MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:57 AM

TJ,
Dennis an over achiever?
I think you hit that nail on the head.
Dennis has been doing this a while now and is making his own custom knives .
He is first rate as a person also!

Jaime
Most of the knives will do the trick for you .
My suggestions would be the ddr2, gpc1000, or the gx6 .
All of these knives fit your bill.

If you reconsider the ddr3 or ddr3bl are great as Dennis and others have stated.

It is very fine to see you making your man a knife.
Any help you need I am sure the good folks that hang out in this forum will help in any way possible.

To all that have posted with help for this lady thanks.
Alex and I appreciate your involvement.

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 11-08-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
Quote:
He works at a lumber yard Justin, so he won't scare anyone away. Besides we're in Vermont, one of my co-workers at the furniture shop regularly brings his deer rifle in to work during hunting season LMAO.
then there is no reson to get the smaller knife always go bigger!!
just like in wood working you can always cut more off the piece of wood.
just try to add it back once the piece is to small!
same for the knives you can easly make one smaller but its guna be a pita to get a kit bigger then it allredy is!

but if you realy want something right inbetween the ddr3 and the ddr2 go for the ddr1.
its bigger then the ddr2 and smaller then the ddr3.
dont pay attention to the #s that come after the ddr i think thay only denote the time line in which thay came out not the size of the knives.

here is a pic for comparison

Last edited by justice; 11-08-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to jmebluis
Hey Guys

Thanks again for all the help!

OK, no vote from Dennis on the wood backspine. I'll put that one on the back burner. I was thinking to modify the steel one that comes with the kit if I went steel. I think that S pattern that you posted could be modified to the kind of flames I want. Basically that shape w/ the filing, but more organic. Organic means asymmetrical yay for not having to duplicate over and over LMAO. As far as the carving I can do that with a dremel right? What kind of bit/cutters would you recommend?

TexasJack, what's this about a 2.5? Sized right in between eh?

Bill, I'll take you up on that offer for the Sapele. Thank you very much!!! Send me an email; smellykitties@hotmail.com ( I know like 5 of you are going 'smelly kitties'?! that's what my cousin calls my ferrets.) and we'll get shipping info going. Yay knife forum people, you guys are so nice!

You know, I just today switched my car insurance today to a company with a much lower rate maybe I just NEEd both knives, one for me and one for Shawn and then I won't have to decide between them....... OH BOY!

Well gotta get my butt out the door, it's pool tournament night and I've gotta try out my new cue.

-Jaime
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Well gotta get my butt out the door, it's pool tournament night and I've gotta try out my new cue.
Now you're getting to be too good to be true...

As far as the Dremel is concerned, I have hundreds of burs/bits/accessories...and yet for what you're doing you will probably do just as well using the different size/different grit abrasive bands...and/or the rust colored stones, that typically come with the Dremel. They cut steel quite well.

I have many, many carbide burs of all shapes and sizes but they can get real pricey, real fast...and I still find myself reaching for the abrasive bands more than any other bit (I'm so lucky to have a well-stocked jewelry supply shop not far from my home....he carries the bands in 4 different grits, and several different sizes).

Those Dremel will mostly be used for cutting away larger areas. For the fine stuff and for finishing, you're still gonna be best off getting some needle files. There are many threads in the forums, that discuss them in great detail...just try a search under "needle files" and see what you get.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help...

Dennis

PS. I shoot a mean game of pool myself...or at least I used to... Quite a few years ago I was one of the top-ranked players in the area. Unfortunately I did an incredibly dumb, spontaneous thing a couple of years ago...
With all of my knifemaking interest....I figured I wasn't going to be shooting pool any more. So I sold my good que thinking I'd use the funds towards equipment (Among other things, that funded my KMG grinder). I'm of course pleased with the equipment I bought but now I am sooooo bummed that I got rid of that que. It was a seriously sweet stick. It was a Mike Lambros...the 3rd que he ever made, and by his own admission, one of the nicest.
Stupid, stupid, stupid....Sigh....

Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to jmebluis
I wonder what box that's in.....

Hey Dennis,

Actually I have a set of needle files. Yay for that jewelry making class I took a while back. The only thing is I've just moved (just bought my first home) and I've a vague notion of where they might be, but not at all sure that's where they are. Now that I know what I'm looking for I'll have to check the bag of junk w/ my dremel and see if I have any bits that will do the trick.

Oh man, that's a bummer on the pool stick. I still have my first one, it's just too messed up to play. I'm not the pool player I once was, but then I don't really spend much time on it anymore. When I was in college I would play every day for at least an hour or so. Yeah the selling the cue sounds like when I gave away my Magic cards, I've regretted it ever since, though I've got twice as many cards now as I had then there are a lot that are irreplaceable.

So I ended up buying the DDR3 and DDR2. I think the DDR3 will work for Shawn, I did some covert measuring and the Leatherman multi tool that he normally carries in his pocket is 4" long and very bulky. And though I'll prolly wait til after x-mas present building time to assemble the DDR2 for myself I think I may do some modifications to it. OK gg do chores ......growls.

-Jaime

Tags
blade, knife, knives