MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Howdy

Just wanted to say hello & introduce myself. I'm still new to this stuff, but took a 2 year rest when we moved from Tucson to northern New Mexico. We found a small town called Raton (means mouse or rat in Spanish), which is just 6 miles south of the Colorado line off of I-25. Much cooler here, winter & 9F this morning, so the shop will be a bit chilly today. Real estate is cheap here, so we were lucky to have found a nice older home with a 4 car garage, I have 2 bays to work in for a shop now (my wife & very understanding). I have one bay for wood & a 2nd for steel. I was a cabinet maker years ago, mostly worked in wood around construction in Tucson. Retired as a roof truss estimator after the last 20 years of work.

We retired in 2016 & I highly recommend it to everyone!

I'm just working with stock reduction now, some 5160 this time & will have to send out for heat treat. They're three blades, theme & variation, a simple Kiwaken type this time. I had to make changes as I went...

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/al...pictureid=4604

Here's a finished D2 blade, it's a stretched & expanded version of a Mule I did.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/pi...pictureid=4607

The grinder, made from hitch receiver steel (2 1/2" & 2") & some store bought parts, works well enough

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/pi...pictureid=4608

Here's another shop project from this year. I just started welding again, after 40 years.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome Noseoil! Thanks for introducing yourself and letting us know where you are. Most new folks don't do that. You seem to have been bitten by the knife bug pretty hard but you are well set up to handle it. Your blades look great and I don't think I've ever seen a nicer grinder build from such a simple start. Please post more pictures of your knives as you finish them. Welcome to the Knife Network and Happy New Year!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 AM

Thanks Ray, nice hearing a bit of feedback on my stuff. I'm still basically a newbie on this stuff, but I seem to have gotten the bug & can't get rid of it. Just got some more 5160 & 1095 from Admiral yesterday, but I've got a "few" other things I'm working on now, so it might be a little while until I post another finished blade, but I will as soon as I'm finished with the next batch (top picture in my post). Appreciate the kind words!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Guru

Pretty nice knives for a beginner. That grinder is surprisingly good for making it from leftovers. I live off I-25 too at the opposite end of the state in Las Cruces. Got tired of winter. Since I live in an apartment my grinders are on a heavy duty cart to wheel outside. I have a 2x48 Dayton and an old Delta 1x42 with 8" disc. I enjoy doing leather work too, came from making sheaths. Welcome to the Forum Noseoil.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:29 AM

Looks like you are well into the "addiction". Have to agree with Jim and Ray looks like you got it figured out pretty good. Like the homemade grinder. I made my first one, used it for 30 yrs+/-, until I bought out another maker's shop and garnished an almost brand new KMG Variable with most the bells and whistles. Funny thing is now I forge all my blades and rarely use the grinder except for profile clean up, final sharpening and handle shaping and finishing.
Spent a couple of summers in Raton when I was much younger - loved upland desert of NM. Hope you enjoy your retirement, I retired 12 years ago (got more "bosses" now than all my career years put together).
Welcome to the KNF.
Please continue to share your work.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
5160, art, blades, cheap, forge, grinder, heat, heat treat, home, knife, knives, made, mexico, ore, post, project, real estate, shop, simple, small, spanish, steel, store, welding, wood