on the methid small amounts are avalible on ebay in varius thickneses and sizes

also im looking for a good led to make a simple light but the ones i see in most lights are to blue and tend to give me a headace any one know where to get a resonably priced one with good color?

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
also im looking for a good led to make a simple light but the ones i see in most lights are to blue and tend to give me a headace any one know where to get a resonably priced one with good color?
All white LED's are subject to variations in color...but without exception they are all much cooler than the incandescent lights to which you've become accustomed (Once you get used to looking at the cool white and very clean beams of LED's, it's the incandescents that start looking strange with their rather yellow tints and beams filled with various lines and artifacts). LED's all tend to lean towards a bluer, cooler tint. But they can also lean slightly to violet, green, pink, or brown (usually you'd have to have them side by side for the eye to pick up on the subtle variations).

The newest generation of LED's are called "Luxeons" often referred to as "Lux" for short. Depending on the LED and how much juice you're putting through them they are capable of 10x's, 30x's, 50x's more light than the "conventional" LED's. And depending on availability you can specify the "bin number", which effects tint. Most of the lights shown in this thread are 30x's brighter than a standard LED...brighter (and whiter) than all but the largest maglight.

For more info go to either one of the following forums, and any question you may have about LED's will be answered...quickly:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/
http://flashlight-forums.com/

Dennis Greenbaum

Old 01-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

thanks ill look in to it

Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Steel Addict

Just curious, but why not just drill / tap the body of the light to accept the clip you want? Wouldn't a clip with the split ears be able to be bent slightly to match the round surface of the light? I'm not a flashlight expert, I spent 23 years in law enforcement and from the old school to boot. In the early days if it wasn't big enough to use as an intermediate equalizer, it was called a pen light and was found in the pocket of the guy wearing scrubs that you went to see next. I have been fascinated by the technology you guys have talked about here and am off to figure out how much horsepower I can pack into my next moonbeam equalizer.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Skilled

battlement that option could definetly work!

but i think the problem with that option it the fact that it might alter the " water proof" abilitys of the light.
there is a chance your screw thredds wont match exactly and you might get a leak.
plus for me at leaste i know its dam hard to drill and tap a tubeular object.

......justin
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Steel Addict

little dab of rtv or lock tight if you get it tapd should cover the water problum

Old 01-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Skilled

just to be safe i might opt to use jb weld or some other 2 part epoxy to seal the thredds.
the thredd locker ive used will not hold up.
thay end up crumbling after a few times in or out of the hole.

it seems like the thred locker used on the knifekits.com pivots seems to be much better and dries blue the ones ive used get all cloudy and nasty (sort of like a booger)

.........justin

Tags
blade, knife, knives