MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Home Built Grinder

I have been reading this forum for a long time and have used information generously shared by members to build my grinder. I would like to say thank you to those who so unselfishly share information. This source made the task of building a grinder so much easier.
A few pics of my humble attempt.
Regards
Gavin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grinderrs1.jpg (349.1 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Grinderrs2.JPG (269.9 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Grinderrs4.JPG (415.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Grinderrs8.JPG (469.2 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Guru

Looks very professional and hi quality.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

curious on the dust/grit collector you have hooked up...is that something you made also? could you tell me more on that, would like to incorporate on my grinder.

thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Very well done and very well thought out beforehand. The bench, storage, dust collector, etc. Great!!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM

I did build the dust collection unit. It consists of two tanks, one wet and one dry, the wet one being on the right. The tank contains 8L of water and a surface tension releasing liquid.There is a diffuser on the intake that creates a vortex that forces all the dust particles to the bottom of the tank. This should hopefully eliminate any hot sparks in the system. I did this purely as a safety feature.
There is a valve at the bottom of the tank which allows for daily draining and cleaning. A filler cap is incorporated in the top of the tank so filling it is easy.
Very little grit passes the hopper so the machine stays relatively clean.
The left dry tank was added to protect the vacuum pump from the water in the right tank. Other than a little moisture in the left tank, nothing accumulates there.
The vacuum pump was salvaged from an industrial carpet cleaning machine so it is a really heavy duty industrial unit and creates a lot of vacuum.
Two changes that I have to make. the first being replacing the plastic vacuum hose with a stainless steel one. The other, I have to lengthen the plate that supports the hopper. It is too short and thus the hopper too close to the work area which is a bit of an issue.

Don, thank you for the compliment. Coming from you means a lot!!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 AM
Registered

I've been trying to make my own grinder for years but have had limited success... I ended up buying one in the end (even though they have to import them!). Homemade grinders just tend to give endless hassles to be honest, from my personal experience. Rather pay more for piece of mind and reliablity
Old 01-15-2017, 08:00 AM

I built Tracy Mickley's 'No-Weld' grinder years ago from scrap metal.

I never even painted it.

The wheels and motor were the only real expense. The structural components were less than $20.

I've used KMG, and I've used my 'Frankengrinder'. I find no difference in ease of use or the quality of work I can produce.

There is great pride in building and using your own tools. Yours is an excellent example of craftsmanship--a thing of beauty. You could sell those!
I hope it serves you well.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-17-2017, 04:20 AM
Registered

Looks good.Excellent craftmanship.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Well done Gavin! This is a great example of meticulous workmanship....one of the best homebuilds I have seen
Old 06-02-2017, 05:05 AM

Nice grinder!I bought the same wheel set for my grinder. Two 50mm flats and one 50mm crowned. I did a mod on my wheels. I popped the bearings out and inserted a section of schedule 40 1/2" pipe. Seems to be working. I have 37 hours on the grinder without any problems.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Master

Awesome , looks like a nice blend of the big 3 , well done , when will these be for sale ?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

Nice set-up. You did a lot of planning before construction. It ought to serve you well!!!!!!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast

Your grinder looks great Bushbuck. I have no doubt it will give you endless results with proper maintenance!

Tags
awesome, bee, build, building, cleaning, collector, easy, for sale, grinder, home, homemade, hot, made, make, metal, motor, plastic, stainless, stainless steel, steel, surface, tools, water, weld, wheels