MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cold Steel Cult
HF 1 x 30 Grinder

I have been checking out a 1 x 30 belt grinder from Harbor Freight. I was wondering whether it would be sufficient width to use for knifemaking. It is 1 x 30 inch, with a 1/3 hp motor running at 3450 sfpm and it has a 5 inch disc sander on the side of it. I understand that Harbor Freight is not exactly Wilton, , but I am tiring of my 4 x 36 because it is wayyy too long!

Thanks all!

Jon

Old 02-09-2005, 11:35 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Don't waste your money. Not enough power, and not enough belt. (For blades -- it'll work fine for some handle shaping duties.) If you try to grind blades with this, you'll be ready to pay someone to take it away from you.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
I would kind have to disagree with Jamey.

If you are just starting out, not really sure if this is something you are definately going to stick with, or monitarilly challenged, a 1x30 is not a bad grinder to start out with. Doing some tasks will be difficult I won't deny it. However, this was my first and is my only grinder at the moment. I feel it has definately paid for itself and then some. Mind you I am building a new one, as I feel I have out grown this little guy. I am currently building my own 2x72 belt grinder made from scratch. At this time it looks like I'm going to just be under the $200 mark. (This is off topic, if anyone is interested I could do a tutorial and photo layout of this grinder?!) Ultimately, the choice is up to you and what you feel you will be doing with it, and if it will fulfill your needs.

Chris Nilluka
Old 02-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast

Chris

That would be great if you did a tutorial on the grinder build.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Master

while i agree its not the best choice out there, right now im making a 1/8x8x2 kitchen knife with file so compared to my "grinder" with all of one arm "horsepower" id say its an improvement

Bill

Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
OK, OK...Maybe I overstated my case a bit. My point was that if you can wait a little longer and save up the money for something larger (even a 4x36 has more power, and it's what I used for 5 years) you won't regret it. The biggest mistake one can make is to buy inferior tools. If the tool you're using doesn't have the guts to do the job, what's the point? I know that the 1x36 would be an improvement over "elbow grease", I'd just encourage you to try to save for something more adequate. The Grizzly grinders are around $350, and while I know that's way more than the 1x36 costs, it's way more grinder.

If it's all you can afford, go for it. But consider saving for a real knife grinder, or at least the 4x36. It's got enough HP to do a fair amount of grinding, and the wide belt will grind a blade better than the 1" one.

Just my opinion...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I started with a 1x30 also. It truly is not enough grinder for use on blades unless you are making 2" or 3" small, thin blades. That kitchen knife of Bill's wouldn't happen on a 1x30. The belts wear out almost instantly when you attempt to grind a larger blade of that tiny grinder. Due to the low horse power you have to work very carefully and slowly, no such thing as hogging metal off the blade. Also, the number of different grits and the types of belts you can get are limited. A Grizzly grinder will cost 4 or 5 times what a 1x30" will cost but it's worth saving up for (or you can build your own).

What do you mean your 4x36" is too long? Is it too big for your work space? The longer the belt the better off you are, generally speaking. It may be too wide and it doesn't have a contact wheel but I can't see it being too long......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-10-2005, 08:40 AM

Jon, I missed in your first post where you stated that you already have a 4x36. If you go to a 1x36, you'll definately be taking a step down. It is grossly underpowered for grinding blades, even compared to the 4x36, which is by no means a "hoss" when it comes to blade grinding...

Old 02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

my thoughts

When I first started I got one and also had a bench wheel type grinder. I removed most of the extra steel on it then used the small belt grinder for straitening lines and cleaning up. I still have it and use it for slack grinding on small curved parts in finish work. I built my bench grinder from an old washing machine motor and a 5 dollar auger. Found a stone wheel at a garage sale and that was what I used for over 5 years. Low power means you take it easy and it takes a bit longer (actually a lot longer), but you can do anything you need on it. I bought a big belt grinder and think how did i live without it, but before I got it I did not know what I was missing.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Skilled

Well, I don't know about blade grinding, being a forgist, but Sears has a 2"x42" belt/disk sander for $100. Pay an extra $15 and they'll fix just about anything on it *ALTHOUGH THEY'RE SLOWER THAN BLASTED CHRISTMAS DOING IT!!!* (Sorry, my own belt grinder was supposed to be back from the shop Jan. 28 and it will be sometime in March before I get it, if there are no further delays. )

The point being: it's probably a lot better than the Harbor Fright unit, even if not quite a professional tool, and it works pretty decently for handle-shaping. Might consider it instead. 8o

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cold Steel Cult
Wow... lots of posts. Thank you guys for all the input! I am what you would call monetarily challenged at the moment, and i think it would be worth the 30$ it cost to buy the 1 x 30 with NO disc sander. I think i will definitely get the 2 x 42 eventually, but at the moment I have no job! Im 15 lol. Anyway I am building a new addition to my bench, so space is a little tight until i get that done! I think I'll buy the stripped down model with no disc (no idea why a disc sander would double the price??) for handle, small knife and bolster grinding. Thanks again for the amazingly quick responses!

- Jon

Old 02-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Skilled

sander

I have the combo 1X30 and disc......I cant afford a larger grinder and for the time being, i GREATLY favor hand files for blades to the 1X30....maybe i need way more practice but i can huff off more steel with a 16" bastard file with far greater accuracy than on the tiny 1X2" platen.....For what its worth, though, the little 5" disc sander on the side has paid for itself. I use it for everything. From rough shaping bolsters to scales, i always find myself going back to it. It alone was worth the price....im just starting out and so far for tools, I wish id just bought the drill press i recently purchased, and a nice 8" disc.....i kinda like the feel of a file on steel......
Old 02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Registered

I also have a 4x36 grinder. For the flat blade it is enough for the one knife every couple of months that I put out. It cannot do a decent plunge cut nor do the curves of a handle very well. It takes forever to hog out anything over 1/8".

For a while I was able to sneak the knife I was working on into the factory and use the various Bader and Hammond 7hp 3x132 grinders for hogging and the 1/2x60 Burr Kings for the plunge cuts and handle work. Now that option is severely limited so I am looking for another grinder.

If I had the money to spend on a grinder at the moment, I'd get a 2x40/42 or a 1x30 to augment my 4x36

I would hate it, I would swear at it but it would do what the 4x36 couldn't do.

I'd also be saving for a better grinder but I'd be able to make knives just a little easier.

Joseph E. Cabaup
Littleton, NH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
T. E. Lawrence Seven Pillars of Wisdom
Old 02-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Master

i just bought a 4x36 from home depot nothing big but better than nothing, im going to do some mods to the platen so i can do real clean flat grinds. time will tell but i think this will work better than my file

bill

Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

All my knives have been ground on a 1 x 30. An old delta. I do use only kningspor belts, more expensive but hold up longer. Also I generally don't make blades longer than 3 inches. Just remember to keep a container of water handy, the short belts do heat up.

Tags
blade, knife, knives