MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Best Sandpaper, and where to buy it

I have heard that the sandpaper you use makes a significant difference, but never heard what the difference is. Is it faster, lasts longer, or does it give a better finish ect?

I have heard Rhynowet is good, and found some on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T9LDX675&psc=1

Does anyone know of a better place to buy it, that price is the best I found.

Rhynowet only has 220+, what sandpaper is recommended for 120 grit?

Finally, as a beginner knife-maker, is it worth spending money on the better sandpaper, or should I put my limited budget elsewhere?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Steel Addict

Buy the best sandpaper you can, it does make a difference.
Amazon is not the place to buy. Supergrit is the place to go for the Rhynowet at a much better price.
A piece of advice that I got early on was to use your belts and sandpaper like it was free. Very good advice. (obviously it's not free, but it eliminates a lot of problems when you use good stuff)
By the way, supergrit will have a wide variety of grits.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Supergrit is good. I like Tru-Grit for belts and sandpaper. Do some comparison shopping ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Another vote for supergrit, and the Rhynowet in particular:
http://www.supergrit.com/products/RedlineRedFlexSheets

I've found that the Rhynotwet doesn't seem to last longer, per say, but it does cut well significantly longer, if that makes any sense. With most other brands it seems like cut performance goes down evenly with time, with the rhynowet it cuts the same right up until it doesn't. Its pretty awesome stuff.

As far as finding below 220 grit, I can't say I've ever looked. My stuff all comes off the grinder at at least 220 grit, anything under that I consider stock removal and not polishing. Most of the shaping methods I van think of should leave a good surface to start with 220 on, I.e belt sander/grinder, draw filing and the like
Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Guru

Like Ray I get all my abraisive stuff from www.trugrit.com If we were talking belts I would say yes get the best you can especialy the lower grit ceramic belts for grinding bevels (by the way I use VSM ceramic from tru grit) However with sand paper .....most of the time I get it from 2 places HOME DEPOT and AUTO PART STORES....I have tried ordering many kinds of paper including the rhynowet and there is no finish that the expensive paper will give you that you CANT get with cheep stuff the biggest difference is how long the paper last yeh the expensive stuff lasts twice as long but you can buy twice as much of the cheap stuff so it kinda equals out. I think that as a new maker there is SOOO much stuff that costs a lot of money I would get the cheap stuff and save some money for other stuff. (in my opinion) One thing that goes hand and hand with sand paper (at least for me) is a "ultra fine scotch brit pad (grey)" if you bring the knife up to about 800 grit with sand paper then take a piece of one of these and spray it with wd40 and sand BUT ONLY IN 1 DIRECTION not back and forth....you get a very smooth looking satin finish.......Also home depot also has this sand paper that has a rubbery backing instead of paper its good for doing countous where you lay it over the piece and pull back and forth it wont rip....links to both scotch brite pad and the rubbery paper below

Scotch brite pad----http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-7-8-in-x-6-in-x-1-4-in-9-84-cm-x-15-2-cm-x-0-635-Ultra-Fine-Finishing-Hand-Sanding-Pads-2-Pack-7448/301118025

rubbery sand paper ---- http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-Gr...-UF4/207178745

they have that in a couple different grits
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Beware of "cheap" sandpaper! That means ANY sandpaper you can buy at big box stores, home repair stores, or dept stores. Although it's not advertised, the vast majority of sandpaper sold in these types of stores is the lowest in terms of quality you will find. It's very common to find 400 girt paper, with stray 220 grit particles in it, and such. Auto parts stores are hit-n-miss..... back when NAPA sandpaper was produced in Brazil, it was excellent. These days they changed to paper produced in Mexico, and it's awful.

My personal favorite sandpaper WAS Norton Blade Ice..... until they raised the prices so high that I could no longer justify buying it. I now purchase RynoWet Redline from Supergrit.

Pretty much all the rest of my abrasives come from Tru-Grit. They offer just about any type/grit/brand of belt available, and have the best prices period. Over the years I've had just about every abrasive manufacturer contact me, asking if I'd like to "buy direct and save". The conversation always ends the same way.... I ask them how much XXXXX belt will cost, and it's always higher then what Tru-Grit charges..... when I tell them I buy from Tru-Grit, they tell me that Tru-Grit has better pricing then they could offer me.
Oddly enough, the most expensive place you can buy belts/abrasives is from knifemaking supply outfits. Most of them buy from Tru-Grit, or direct from the manufacturer (remember I said the manufacturers can't beat Tru-Grit's prices?) then apply a markup of 30-40%, and pass that along to you.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks for all the answers, ended up spending more than I wanted on Norton Blade paper from Tru-Grit, but their prices were better for belts/good paper than elsewhere. About an hour after I posting I experienced exactly what Ed mentioned, and had to go back to 220 because of cheap 400........
Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Guru

I've found Norton sandpaper in paint stores, Irwin Williams to be specific. I might suggest if you have some near is to check out paint stores, I have seen the Rhynowet in a local paint store that was an independent store. I seldom buy wet/dry sandpaper under 220 myself, though I buy lower grits for wood like 120 to 180, I tape them onto drum sanders cause they are smoother than a drum of the same grit and I don't know why that is.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Guru

I always got the 3m pro grade from home depot (its red) and I use it all the time never had a problem with it...

Tags
advice, auto, awesome, back, beginner, belt, belt sander, belts, blade, buy, finish, grinder, grinding, hand, home, knife, make, products, sand, sander, satin finish, spray, stock removal, surface, wood