MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Guru

Some equipment questions and opinions

Hey Guys so There have been a few pieces of equipment I have been wanting for a while now and in a month I should have the finaces to get at least some of this stuff. Well the first thing is a press for messing around with Damascus. Doing it by hand is getting old quick. I have narrowed it down to 2 either the Ron Claiborne press ( http://hightemptools.com/hydraulicpress.html ) Or the uncle al's press ( http://www.riversidemachine.net/ecom...lic-press.html ) Does any one have any opinions? ever used them? seen them? I have asked a couple people already and haven't heard anything bad about either one. The uncle al's is $1500 cheaper but the ron Claiborne press comes with 8 sets of dies. Wich I guess I could make my self. Just wondering if any one that I haven't already asked has any experience with either of these OR even another press I may have over looked.

So second I have been thinking about changing my KMG from the 3 speed pulley system to a variable speed. I have never used a variable speed one. Is it worth the cash it would take? what would I be able to do with a variable speed that I may be limited on with the pulley.

Another thing on the KMG is the rotary platen ( https://beaumontmetalworks.com/produ...ten-attachment ) Does any one have this or has any one used it? I have a few ideas of where it may help things but I would love to know what its good at from someone that has actually used one.

Lastly Is I want to get a disc grinder that I can set up vertical like a table almost. So I don't have much knowledge at all on disk grinders and I have seen everything from one on Beaumont metal works for $1000 to a grizzly one for $200 bucks...What would the key things I would need to look for. I would like to have it to help with flats on the blade. I have seen It done and looks eaisier and comes out better I think than doing it on a platen (not that it cant be done on a platen I have done it up to this point) So obviously I would need the disk to be dead flat but other than that I have no clue about these things......................THANKS GUYS!

Tags
anvil, bee, blacksmithing, blade, damascus, dies, disc, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinder, hammer, hand, hidden, kmg, knife, knives, make, making, press, sand, simple, steel, stone, tang