MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

FINALLY found tranquility in the hammer

I finally started work on my own forge. I'm still building out the shop, but it was time. I'm waiting on the hot punch for my maker's mark to show up, but I started working on a kiridashi as a gift for my dad. We aren't really speaking much right now but he keeps sending boxes of pen blanks and stabilized knife scales so I figured I'd send a present back. This is the first tip I've ever forged in instead of absolving a multitude of sins on the grinder and the first tang I've drawn down to narrow without just grinding it off. It ended up being made out of a piece of leaf spring that was split down the middle and cut to like 3 or 4 inches long. Valuable lessons have been learned recently about starting with MUCH smaller pieces of steel than I think I need. Good day at the anvil, the grinders are up for a workout next. I can NOT get a picture to upload or I'd share what I had so far.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Progress is a wonderful thing.

The picture problem might be that your pics are too large or its possible you might still have pics stored from long ago and have exceeded your limit. Are you getting any error messages when you try to store a pic?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Steel Addict

All it tells me is that it's an upload error. They're all pics taken on my phone which I guess the resolution could be too high, making it a few bytes too large. My bar on the top of the upload box says I've maybe used 5% of the space I have.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

File size has to be it. It's a 4.03mb picture. No idea how to make it small enough for here but I'll live. It's not like everyone here hasn't seen a ton of half-done projects.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, its the file size. Phones take ridiculously large pictures. But, it's pretty easy to fix that. Google for some free software that can be used to re-size pictures, there's lots of programs available. Then, depending on the software, you can set the pic to 72bpi and 8x6" and that would be a good size for this forum. A picture like that would be more in the range of 150kb, pretty much like any picture you see that I have ever posted ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Steel Addict

I'll take a look at that. I think I'm also going to look at getting the old digital camera back out and seeing if that can still be charged, it does well with pictures and never gave me issues on forums that seemed to be built on the same software this one uses.

Tags
a, anvil, arrow, back, bee, blanks, building, forge, forged, grinder, grinding, hammer, hot, kiridashi, knife, knife scales, made, maker's mark, pen, problem, scales, shop, show, steel, tang