MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

cracked me up

So I was foolish and tried edge quenching file steel in water....4 sec in ping,ping,ping.

water wasn't hot enough....heat may have been off on the spine I dunno. edge tried to separate from the spine. First time I've done this and it wasn't a waste. just disappointed because it was going well.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Why were you thinking that steel would water quench? Not many steels do...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Hall of Famer

All sorts of stresses going on in that quench with the edge contracting a lot faster than the spine. Even with a full edge first quench like they do with katanas have relatively high failure rate. I think if those old Japanese swordsmiths hand Parks #50 they would have definitely used it.

Doug

Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Guru

I actually watched a video where a guy went to japan and sat down with a guy that is a master sword smith and his father was and his father and so on and so on....They keep that stuff in the family over there. But he does everything just as his ancestors did. Including quenching in water. He said that even after all that work....and they do ALOT of work.....just think we use things like a kmg grinder. Now think if some one took your grinder and handed you a series of polishing stones! I think a lot of people would give up and the ones that didn't the price of their knives would SKYROCKET. But anyway this guy said even the best sword smiths only have a 60% success rate with water...Like I said imagine doing all that work just to watch 40% of your blade break in half....But they do it the "old" way on purpose not only are these men creating absolutely amazing swords in every way. But they are the sole owners of a craft and tradition that goes back hundreds and hundreds of years. They teach there apprentices to do it the same way to keep this tradition alive. I would like to think that 1000 years from now when we are all flying around in our cars and have colonies on mars that somewhere there will be a sword smith polishing his swords with stones and quenching in a bucket of water. Who know by then we might have a material that is better than steel and doesn't need to be heat treated who knows. I bet there will be a few of these sword masters still around....I had to watch that video 2 or 3 times cause the subtitles in English went by so fast. It was about a 20-30 min video. I thought I had it in my favorites took a quick look didn't see it I will check again and post the link if I can find it. its a cool lil video
Old 05-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

I start by stating I was being foolish

Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Guru

No worries part of the game...
Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 AM

Just don't forget what you learned.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Guru

Yeh if your like me you will only have to make the same mistake 3-4 times before you learn LOL
Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM
Guru

There is hardly a mistake worse in knifemaking than having your blade TINK! Ping! CRACK! while quenching it. Try D2 and have it crack a week later. Oomph! Never had a knife do it, but had some D2 machine parts crack later. Called the pros at Hinderliter HT for that one.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Skilled

I have no problems experimenting and especially with old files rather than expensive steel. That in and of itself isn't foolish necessarily, it's how we learn.
But, IF you are going to try water quenching, I'd suggest a brine solution, heated and don't try edge quenching. I'd also maybe suggest not doing your initial bevel grinding, but save that after the tempering process. My (limited) experience in brine quenching yielded less than satisfactory results. Make no mistake, you WILL get a nice hard blade, but.... The times I've tried it, post grinding, resulted in some pretty significant warping and worse, a "wave-warp" which was impossible to remove and resulted in a broken blade. Just plan on dealing with warping at the very least.
Grinding out the profile and quenching before the bevel grinding would be less likely for any significant warping(though I never tried it before beveling) and IF you get a break, you haven't lost all that time and effort of grinding your bevel.

I've never heard of anyone trying specifically edge quenching in brine however, but suggest reading Doug's response above again.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 05-16-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, craft, edge, file, first time, forge, grinder, hand, heat, hot, japan, japanese, knife, knives, make, material, post, steel, teach, video, water