MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Steel Addict

Belt grinder motor power

hi all

I'm planning on building a belt grinder 2x72".

I found a local smith who can provide me with steel tubing and steel plate for a good price.
Now i need to find a proper motor.

I found a really cheap second hand WEG motor. Its a TEFC motor with 1 HP, 1500 rpm and cast casing.
Would that be sufficient for a starter grinder? I think I will create a few drive wheels to control the speed.

What sizes drive wheels would be good?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer

The speed is right but 1 hp is minimal. It is usable but if you apply much pressure it could bog down on you.

Doug

Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Master

1HP is good though for heavy pushers, that is a minimum as Doug mentions. Depends what you may feel comfortable working with for your belt rates. Can use this to see what surface speeds you'll have with varying pulleys:
http://vintagemachinery.org/math/sfpm.aspx
https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Guys.

I have No experience at all, ill have to gain that. I Will buy the motor since its only around 50 bucks.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Master

May also consider a step pulley for varying speeds, similar to the drill press. Profiling is the time you can go hard and heavy. Doing the plunge cuts for the bevel I back down about half on the variable speed. Handle and similar finishing are quite low speeds. Experiment and see where your comfort level is.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:42 AM
Steel Addict

hmm a step pully is a very good idea! Would save some time changing the wheels all th time.

I'm extatic!
i just wisited a smith near me, and he flat out told me i could grab whatevery steel i needed and use his industrial size machines. He even told me he would teach me how to weld. So now my grinder project suddenly became a lot more likely to finish succesfully :-)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:59 AM

Check out the Moe's Belt Grinder DVD on the DVD's page and the video on the Grinders page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com. It does call for a VFD but you can make it with a single speed motor and step pulleys. It has no tubing in the build for a build with the tolerances much closer and no grindings causing the tool arm to get stuck. Keep in mind that you will lose power due to friction losses with the step pulleys, you will spend about $100.00 for the pulleys, belt, shaft and pillow blocks. That money and the $50.00 for the under powered motor could go toward the cost of a 1.5 or 2 hp motor and VFD. You would be amazed at the additional power, smoothness and less vibration with the VFD.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com

waynecoe@highland.net

706-273-8017
Old 10-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Personally id put 1hp almost on the underpowered side, itll work of course but it can be a little slow going. Ive got a 2hp on my grinder, and i can bog it down from time to time. I wouldnt want to go below 2hp, with 3hp being ideal in my mind. Got a 3hp 3phase motor waiting on mine, just need a vfd for it
Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 PM

I have carried my grinder with a 1.5 hp motor, 3 ph, with a vfd to numerous conferences and challenged bladesmiths to bog it down. No one has done it yet. Now we are talking about Bladesmiths, not stock removal guys. Bladesmiths forge their blades and are using their grinders to clean up their forgings, not profiling or grinding the bevels.

Let me know if I can help you.
Wayne.

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com

waynecoe@highland.net

706-273-8017

Tags
2x72, a, apply, back, belt, bevel, building, buy, ca, cheap, drill, forging, grinder, hand, handle, how to, motor, press, profiling, project, steel, surface, teach, weld, wheels