MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

A Low priced 2x72" Grinder

These came up in our Chat Room discussions last night. I hadn't heard of these before but they have apparently been around for a few years.

http://stores.ebay.com/oregonbladema...p2047675.l2563

They seem to offer a very low priced entry point for a 2x72" grinder, comparable in price to a Grizzly but more versatile. I am not convinced of the long term durability of these grinders as they are built with some aluminum and nylon parts but a lot will depend on how much you actually use it. Also, by the time you add a contact wheel and a good motor, etc the total price could increase to the point where this unit isn't significantly cheaper than a KMG. Still, it is a 2x72" 3 wheel design that has a lower entry cost than I've seen before and for many beginners that might make all the difference....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Guru

You forgot my Russian one Ray.LOL

Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

No, I didn't. I try to be careful about anything thing I suggest a noob invest in. The Russian product could be great but an international order isn't something I'd suggest without some dependable feedback from people who owned the product ...

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Guru

It does look pretty good. I have a KMG so my opinion may be a little swayed. But seems like a KMG knock off like some others out there. I haven't done the research but I would be interested in a side by side comparasin both to other "knock off" and the kmg. I did see one that looked JUST like this at the blade show. I THINK I have a card from the guys. But its in my car packed in the suitcase if I even still have it...when I get home ill look and put up a link
Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Sure, it is a KMG knock off. These days, you'd almost have to be nuts to make a grinder radically different from a KMG and expect it to sell very well. While looking at the eBay listings for this one I also saw a radically different one for even less money, I think it was from Serbia or somewhere in that area. Looked like it would work just fine but it probably won't sell well over here because a) it's from far over seas and b) just too odd looking ....

Old 06-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Guru

Ray, correct if I'm wrong, but doesn't a KMG looks a lot like a knockoff of an old Burr King?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Guru

if anything a kmg looks more like a bader than burr king
Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM

I've never seen a Burr King that resembled a KMG in any way. That may well be why the Burr King, once the top dog among knife makers, is now hardly mentioned even though they still sell and advertise.

The KMG does look more like a Bader if the Bader was on steroids and worked out daily. A Bader is an excellent grinder but the market seems to like the heavier KMG more......

Old 06-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Guru

Bader

Sorry Ray, Bader was what I was thinking about. A shop I worked in that made custom hand rails and stair rails had 3 of them and they did look like KMGs, but solid cast iron frame if I remember correctly. They had extensions for small wheels. Those things ran 8 hours a day as no weld went out of our shop that looked like a weld. They were not weak machines Ray and are still running according to an old co-worker there.

Walter Sorrells uses one he has had for at least 15 years or at least the motor is. Here is his video showing an old Bader and it doesn't look like a weak grinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfa9q-K4BK0&t=682s

Sorry about the Burr King mix up, I remember they made the square wheel grinders and in the 90's had an open motor option, stupid for a metal grinder. Doesn't save money if it explodes.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Never meant to imply the Bader was weak. The ones most knife makers see these days is the Bader III, I believe. A fine machine and will last a life time but still lighter built than a KMG (but I'm just judging by what I can see in the pictures). The KMG seems to have the advantage in available accessories as well...

Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Guru

I agree with ray I know 2 people and have seen the badder work.,...Its not a bad grinder at all, BUT as ray said it is deffinitly a lightweight when compared to the KMG....I can grind more steel quicker with my KMG...and I also think KMG has more attachments out there now. I will give one thing to the bader it is #### near silent when compared to my grinder, So if you need to keep the noise down yeh its great but I think its also another point that the KMG is a heavier grinder for sure..........
Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Steel Addict

I've purchased a drive wheel and tracking wheels from this site when I was building my NWG. They were pretty quick and the product was good. I like them.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Guru

Not sure about the actuall quality never seen one in action but they were also at the blade show advertising a couple of there grinders http://www.wilmontgrinders.com/ They are not any cheaper but they are a KMG-ISH grinders
Old 10-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Steel Addict

I haven't seen one of the grinders, but those plastic wheels are what I have on my PBF Sling grinder. I don't use it constantly, and I doubt they are as good as aluminum, but they do work fine. They also offer the same grinder with aluminum wheels for just a little more. You can get their grinder, vfd, and motor for around a grand.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Steel Addict

This looks kind of interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Grinde...item3d44be6db8

Tags
2x72, bee, blade, blade show, burr king, card, case, custom, design, grinder, hand, home, iron, kmg, knife, made, make, makers, motor, noob, nylon, sell, show, video, weld