MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Is Wilton grinder to fast

Is the wilton grinder to fast to hollow grind with .i have the hollow grind attachment but am trying to learn freehand ,but when i try freehand even a quick pass with 200grit belt burns up the steel
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Skilled

You might try using a coarser belt, though Wiltons still move awfully fast with their stock drive wheel from what I understand. You'd probably be wise to order a smaller drive wheel for your grinder.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Ya. sounds too fast. The coarser belt, about 60 grit, would probably be fine but as you move to finer belts it will be necessary to reduce speed. That's why variable speed grinders are so popular....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
I attached a small motor by belt to a pulley i mounted on the drive wheel....Slows it down by 80 %...Works great as you go to finer belts.............Total project took an hour...I used an old washing machine motor.....You might want to try it rather than spend the money for a variable outfit....Been using it for years with no problems..........carl

Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM

When I bought my first grinder I felt the square wheel was the most versatile for the price,just under $900.00 at the time, it's the only one I use. Would I like another grinder?, OH
YEA. It can be limited in several areas and one of them is doing any fine work above about 220 for two main reasons, one is it is too fast and the other is the stock wheels are much too hard for finer grits. you can purchase a step down pulley and softer wheels but at an expense of course, or you can learn to make do with what you have and compensate.
What I do when grinding the main bevels is using a fresh as in new, good quality 60 belt and do most of the grind then go up in grits again using fresh,new belts (don't worry you will always have other operations for these slightly used belts and they wont go to waste)
sometimes you can get several blades out of these belts if you are careful. Each time as you go up in the grits you need to use less and less pressure or you will overheat and develop a harmonic vibration that is nerve wracking and will damage the blade especially at the tips.
It sounds like a lot of compensating to make do with what you have but it can be done with patience and time. If you have the resources, oh my goodness, get a variable speed grinder with extra duro wheels and your grinding will be a joy, I have used other makers grinders and didn't realize how much I have had to put up with, but at the same time the Wilton gets the job done and have never regretted the purchase. Maybe when I grow up I too will have a variable speed grinder with an assortment of wheels!! (Sorry it was so wordy, R.J.)
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice . i will be trying a lot of yalls suguestings .I have made myself just get out their and keep grinding freehand and its starting to pay off ,the first few blade i burnt up of course ,very badly .but then something started to happen ,i got the feel off it and it started working ,i got 3 out of 5 blades that look good grinds r even and smooth ..i think i kinda found the sweet spot .ill post pics off the 2 i finished last night
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Skilled

Learn to dip each time you make a pass on the grinder. Wilton Square Wheel have made a lot of knives
Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

thanks dave ,i do dip each pass ,i found that a 120 gritt belt gives me enough control and doesnt heat up the blade as bad ,with a fresh belt works pretty good
Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Hall of Famer

"Is Wilton grinder to fast"

No.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Registered

put a slow down wheel on my square wheel now the belts are to big.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Guru

If I convert my 2x48 to a 2x72 I will use pulleys so the slower I go the more torque I'll have. Only has a 3/4 HP now, but I can't stop it at 4500 sfpm now so I'm not going to worry about slower speeds. A variable loses power as you slow down and hence the need for a bigger motor, a geared pulley system doesn't.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
"Too Fast" certainly is a personal opinion, and in mine, the Square Wheel is. Out of the box it runs a 4600 SFPM (surface feet per minute). The link below is an article I wrote on how to "trick out" the Wilton to make it a more friendly/usable knife grinder.

http://www.caffreyknives.net/square_wheel_art.html

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 07-03-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Guru

I have a kmg with a 3 pully system.....would I like a variable speed ....yep but don't need it the 3 pullys are more than enough I don't even move them that much but a pully option is much cheaper than variable speed...eventually I might upgrade it but for now I cant justify the cost
Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Guru

Nice article Mr. Caffrey and quite sharp mods you made there. Right now all my 2x48 is good for is flat and convex which I have found for woodcrafting is better than a hollow grind. A Bark River Knives video showed me that. Never really was a woodcrafter in the past, just a hunter/backpacker who used what was available.lol

Also the coated abrasives slow down heat buildup as well I might add, be sure and let guys know don't get cheap on the belts. A fast grinder can be used with most materials and the right belts and belt lube. Don't forget the belt cleaner either especially for wood and stabilized products, that polymer plastic stuff wants to burn and clog belts. I use my 1x42 at 1800 SFPM and 8" disc at 1200 RPM to finish handles and final grinds before I go to hand finish. The belt cleaner really does extend the life of the belts if used early and often. LeHigh Valley Abrasives carry a great belt lube stick that doesn't get gummy called Formax F 26.
http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...rmax-f-26-f-26

Also for the finer grits 400+ I use Tap Magic on a rag to lightly coat the belt for metal only, for micron belts it's a necessity and it keeps them clean and thus last longer. I do have an advantage as I can run water/coolant on my 1x42 with the proper water resistant belts, but it makes a mess, so I'm careful with it. Walter Sorrells has a video about using coolant on his Bader, would that be possible with the Wilton or is the electrical too close? If you can use coolant heat isn't a problem as well as dust, but mud may be. Get a big bucket.

Tags
2x72, belts, blade, flat, forge, grinder, heat, hollow grind, how to, hunter, kmg, knife, knives, made, make, materials, motor, plastic, post, problem, products, sharp, surface, video