MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM

just getting ready to start

Hey guys, i have started building my forge, and planing on making some damascus, I want to use 3 pieces of 1080, and 3 of 15N20. having only forge welded once, is is possible, and a good or bad idea to do say 10 folds and maybe a few twists to get a layer count north of 3000. I know it probably has no real purpose other than to say I did it, but I dont want to over do it. my plan is to start out with 1"or 2" wide strips that are 6" long and then when its all done, cut the billet down to size for the knife that pops into my head at the time, and forge on from there. I just dont want to waste steel and gas if its a futile effort, or will make a poor blade when im done.

I have never seen someone saying that they have over 600-700 layers, just wondering why.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Skilled

The problem with 3000 layer billet is the pattern will be so fine you will have to really look to see it, that is why most people stop around 300 or so.

The other problem you will have if you are doing this by hand is it will take so many heats your probably going to burn out all the carbon by time you get to 3000 layers.

www.turnerknives.com
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM

thats what i needed to know, thanx so much
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Skilled

Also, if you'r doing this by hand, you may want to start with a lot smaller pieces like 1x3, better chance of getting good welds. Called keeping your mistakes small. Jon

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Skilled

Radeo...My guess is that I will be flamed by many who read this but I've got to say it anyway.
While I do agree with the premise that there are no dumb questions, there ARE basic questions. If someone is asking Basic questions about doing Damascus, building their first forge, and just beginning their knifemaking career...then by definition that person is not yet ready to undertake making a Damascus knife.
I suspect that their desire to do a Damascus knife is rooted in their desire to build something that they can be proud of and to successfully overcome an obvious challenge. I don't have a problem with any of that, but I doubt that you have a full appreciation of the challenges offered by making a simple quality blade out of 1080 steel. To shape it, forge it, harden and heat treat it, grind it, fit it to a handle and or a guard, and finish it with a good fit and finish is, in and of itself, no small accomplishment....and it offers a significant challenge to even experienced knifemakers.
Let me ask you a simple question. Would you prefer to make a simple knife which will be admired by all who see it...and be successful at doing that...or would you rather try to run before you can walk and end up failing at something that you clearly are ill-advised to attempt in the first place?
I doubt that this reply will deter you, but I would rather see a new knifekamer be successful at what he's doing than see him end up with a dismal failure and possibly ending a great hobby with such a disappointing failure.
Good luck to you in your knifemaking adventures.

Last edited by Ed Tipton; 01-30-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Tags
blade, damascus, forge, guard, heat treat, hobby, knife