MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Steel Addict

Connor,
Thanks for the pic from the other angle I fully understand now! Also thanks for the link on the clamps. I have and idea for a version of KMG clone/MobyDick I have been kicking around in my head. I like the porability of MobyDick grinder but I also love some of the features of the KMG. My shop is not large and at times I need to move everything around and also I have a bad back so my whole shop just about is on wheels.
I really like this build so please keep us all informed, and lots of pics!

When you get finished I would love measurments on it!

Last edited by C Craft; 07-20-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

Measurements not a problem C Craft. I should have more time to work on the grinders very soon. I have been working on getting my new Ford 300 6 long block back into my truck after ithe old engine blew up a few weeks ago... I would much rather be working on my grinders and even better, working on my first of very many blades!!!

Connor
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Skilled

bump?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Steel Addict

Dang it, I seen this at the top and thought Connor had posted something new to this thread.
Still waiting!!!!!!This post was

Last edited by C Craft; 08-23-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry fellas, I had other projects taking point over this one for a short spell, but I'm happy to report I now have some spare time to keep moving. I will have updates to post very soon. Thank you for the interest!

Connor
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Steel Addict

"IT'S ALIVE"
Glad to hear you are still working on it, Connor!
Believe me I understand priorties. I have been trying to get my forge up and running , building a cart to contain it. Along with totaly revamping my shop. Trying to get together the componets for a grinder build. Not to mention the other half of dozen projects I have going here at the house. this getting depressing. Oh forgot to mention I keep my Grandson three days a week, that's the non-depressing part of it! Whoops just told my age, didn't I!
Looking forward to your updates!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Skilled

how's that grinder comin?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Steel Addict

Great design and frabricatin...you said you wanted to try Tig Weldin..Sumthin I could never get down( specaily Aluminum)..Two hands a foot..hard to do when you can't walk n chew gum at the same time.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Connor, did you ever finish this project?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCustomKnives View Post
In the case of a knife grinding motor, that's only true if the setup allows for variable speed.
More specifically, it needs to allow for much slower speeds.

You may be able to use a 3 or 4 step pulley based on your motors shaft length, but you're still gonna be running pretty fast at your slowest speed when using your average pulleys.

IIRC, the average belt speeds on your typical knife grinders are calculated using a 1750 RPM motor (give or take 50 RPM). On a 2"/3"/4" step pulley, I believe this will yield somewhere close to the following belt speeds:

3500 ft/min
1750 ft/min
800 ft/min

With a 3450 RPM motor, you are essentially doubling those figures, so that your lowest speed will be around 1600-1750 RPM, and your highest speed will be closer to 7000 RPM, which is pretty fast for a grinding belt (or contact wheels and bearings) to be moving.

You may want to make sure that your belts, wheels, and bearings can withstand these speeds and the resulting tempuratures, as this will heat things up a lot faster. Also, any vibration will be ampified, and parts could be quickly compromised.

You need to also consider that detail work which requires slower belt speeds will be a lot more difficult, if not impossible to do with 3450 RPM.

Ideally, one would have a VFD which adjusted between 0 FPS and 3500+ FPS. In this case, I can see why it wouldn't hurt to have more power and not need it, although you would still need to keep in mind the tolerances of your grinder parts, and the added dangers/difficulties that higher belt speeds can impose.

Just my $.02. Others may agree or disagree.

All that being said, that grinder looks like it's coming along superbly, and I can't wait to see the finished product! Lookin' good!

Yes on the speeds for knives. My research indicates slow speeds to finish an edge on most knives from pocket knife to long knife blades. The heat factor is one and I have seen products on the market that are using water and 3000 grit stone to keen up an edge.

As for sanding other item or preparing a knife build, speed is likely not issue.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

Well... Better late than never! Hahahahaha

I DID finish this grinder long ago. I use it nearly every day in my shop. I left it basic, but it works great for every day use!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

That was then... This is what I have been up to lately. I think I have it figured out.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sure looks to me like you have it figured out. I assume you're selling them since you have so many. You might want to quote a price because there are lots of guys here who suffer from grinderlessness .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray.

Yes, I posted them for sale in the classifieds. We started building them in volume months ago when we discovered that prices for these grinders was still in the "semi-ridiculous" range. We have have been using these grinders for years and I am being literal when I say we use them nearly every day. I use the grinders in my shop mainly for fabrication and could not do what I do without one!

We've met some extremely talented knife makers over the years and almost always, discovered they were turning out GORGEOUS blades with minimal tools. Every time we asked why they did use a 2"x72" grinder, the answers are almost always the cost factor. We simply want to get some quality grinders to the smiths that could really benefit from them, without the hefty price attached. We now build them in batches of eight. We start building more when we get down to two grinders.

Connor
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Registered

Hi Connor,

I saved this tread a long time ago to use it as a guide when i was going to build my own grinder.
But now all the pictures is gone..
is it something you could do to make them come back?

Best regards Stian

Tags
belt, belts, blade, blades, build, case, edge, folding knife, forge, grinder, grinding, heat, knife, knife making, knives, make, motor, pocket, pocket knife, products, project, sanding, stone, vfd, wheels