MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Steel Addict

Progress on my 2nd kitchen knife - Kiritsuke

hi guys

Really wanted to share this with you.
I was planning to take a small break from knife making since the drawer is already full of bushcraft knives, and I wasn't feeling for making a new one.
But then i though why not make a kitchen knife that i actually get to use!

So as my first kitchen knife i mad a small honesuki and then i wanted to go bigger!

This is as far as i have come on my Kiritsuke project:
Steel: 80crv2
Thickness: 3,2 mm (1/8")
Length: 20 cm (7.9")

I did some updates to me 4x36 grinder so this is the first bevel i have ever made not using a file!

Then i made a small radius platen from some old oak wood, and this is the first hollow grind i have ever made:

I think its might have to small a radius on the platen, because the hollow seems a bit deep.

I was expecting to mess up the blade the instance I touched the platen, but it went way better than expected.
My finest belt i have for the grinder is 80 grid, so it is going to take some time handsanding this hollow.. :-)

I opted out of doing a taper on the blade, i can't really wrap my head around the process and i thought this project had enough of a challange in it.

Any pointers you can give me going forward?

Last edited by Rasmus Kristens; 05-15-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Congrats on your first hollow grind, overall it looks pretty good. Just as a note though, you rarely ever see a hollow ground commercial kitchen knife and there is a good reason for that. Go ahead and finish this knife and use it for a while. See if you can figure out why large kitchen knives are flat ground (the good ones, anyway)....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Steel Addict

i'm very curious about this one too!
I can imagine the feeling when slicing against your fingers seems weird. But its not a "real" hollow grind, the blade is flat near the cutting edge. I just saw thats how the high end Japanese knives are made.

Also the fact thats it's a chisel grind, which i havent tried before, might make a difficult knife for me to use.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I suppose part of the difference might be the types of food the Japanese prepare compared to the foods I'm more accustomed to. Large hollow ground knives should work well enough on small pieces of softer foods like fish and small vegetables. But on large vegetables that are firm like onions, radishes, or carrots (and cheese) the hollow grind can cause the veggie to break off before the cut is finished. Not the end of the world but not good in professional food prep. Wet veggies like tomatoes tend to firmly adhere to the curve on a hollow blade and can be a bit harder to get off the blade than when they stick to a flat blade. Chisel grinds work well for some operations but can be a challenge on others. Those are some reasons why we don't see hollow ground large kitchen knives in my country but, of course, most any design will work if you master its use ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Master

Looks good! Many challenges to work though on new designs. One can consider them part of the "enjoyment" in mentally figuring out how to do this-that.

I've predomantly made hollow ground with a few flat ground. The one on the side burner is a restration that has a large diameter hollow grind on the backside with a chisel grind.

Keep us posted!

Tags
belt, bevel, blade, bushcraft, ca, design, file, flat, grinder, hollow grind, how to, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, project, small, wood