MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Steel Addict

I'm back and making stuff happen

I got my tools out of mothballs and started building the shop out very aggressively a few months ago. Roughly 5-ish years ago I was just starting and active on here, life hit the fan HARD and I had to pack up ALL of my creative stuff and focus on survival. I'm back at it in a very well equipped shop, I have my YouTube channel set up and growing Curiosity Forge on YouTube, and I got some education from a bladesmith a little ways from home so my blades are a lot better than my first run. This knife was made at the request of a friend who is flogging it pretty hard to see how it takes the abuse. I made it out of leaf spring and did a differential heat treatment on it. It has smoothed out bevel lines because my grinder's graphite platen cover was totally gone and I hadn't yet figured out that it was the source of a lot of grind problems. The scales are made from an ironwood bowl/plate thingie I picked up at Goodwill for $1. I've also started making my own damascus steel from scratch so those blades should be showing up soon, especially when I finish off my edc kiridashi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davidknife.jpg (165.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg davidknife2.jpg (169.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:52 AM
Guru

very good....I am sure dusting off those tools felt real GOOD!!! the best tthing you can do when you use a new steel or material is to make sure it goes to some one that will really beat it up....I do stainless in a oven but usually I pass along new stuff to my uncle (he really beats his knives up....I mean REALLY) or I just go in the back yard and swing it around or "inside" testing for my small folders....either way don't put those tools away keep them out or they will get mad
Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Steel Addict

Absolutely. I'd already torture tested the leaf spring quite a bit and I've been dialing my tempering process in little by little. I have seen some edge retention issues with the previous knives so I had to adjust temperature and time. I think that one was 450° for an hour instead of 400 for 2 hour long cycles.

Tags
back, bevel, bladesmith, building, damascus, edc, education, finish, forge, grinder, heat, heat treatment, home, ironwood, kiridashi, knife, made, making, scales, scratch, shop, steel, survival, tools, wood