MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Alternative Dyes: Steel Wool/Vinegar, Walnut, & More

I will be copying this post from the old CKD to here ASAP.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 06-19-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Guru

Hi Chuck, Just testing.This font size is a little small for the old eyes, but the layout is cool.Dave
Old 06-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Dave - if you're using IE5 or above - click on View, Text SIze and select one size bigger - you can then change it back for other pages.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

There was so much good information shared on the Sheath Making Forum over the last month... Is all of that just "lost" due to this migration?

-Alex
Old 06-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

ALex- we're not sure yet - but if there is something really important you want to keep I would recommend going to CKD and saving the page or copying and putting it into a save it file.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Steel wool in vinegar dye

Hi!
I'd read thread at this forum about steel wool in the vinegar dye, excellent info, thanks!

I did it too (for 14 days), but how to store it: remove wool, with wool, for how long, at the room temperature or in the refrigerator?

Thanks,
Brett

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

HI Brett -- I think that was my post, so I'll answer -- I don't know (yet) the best way to store it, right now I have a batch cooking up in a large Planters Peanut jar next to my work bench. It seems to reach full strength at about 2 weeks, at which time I remove the wool and filter the whole mess thru a Mr Coffee filter. Then it just goes back on the shelf at room temperature. If you want to put a glossy, deeper black finish on after using the vinegar/wool mix, one coat of spirit based Fiebings usually does a great job. I've found an advantage of the vinegar method is thatit really penetrates well -- the finish isn't as prone to scratching down to the natural leather color.
Dont you just love the smell!! I suggest air drying sheaths outdoors unless you really like the vinigrette atmosphere in your shop. Wonder if an uncured sheath would draw rabbits?
MtMike

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

It will keep longer in the fridge, but it sure doesn't go bad quickly either way.

Another "natural" dye - brown - is to take a plug of chawing tobacco (break it up real good - W & B cut though is loose and works the best and an alternative is plain pipe tobacco or a couple cheap cigars) and add a pint or os of alcohol depedning on how much tobacco (about a 4 to 1 ratio works good). Let it set a couple of weeks and then strain it good, being sure to squueze out all the "juices" from the baccy. Looks kind of funky when first applied but it gives a real nice rich brown. Experiment on scrap as always.

Chuck

PO Box 5174, Durango, CO 81301
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

anyone ever tried
Black walnut husk juice on leather? We have some walnut trees next door, we shelled some a few years ago. ya wait till the husks turn black, crack them with a hammer, and the insides are like this iodine coated fiber (not really iodine, but it stains your hands that way) It be an interest color to try. this might be something I'll give a shot at in the fall. Don't know how the leather will react to it though.

Lara

Pratt Bard

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Lara-
That's another old timer. Soak them in alcohol just like the tobacco or I know some guys have just steeped them in water for a couple of hours. Stainless steel pan is best if you do that.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I'm also told it used to used like a stain or a paint on wood in the old days. The man reason why barns are all red. was cause the walnut (the coating around the walnut shells) husks were used as a cheap paint back them. Pretty cool stuff, though if you going to do it, wear rubber gloves. the stuff doesn't wash off, it wears off! I had reddish brown hands for about a month from taking the fruit part off to get to the walnut, that we then had to dry so that we could crack and eat! LOL

anxious to see how leather takes the stuff.
Lara

Pratt Bard

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to do some trading for some next fall if you're into that.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds good
Have to see how the crop is this year after the hard winter. Goodness. and if the neighbor will let us have some. and figure out how to send it..LOL

Next time I get out I'm picking up some steel wool to try that other trick! Need to start collecting empty bottles for this stuff.
Lara

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Lara -- you and Chuck bring out a good point about wearing gloves when handling the walnut concoction. An advantage of the steel wool/vinegar is that it does NOT stain your hands. In fact I've made a batch that never turned any darker than a dirty gray in the bottle, but still turned the leather quickly. I haven't tried a second coat of another color dye over the vinegar, but that might be worth doing, say a bright red. And before anybody asks, yes, I have tried (unintentionally) blood as a stain. It was right after that I discovered harness needles
Mike

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Ahh Yes Mike
I think we all tried blood as a stain at one point. Once I was sewing a mint tin sheath. And my holes weren't the best there was. Well I stuck my needle in the hole wiggled it around trying to find the other hole on the other side and nothing. So I pushed..still didn't go through. Had a leather scrap in my hand to help push the needle through. Kept pushing till the needle FINALLY pierced the leather (did I meantion I'm using egg eye needles too) Unfortuantly the needle pierced the leather in my HAND! So now I have this scrap leather, that I realize should have been a tad thicker, and not used in the same spot repeatedly like I had been doing, sticking out of my hand. LOL

Apparently when I stabbed my hole (in the sheath I mean) I didn't go all the way through on one of them. Needless to say, I learned to ALWAYS look to make sure that awl is sticking well out the other side!

And as for the dye, from what i gathered from previous discussions it is a chemicial reaction that turns the leather black, so it really doesn't matter how dark your "brew" is. Can't wait to try this one!

Lara

Pratt Bard

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Tags
antler, blade, diamond, forge, handle, knife, knives, post