MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-05-2001, 08:16 AM
vdkknives

AAAARGGGG - I broke it, can we fix it?

Last night I was putting final fit to an 18" long dagger with a hidden tang. I had the handle ready, layers of Tagua, African Blackwood and Cocobola. The blade is 3/32 440C concave ground with a mirror finish. It had a 4" tang. I looked at the blade and realized that the tang was not square to the blade by a couple of degrees so I stuck the tang int the vise and pushed. Guess what? I snapped the tang off clean at the blade, then I said a whole bunch of not nice words especially after I realized I had forgotten to temper the blade. Its the little things that get you. Then I noticed that I had taken most of the skin off the nuckle of my thumb, more bad words followed. Anyways I now have a 12" blade with no tang what so ever and I need some help to figure a way to reattach the tang so that I can use it for the knife. All help greatly appreciated. By the way I do not have the ability or the equipment to weld.
Thanks
Steve

Old 06-05-2001, 12:05 PM
Don Cowles

Steve, if you can't weld, I think you are hosed. Another of the myriad lessons along the path to perfection. We never get there.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:54 PM
MIKE KOLLER

send it my way i can fix it !:

Just kidding ,but here is a suggestion .Take what you have,grind you another tang,square it all up for your guard and make you a coulpe of choil cuts.It will all turn out fine.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:38 PM
Geno

Get it brazed.
A brazed joint has a better tensile strength.

The joint will be covered up and will look good.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, knife