MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Guru

Nice little find there Robert. Ok....Im not going anywhere till we get this figured out.. :-)

What lights would be the ones to order on there...I would have thought the bottom one but it looks like its not available yet. Im going to pay attention to this thread till I head home, then Ill stop by Home Depot to take a look.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Ya know, I don't think there is whole lot of difference between 5000k and 6500k. Just get those that specify daylight and NOT 2800K and be done with it. That worklight I have is good and bright, but I tried a couple of images this morning, and it doesn't improve over the (3) cheaper and easier to find bulbs.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Coop, what was the K on your bulbs you just tried? Shane, you just looked at one of several pages of lights that have the 5000K rating. Click on the menu on the left hand side for more sizes. Listen to what Coop says to get though. I'm going to stick with 5000K period, simply because it's what I already have, and I don't want to confuse myself any more than I am by throwing different K values into my mix. Now If I just understood Lumens ) (I think it's the horsepower of a bulb)

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Skilled

Careful with that sight you found there RH.

Try this URL
http://www.directfluorescent.com/

I keep getting this...........................
THIS SITE IS SHUT DOWN

Just for chuckles, I added several bulbs to my cart (through the first link RH posted). After the site added them to my cart, I clicked on "Continue Shopping" It sent me to a page with some Asian writing on it.

Buyer beware. Always check a new site out thouroughly before disclosing any financial info.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Vining; 01-13-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Skilled

Hey Bill your photos are first class. What's your light source?

BTW, There's 2 issues I'm learning about here that really effect things (I hope I get this right):

1 is color temperature. Cameras can compensate this to a point and we can all admit closer to sunlight (about 5000) is best.

2 is the CRI. This is the list of available colors. For example, let's break down the visible spectrum into 100 colors (let's just say). Standard cool white flourescent lights only produce 65 of them. 5000K flourescent produces 82. But look at this tungsten-halogen produces all 100! but the temperature (averaged out colors) is about 3000.

On the other hand, Mercury vapor lamps are a fine 5500, but only produce 22 colors (or 22% of the possibles.)

Bottom line is you can find a light that averages out to sun light, but it still won't produce all the colors. And that, my friends, you can't compensate for! So mercury vapor lamp will give you the right temperature, but there is no way to get a decent photo.

I think I'm going for halogen lamps and adjust the camera's white balance.

http://www.goodmart.com/facts/light_...mparisons.aspx

Not trying to share my confusion, just what I've learned.

Steve

Old 01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Hall of Famer

The first site I talked abut was the Ezcube site, and they're fine, I've done business with them. If you're talking about the direct floresent site, I don't have a clue about them. Yes, please excersize sound buying judgment with everything you purchase nowdays. I'm one of the lucky ones, I haven't ever been stung once(that being said, I hope I get my DVD that was going to be delivered to my in October!) , but when I do get bit, I'll hollar loudly!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-13-2005, 09:00 PM

Very interesting and informative site, Steve. Thanks for doing the homework. I learned much.

I'll be interested in your findings. Color corrections are a major PITA. I am not convinced I *need* all 100 colors...

Robert--the worklight is supposed to be 6500k. The bulbs don't say that, the website does.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-13-2005, 10:04 PM

Fluorex worklight - 6500k

This is an image I took this morning with a single 65w (500w?) Fluorex worklight. The kind advertised on the Lights of America site. It is supposedly 6500K and represents the colors you will achieve with this Kelvin temp.

I took the photo with my Canon 20D at 1/60" sec at f-2.8. I set the white balance on 'auto'. I edited it down and did NO color correcting at all. Frankly it's about as close to the real thing as I would hope for. Look at how clean and white the blade is.

Not bad. *I* still would need a bank of these to get the shutter speed and small aperature (DOF) I need, but it's sure good enough for anyone other than a working pro. The screw-in ones available in the same temp are going to give you the same results. You just need more of them. (I wish we could get brighter than 18w (75w) at the home stores.)

Coop

BTW--this is a Ferenc Tumpek hunter from Europe. Beautiful!

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 01-13-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Guru

Dang, that does look nice Coop. Man, ive never spent so much time on one thread.....

Ok, Finished up a knife tonight and took it to the STUDIO...haha. I messed around a lot with the lights angle, turned the top one off, Aimed them different and took a TON of pics. These are the best three that I came up with without tweeking the camera at all. Left it at the settings I had last night. Theres still a ton of improvement to come.

I doctored them up a little in PS and goofed around with the frame. I spent very little time on my background setup, position......etc. Im really trying to work on LIGHT and clearness of my pics..

Here's the results, sorry if they are too big. Looking forward to the much needed advise.

Shane

Old 01-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Skilled

Thanks Steve. My photos are not quite up to the "Coop" level yet.
I am using fixtures similar to the ones Coop mentions with GE Reveal bulbs. I still have to adjust the color balance a bit. I would like to try the CFL 5000k lamps.

Bill

Old 01-14-2005, 06:43 AM

Shane,

you have very good lighting at this point. You are still working too hard on props. All I see is a jumble of equipment & fabric and a knife lost in it. I swear Terrill is the only one who can pull that off well. And we ain't Terrill!

Maybe it's your camera or the focus, but they are *just a tad fuzzy*. Make sure you set it on macro. The camera has so many items to focus on, it lost the star...

Good work nonetheless.

Bill, I'd like to see you convert over to the fluorescents and give us a back-to-back for our info. Will you do that please?

Coop

Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Guru

Ya, These pictures are definatelly not to learn backgrounds and layout of the knife but other than to get lighting right. For example it seems in all photos im gettting some hot spots on the right, especially on the wool. I understand that with each picture the lighting is going to change with the background and props that are in there but as I am educated in here, it will help to change the lighting up to get the best picture possible. Im going to redo my box tonight to allow for a more portable light stand like yours Coop that will allow me to move them around more.

The KEY thing here is.......Im learning that theres more than just one button on the camera :-)

Thanks again,

Shane

Old 01-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Hall of Famer

The fact that we all keep trying different things, that's what shows that this forum is so beneficial. We listen to our elders, our experts, and to each other, and learn things, cool! Shane, send me your address and I'll be happy to UPS you one of my longstar 5000K lights to try out. Unless in the meantime you find something close to you. I sure don't mind sending one. I keep fiddling around with backgrounds, WB, exposure, DOF, light settings (where the light stands are actually "positioned" outside the tent), and some other things. I will never equal the worst photograph of most of you guys, but I'm getting close to what will suit me I think, and I'm learning some options to use along the way. I'm beginning to take a self pride in my photography work, even though to me it's still a hobby.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 AM

Gentlemen,

I am relatively new to this site and mainly hang out in the Sheath Making Forum and, as a hobbyist leathercrafter, was naturally drawn to the talent that exist in that forum. I also enjoy photography and had been trying to figure out how to get the same photo quality when photographing my knife sheaths and gun rigs. I have to tell everyone here that it would have taken me years to learn what I have learned in this single thread.

What a great bunch you are and I appreciate the volume of sharing that I see. It is the same admirable trait I find from the likes of Chuck Burrows and Sandy Morrissey in the Sheath Forum.

Also, I don't know whether to thank you guys for this but I was so motivated by this topic that I ordered a Canon 20D with the 24-70 lens and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival today.

Thanks again.

Bobby Lewis
Missouri City, TX
Old 01-14-2005, 12:07 PM

Hey Bobby! Well, this is inspiring. Exactly what I wish to hear. Your wife, however, is going to KILL us!

Keep us posted. Even when it all looks apparent, it STILL ain't easy. I can help you with that 20D when the time comes.

Coop

Tags
blade, knife, knives