MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Guru

2 cutting questions

Hey guys so today I put a brand new blade on my band saw....it seemed to be dull right from the sart....checked the label and compared it to the other blades I have gone through and it looks exactly the same.....ANY IDEAS....ok so I cant win today I then went to my angle grinder the last disk a chunk broke off ( cutting up a sofa bed that got ruined in the flood I had a week ago) So went to put a new disk on and that circular nut that goes on to hold the disk on (it has 2 different size holes for allen keeys to open it up) This nut wont budge I have tried everthing I can think of this thing is just stuck....ANy ideas???.....See told ya cant win today LOL
Old 05-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Did you break in the saw blade before you tried to put it to heavy use? Your MSC Big Book has that information as well as information on many other common problems.

Some Liquid Wrench might help with that stuck nut. I'd try clamping the remainder of the broken disk in a vise and then try your wrench...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Guru

Yeh I did the norml break in....And yeh I got the book but now on the main page of the site they have a VIRTUAl big book everything in the book is there I find that easier.

Yeh tried liquid wrench, tried putting it in a vise. I am wondering if heating it up a lil NOT blazing hot just a quick min with a torch maybe that will loosen it ?.....I have to go to the hardware store no more torch bottles of propane and I think my forge burner would be a lil over kill LOL
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Heating it up could work but only if you can heat the nut more than the shaft. If they both expand at the same rate you probably won't gain anything.

I don't see how the Liquid Wrench and vise could fail to work. Makes me wonder what's going on with that thing.

If all else fails try breaking the remainder of the cutting wheel off of the shaft. If you can get it completely removed from behind the nut then there shouldn't be anything left for the nut to bind on ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
angle, band saw, blade, blades, book, brand, burner, common, cutting, forge, grinder, hardware, hot, knife, ore, saw blade, sofa, store, vise, wrench