MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:21 PM
5Trey5

bending brass

To bend brass for guards--- is it heated a little in the forge or just cold hammered? Thanks, Trey.
Old 05-30-2001, 05:20 PM
JohnHChris

Hey Trey,
I don't have experience here but nobody has responded so here are my 2 "newbie" cents worth. I remember reading a comment from Geno (I think) on another thread to the effect that you can heat and quench brass to anneal it - the opposite of ferrous metals, then work it cold. Good luck, John
Old 05-30-2001, 05:28 PM
JohnHChris

Ooops, Found Ed's (not Geno's comment below). Sorry guys, will check more carefully next time.

I am a little zingy as I just did my first stint on a grinder - boy was that fun. Reground a blade on a 25 yr old lockback that I had used to cut a live 110 V line - blew a chunk out of it - and just could not toss out thinking some day . . . Now to get down to business and start grinding my own stuff!! John
Old 05-31-2001, 09:52 AM
Geno

John, we're here to help you to, buddy.
Anything you need help with.
Ed answers more.I'm a computer Dummy.
We try, along with the best group of knifemakers anywhere in the world.
I seldom try to bend brass. It breaks too easily.
Annealing is the best way as Ed stated.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:08 PM
JohnHChris

Hey Gene,

You guys are a great help to us newbies. I think some posts got crossed or duplicated and I came in a bit early on this. I WILL be asking more questions in the near future as I just started grinding and jumped on the life-long knife making learning curve. Have your video on order so I will soon see how you approach things. Best, John
Old 05-31-2001, 10:10 PM
Geno

I'm sure it's different than anything you are used to.
There is a lot of info there. Let me know what you think and questions you might have. BE BLESSED!!!
Old 08-06-2001, 08:16 AM
Fireball

i've used brass on several projects in locksmithing --to make some small thing for a safe or certain rods for various stuff. like everyone else has said it Breaks easily. i have had some success by using mapp gas and heating /bending Very Slowly ---the thicker the material the slower---sometimes i let it cool and come back later to bend a little more --repeating the process until i get the degree of bend i need. you might give it a try and see how it works for you.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making