MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Guru

Unique video mini hollow grinder ...one hand to grind!

Hey guys came across this video figured I would share it. Deffinitly something I have never seen before and its amazing this guy does a perfect mini hollow grind on this little grinder he made (prototype) with 1 hand....check it out like I said I don't know if you guys have seen something like this but I haven't deffinitly unique in my book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhe0NNYLYv4
Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Guru

Thumbs up Interesting concepts in the video.

Has me thinking about how I may be able to convert my 2x48 grinder to do that type of hollow grinding. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard for the way my grinder is set up. I would just have an adjustable table and get a urethane covered drive wheel for my grinder. Use a table made from 1" thick aluminum and a granite surface plate from Tandy leather. Wouldn't cost very much at all except the custom made contact wheel. I also like the grinding jig for the flat platen too. That would be easy to make as well.
Thanks for the link Dave.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

saw that the other day. all kinds of cool.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Guru

Yeh I was thinking about it as far as doing it with bigger wheels 8-10 in...really all you need is a table you can adjust very accurately. and mount it under the wheel. I think the table would have o be made or modified from something because you need VERY fine adjustment of the height. I cant think of anything you could buy ready to go and be that accurate. I was thinking you could modify a old stand up modle drill press. You wouldn't need the actual drill press. Cut the top off and just use the colum and the table....Lets just say I am not chopping up my drill press for it tho.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Guru

A simple screw and shim system is all you need Dave. There are machinists screw stands you can modify to do it fairly cheaply and you can make your own screw stands as well. Left you a message Dave in your PM.

Tags
book, buy, custom, drill, easy, easy to make, flat, grind, grinder, grinding, hand, hollow grind, interesting, jig, leather, made, make, make your own, mount, press, simple, surface, video, wheels