MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Skilled

Mitchell, I know exactly how the knife came about from the broken blade purchased from an eBay auction, and I also know that you were not trying to make it anything it isn't, unless that is your display with the placard directly above it.

If someone is advertising a display of Viet Nam era knives, used in combat or not, they should display Viet Nam era knives, not new ones.

Now my take on it is that placard isn't even affiliated with the knife in the picture, being it's not a Model 15/16, so it's purely academic in the grand scheme of things.

Now, back to the good stuff on this thread.....

Sam, yes I have seen the sub-hilt Smiths of Paul's, and they are a treasure in my eyes! I have some pics of them in my files, since the two of us get together frequently. I'm not going to post any on here though, since this is your thread about your attendance at Blade. Thanks again Bud!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bill for the consideration, but go ahead and post those Smithsonians on this thread. They were there and I saw them, I was just a knucklehead and didn't take pictures :-) the Clarence Moore sheaths are outstanding too!
Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Steel Addict

Bill,

I do not follow. The placard is for the knife above, not below..... the knife above is a short blade 16 in a custom sheath.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunefinK View Post
Bill,

I do not follow. The placard is for the knife above, not below..... the knife above is a short blade 16 in a custom sheath.
Nevermind......
Old 06-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Skilled

Quote:
It turns out the 18 was listed in Hunt's "Rare and Experimental" book. Seeing the sheath on a PC instead of a phone, it looks like it is a steel rivet, which would be correct for an early screw butt. Joe remembers John buying it directly from Hunt.
Thanks Mitchell for the update on this Model 18 knife. I have Hunts book, so I will check that out.
Sam
Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Skilled

Everyone, I enjoyed looking at the knives. I don't object to creative ####### displaying a knife, and stories are a part of most collecting hobbies. In this case, the knife in question is a low-S blade so we have a good idea when it was originally forged... during the Vietnam era.

I do have a concern about putting that knife on top of a non-theatre Special Forces green beret in a display entitled "In the 'forces'" and "WWII," "Korea," and "Vietnam." The word "forces" is in quotes in the title. The sheath is beautiful... but since there is no proof that the knife was associated with Special Forces in Vietnam, or with MACVsog, or even with uses in any military, the sheath is a prop is it not? The Special Forces beret in this case is also a prop and the casual observer could be misled into thinking the knife, MACVsog sheath, and the beret, and the display title (in the service, Vietnam), are all related. And what is the purpose of putting quote signs around the word "forces," especially next to a green beret?

I personally get a little cross-eyed when SF regalia, especially berets which are somewhat iconic, are used as a prop. As a matter of fact...

I just suggest not doing this.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-07-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Skilled

No Blade photo thread would be complete without a picture of Mitchell's Grail knife, the Zacharias Fighter. It's awesome in person. What a find!!

Mitchell had his other early fighters on display too. Here is a Early 1943 8" Fighter. Notice the spacer configuration and finger grip, also the choil and spine cutout forward of the hilt. Extraordinary knife!

Sorry about the glare guys. This year they had all of the displays out in the lobby, with the partial glass roof, made it hard to take pictures.

Here is a cool one of Mitchell's. It's a 1943-44 8" fighter with a screw on buttcap! Only 2 are known to exist!

I have to tell on myself a bit. While at blade, I was talking with another Randall enthusiast over by Mitchell's display cases in the lobby.. Me and this other guy were deep in conversation and showing our knives to one another.
All the sudden, Mitchell came out to the lobby to check on things, and said, "on my display case?!! Really!?? Then walked off. It then occured to me that a couple of our zippered knife cases were laying on his display case...his Zacharias display case! I was slightly embarrassed. Sorry about that Mitchell.
Moral of the story, don't be so absorbed by your knives that you loose all sense of where you are.
All the displays were well done.

Sam
Old 06-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Thanks Bill for the consideration, but go ahead and post those Smithsonians on this thread. They were there and I saw them, I was just a knucklehead and didn't take pictures :-) the Clarence Moore sheaths are outstanding too!
Sam
As usual, my pictures are too large to post on this site.....
Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Steel Addict

No worries Sam. Everyone was very concerned about leaving displays in the new location. If you want to see other pictures of the knives on display, they are all on my site.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Quote:
No worries Sam. Everyone was very concerned about leaving displays in the new location. If you want to see other pictures of the knives on display, they are all on my site.

Thanks,
I can imagine it was a bit concerning, even though you had good people keeping an eye out.
Kind of hard to replace a Zacharias fighter!
Hopefully it's a better set up next year.
Sam
Old 06-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2bill View Post
As usual, my pictures are too large to post on this site.....
Bill, email them to me, I will resize and post if you want.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Skilled

Mitchells Zach is the bomb of all bombs. But for a long time my eye has gone to the 8-in with finger grips when I go on his site. I think this was owned by Tom Dehart at one time?

Bill, quick lesson. Right click on picture, click "open with," in drop down box click "paint." Opens in paint, in upper left you will see a button that says, "resize." click that button, click "pixels," enter 750 in the horizontal line, vertical pixels will adjust automatically, click "OK". Now go to "file", click "save". Picture is saved resized to 750 pixels wide. That is about perfect size for post here.

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Skilled

Ok, so I started a thread on, what to me is an enigma. It's this old looking alleged Randall knife that was on display at blade. Here are a few close-ups.

The rivet looks a lot like Mitchell's Zacharias, made in 1942, so if this one as claimed is 1937-8 that's only 4 or 5 years.

A year and almost a half ago, this knife came to public life, and the owner was asked if it had been authenticated. Has anyone heard anything about it?
The spacers are odd for the period for me, but what if this was an early practice knife?
I have been patiently waiting for clarification, started a thread here 4 months ago, it's been viewed almost 1000 times, 6 responses, 3 of which are mine!
It was presented at Blade for the world to see this year as an early Bo Randall circa 1937-8 knife.
If it is authentic, which the owner claims, where is the provenance?
This is one of the oddest things I have seen in this Randall collectors community don't you think?
A member puts it up there, makes a bold, to say the least statement, there are a few nice knife comments, then crickets...
As far as provenance is concerned, I would think Gary Randall would be the one to authenticate it.
I am a flute maker, and my kids know my first flute. The first anything that a maker, especially a renowned one makes is usually cherished.
So to see this knife in a display case with a letter from Gary would work. Otherwise, it's just heresay.
It may be Bo's first knife, or maybe a shop worker made it.
I think it too big a deal to leave it hanging like that. Especially when it is in the public eye with the claim.
Can we just resolve this darn enigma? If it can't be authenticated, take it out of the public eye. At this point It's frustrating, offensive and just plain wrong. Bo Randalls history is too important.
Ok, I'm off my soapbox... I'm just sayin'.
Sam
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE6245 View Post
Very nice pics Sam. Sorry our paths didn't cross. That show is just mind blowing. I managed to pick up a few nice knifes but had a hard time focusing when there were so many to see. A friend of mine got a very nice pinned ivory handled mid-50's model 3/6 with chromed blade. I'm horrible with pictures but will see if I can take a couple to share with the group, especially with Ron. Rumor has it that he has a slight preference for that model. ;-)
Jim, I would love to see it also!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Bill -- I just posted it up in a separate thread. I picked up a model 2 that I also want you to see. Interesting scrim on ivory. I'll get that one up in the next day or two.

Tags
2017, back, bee, blade, book, casting, collecting, custom, fighter, hand, knife, knives, made, make, micarta, post, randall, rare, sheath, show, stiletto, tang, tang nut, vintage, vintage knives