MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hello. Thanks again for the compliments on my welding, it makes the time I spent learning completely worth it. Actually, MIG welding is really very easy to do well once the heat and gas are right.

I have been anxious to get back to working on the grinders again. I have decided on how I will mount the springs. The spring install will be similar to most grinders using an adjustment nut for spring tension. I also decided on the toggle clamps I will be using to tension the Fenner link belt. Again, it will be similar to the Mobi-Dick set-up. Work has been a little crazy since I started up again after break-up (I am a skidder operator) and should calm down enough in the next couple of days to allow me to continue building the grinders. Will have more photo updates shortly...
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

Very interesting design. Can't wait to see the completed grinder.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hello fellas, I apologize for the lengthy delay in posting updates, I have just recently went back to work after a lengthy break-up and we have been going like mad since Monday. I managed to get the tension springs mounted last night but forgot to bring the camera along. I will post pictures this evening when I'm home from work. I went wiith a simpler method than the adjustable method on the KMG and some others. The springs are a fixed length and sit inside a 1.00" ID steel tubing "keeper". I made absolutely sure I was happy with the amount of tension supplied by the springs before cutting to length and installing.

Connor
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE

Ok, here is the spring installed. I kept it simple and made the spring tension without adjustment. I had the adjustment nut and keepers ready to go, but realized the adjustment provided by the nut just didn't really allow "much" adjustment. By that I mean that with the springs I am using if used with an adjustment nut would become much too tight with one complete rotation. This way I will be able to decide on the best spring length and simply shorten it as needed and pop the spring back in.

The toggle clamp mount plates have been cut and drilled and I plan to install them next. I also swapped out my flange bearings for pillowblock bearings and will need to make and drill the mounting platforms. More photos to follow soon.

Connor
Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Skilled

Everything looks great but one thing that concerns me is the size of the base.
It looks like if you laid into this grinder it would fall over. Of course im just going off the pics but it doesnt look stable enough. I hope im wrong.

Keep after it.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hello Shankmaker. I too worried about the base being too small untill I installed the motor when mocking it up. With just the motor in place the grinder becomes quite heavy and very stable. The upright portion of the grinder is almost directly in the center of the pedestal and directs any weight to rearward of center and onto the rear of the base. My platen and tool arms are all steel, which should help to bring as much weight over center as possible. If I find that the grinder in any way tends to want to tip when I am pushing steel into it, I will add a "heel" to help stabilize it before sending it for final powder coating.

Thank you everyone for your input! I greatly appreciate any comments, suggestions or feedback.

Connor

Last edited by Connor; 06-27-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Keep it up, Connor!

I want to see it all.

My Burr King sits on a small base and it's stable, even with the motor on top.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Skilled

How's the grinder comin?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

I'm feeling guilty about not having more photos to share yet. I have been working on replacing an engine in my pick-up and haven't had the extra time in the evenings to keep building the grinders. I have however, cut and drilled enough steel to build one more grinder. I also have the pillow block bearings, toggle clamps and their mounts cut and drilled and ready to install. As soon as I have my truck running and at the local Ford mechanic's shop being tuned, I will certainly get back into the shop and build more on the grinders. In all truth, I think of working on the grinders when I'm working on my truck.

More pics coming soon...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Those are a couple interesting looking grinders. I really like your integrated stands.

newberryknives.com
Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE

Small progress report, but progress just the same. I mounted the toggle clamps today. Here is a pic of the plates I used and the toggle clamps before welding and mounting.

The mount plates after drilling and welding the 1/4" nuts in place.

Here are the toggle clamp plates welded in place. You can see in this particular picture that I have a Vise-Grip located under the motor base. This is to best locate where the toggle clamp mount plates will be welded. In this location I allow enough adjustment to allow for varying link belt lengths and belt stretch. I will weld angle brackets on each motor base for the toggle clamps to push on. I did not have the angle I required today.

Both grinders with toggle clamps mounted. I spent a short amount of time catching up with the third belt grinder today.

I apologize for the fuzzy pictures, I used my daughter's digital camera today and I am not familiar with it. The next update should see the pillowblock mounts installed, nearly completing the larger portions of fabrication.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Skilled

I used to sell Burr King while I lived in Alaska and this one holds my interest more than anything else I have seen. Keep the info coming!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Steel Addict

I am liking this deisgn the more I see of it.
I have got to ask a question that is bugging me. In the last pic where you have the one with the motor setting beside the one that doesn't have a motor. The one with the motor on it, isn't the locking lever for the work slide in backwards or should I say on the wrong side?
Also the clamps did you have to modify them to work for this application?
Where did you get them?

In one of the pics of the clamps I thought I saw what looked like a blueprint. Is there plans for this grinder build?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 PM

This is getting more interesting with each picture posted.

newberryknives.com
Old 07-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Craft
I am liking this deisgn the more I see of it.
I have got to ask a question that is bugging me. In the last pic where you have the one with the motor setting beside the one that doesn't have a motor. The one with the motor on it, isn't the locking lever for the work slide in backwards or should I say on the wrong side?
Also the clamps did you have to modify them to work for this application?
Where did you get them?

In one of the pics of the clamps I thought I saw what looked like a blueprint. Is there plans for this grinder build?
Actually, I can see why you would think it looks like it's on the wrong side. I modified my grinders to use a 5/8" X 1-1/4" machined tool arm. I did this because the square tool arm would not work for my application. If you look at some of the earlier pics, you'll see what I mean. Here is a picture showing the tool arm channel.

The clamps I purchased from eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/302F-Straight-Li...3286.m20.l1116 I did not have to modify them to work. The toggle clamp mounts were built specifically for this toggle clamp. The blueprint you see is for that particular toggle clamp, I downloaded it before the clamps arrived so I could prepare the mount plates and lay-out how I would mount it. There are no blueprints for this grinder, but I would be happy to supply measurements for it if someone would like to build it.

Thank you for the compliments everyone, it helps drive me to complete them. I'm looking forward to sending them out for powdercoating!

Connor

Tags
belt, belts, blade, blades, build, case, edge, folding knife, forge, grinder, grinding, heat, knife, knife making, knives, make, motor, pocket, pocket knife, products, project, sanding, stone, vfd, wheels