MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hello All!

Hope this is the right place for introductions, otherwise im really starting off on the wrong foot!

EpicFail48 here, im a somewhat amateur bladesmith based out of Springfield Missouri. Ive been messing around making blades for a few years now. I primarily make smaller fixed blades, 4 inches or less blade length, although i do also make the occasional chefs knife or larger hunting knife depending on the mood. I focus on stock removal blades in high carbon steels, i dont have a forge set up at the moment. I am starting to branch out into stainless steel blades though.

In addition to fixed blades, ive recently started moving more into the machining realm and making butterfly knives. Funnily enough, wanting a good butterfly knife for less than the exorbitant prices charged by the few companies who make them is what got me into knifemaking in the first place, and everything ive done has been working to that one goal. Ironically, ive probably spent the cost of a top of the line knife a few times over just on equipment...

Speaking of equipment, ive managed to outfit myself with a decent complement of tools of the trade. Ive got the fairly standard tools of the trade, bandsaw and a shop-made 2x72 grinder, files and the like. Ive also got some of the more niche stuff, like an electric heat treatment kiln, as well as a small lathe and milling machine. Nothing fancy, but enough for me to do what needs doing.

Thats all ive got for now. I look forward to sponging up as much information as i can, as well as chiming in when ive got something to say!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM
Guru

Epicfail....Welcome! By the way love the name.. You found the right place to learn. This forum is smaller when compred to others but we are all a lil tighter than you will find on other forums. And there are some guys here that have a huge wealth of knowlage. I have been doing this for a few years now but I learned most of what I know from the guys here and already have enough experience that I have started making flipper folders and I am trying to turn this in a full time career. I wouldt be anywhere close with the stuff I have learned here over the past years. It seems like you have already got some decent equipment...youll need that heat treat oven for the stainless you might want to look into getting liquid nitrogen fror the stainless too ALL stainless I have found benefits for liquid nitrogen but some NEED it. I do most of my work in stainless if you have any questions ask.....Other than that again welcome...
Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Welcome Epic! Grab a sandwich and fasten your seatbelt! You are in the right place. Good start is to run through many of the "Stickies" then learn to use the "Search" feature. Heck of a lot of good solid info is there for the looking/reading and will cut down on repetitive responses. Lot of good knifemakers here and an answer can be had for the asking either here on this subforum or one of the others here on KNF.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You came to the right place! We have an online Chat Room on Sunday evening at 5 pm Pacific, drop in if you have the time. A reminder with instructions is posted every Sunday morning....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Guru

So just thought below is a link to the first post I ever put up 2 years ago it is titled 1080 vs1084....but lets just say this was when I was BRAND new and it kinda went off the rails a bit ...well maybe more than a bit. there is 50 pages of questions I had and answer it might help you to skim though to see if you had any of the same questions.....

For all the guys that were here then. Can you belive that was only 2 years ago! seemed much longer i have deffintly made amazing progress in 2 years between everything i have learned the equipment i have gotten a hold of and the fact i am really trying to start things off o make this a career...CRAZY that was only 2 years ago!!

Here is the link happy reading LOL
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65716
Old 08-26-2017, 05:36 AM

Gheez Dt, you trying to scare him away right off the bat? He hasn't even gotten his tattoo yet.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Guru

TATOO!!! THATS IT..THey told me I needed to remove both of my middle fingers to join the club....now when there is a idiot driving next to me they think Iam rooting them on rather than flipping the bird...would have been nice if I could have gotten a tattoo!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

Wait, tattoo? Crap, I was told it was a piercing...
Old 08-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It is a piercing, but only your very, very close friends will ever see it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 AM
Guru

#### last night I went and got the tattoo now I am missing my middle fingrs I have a tattoo AND now I need to get a piercing too???....guys I think we really need to talk about this and get this figured out
Old 08-27-2017, 05:13 AM

Carrots make dandy prosthetics.........and they're good for you too!
The piercing's not so bad as long as you don't wear woolies, but it's easy to mess up the tattoo if you're a bladesmith. Using the wrong tongs, your work can flip loose at just the right moment.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Guru

carrots might work.....on this subject...man some people are just BAT ---- CRAZY I went to a large tri count fair yesterday its something my family has been doing since before I was even a though, There was a guy there his whole body was tattooed to look like lizard skin.....and I do mean everywhere he was wearing a green speedo to match but no sign of the tattoo ending there....and then as if that wasn't enough he had small plastic pieces (yeh I asked what it was) and they were implanted under his skin and I don't mean here and there I mean probilly about 10,000 of these things again WHOLE BODY so now his skin looks and FEELS like lizard skin......Honestly I want to know after he tattooed his entire body what went through his mind that made him think implanting thousands of pieces of plastic under is skin was a GOOD idea...so I aksed him ya know he said....." Now I don't have to work I can sit on my butt most of the time and then do shows and fairs like this I have much more free time"......lets just say my MIND BLOWN!!!!!!!!!! talk about going to the extreme just to be lazy lol
Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 AM

Apparently he didn't pay attention to either biology or history in school.........most us country boys know what happen to lizzards when they get old and slow. Don't even need to read to understand.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Hope this is the right place for introductions, otherwise im really starting off on the wrong foot!

EpicFail48 here, im a somewhat amateur bladesmith based out of Springfield Missouri. Ive been messing around making blades for a few years now. I primarily make smaller fixed blades, 4 inches or less blade length, although i do also make the occasional chefs knife or larger hunting knife depending on the mood. I focus on stock removal blades in high carbon steels, i dont have a forge set up at the moment. I am starting to branch out into stainless steel blades though.

In addition to fixed blades, ive recently started moving more into the machining realm and making butterfly knives. Funnily enough, wanting a good butterfly knife for less than the exorbitant prices charged by the few companies who make them is what got me into knifemaking in the first place, and everything ive done has been working to that one goal. Ironically, ive probably spent the cost of a top of the line knife a few times over just on equipment...

Speaking of equipment, ive managed to outfit myself with a decent complement of tools of the trade. Ive got the fairly standard tools of the trade, bandsaw and a shop-made 2x72 grinder, files and the like. Ive also got some of the more niche stuff, like an electric heat treatment kiln, as well as a small lathe and milling machine. Nothing fancy, but enough for me to do what needs doing.

Thats all ive got for now. I look forward to sponging up as much information as i can, as well as chiming in when ive got something to say!
welcome. nice to meet you

Tags
2x72, balisong, bee, butterfly knife, carbon, chefs knife, files, fixed, forge, grinder, heat, heat treatment, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, shop, stainless, stainless steel, stock removal, tools