MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Steel Addict

Randall Knives

Please dont beat me up for asking this. Thanks in advance.

What is the deal with Randall Knives that make them so special? I have gotten a catalouge and the prices are not that bad, however, the 5 year waiting list makes me scratch my head. I have seen better looking, to my eye, from a lot of guys on here. I know they are made by hand but to me it is still a factory knife. The Randall style knife does not fit my eye which is personal preference. I read where they have survived combat. Again some of the guys on here have knives that have been in combat and survived. I even have one of my knives that is carried daily in Alaska on a Coast Guardsman's belt. (I am not saying I make better knives than Randall, I know I am far from that good, and since it was one of my first knives and a give away I am really happy that it is surviving). Anyway, I am just wondering if I am missing something here with the Randall knife company.

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, personal preference certainly plays a part but much of their appeal is probably history. They make great knives and they have been doing it forever. They are factory knives, sort of, but Randall was always willing to customize whatever a service man needed. Many of their knives are combat models while most of manufacturers aim more for the sporting market so, I guess, that alone makes Randall near and dear to the hearts of many. They have original designs with unique grinds and they make very strong knives - I'm sure that helps too. Randalls are uniquely American and a family business - that alone would get my support.

There are probably many answers but I think their support of our servicemen plus the longevity and their great designs have brought them into the realm of legends among knives. Nothing wrong with that. True, there are probably even better knives but they aren't Randalls. There is only one Harley-Davidson, only one Martin Guitar, only one Coca-Cola, one Filson Outdoor Clothing, one Whites Boots.....and one Randall Knife. When everybody else compares themselves to you that makes you special ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ray. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Skilled

Randalls are part of American history. They've been to space and to the Smithsonian. They're STILL, to the best of my knowledge, the only large production handmade (i.e. hand forged, hand ground, hand assembled knives in the nation.) No CNC milling machines, no computer generated forms, just real, hands on work. No two blades are exactly the same, none mass produced. And all of it Made In America.

I am VERY proud of the short time I spent working for Randall Made Knives, and I learned a lot in a very short time. Certainly enough to fuel this obsession of mine for several lifetimes.

They're considered top of the line blades for a reason, and worth every darn penny. If you're ever in Orlando, it's well worth the visit.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Steel Addict

I will check out thier shop when I head down to Disney. I think I had much rather see a knife shop than a mouse! Dont tell my daughters that though.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Steel Addict

I did look up a lot of information about Randall knives before I posted this, I even have a catalogue. (I don?t use or trust Wikipedia, if you trust it for factual information be very careful of a user edited website.) I was wanting others opinions about Randall and I thought asking a question of other knife makers is the best way to do that. I did go to Randall?s website and I read what their "opinion" of their selves was but that is a biased opinion. I read reviews on line about them but I know nothing about those owners or their knowledge of knife construction. I asked on here because I value what everyone on this site has to say. Information about knives is one of the reasons this place is here and why I joined.

Last edited by miketheknife; 02-21-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Steel Addict

To me when you really get down to it, it boils down to one main thing. People are buying a RANDALL knife. Along the same lines that Ray mentioned, it's name recognition and brand loyalty. I think anyone can relate but even more so in the U.S. we are very name brand loyal. That American pride, made in America, people go crazy for that.

Things that roll through my mind, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Coca-Cola, John Deere... anyone in marketing and most others can tell you that name brand loyalty can sell the pants off of something... and often far beyond what it's worth. That's definitely not to say Randall knives aren't worth what they sell for. But a name goes a long way, especially in an area where there are many people doing essentially the same thing. I've seen many knives sold for prices that blow my mind and that are inferior to other guys knives... but if they were made by a known maker... they don't stand a chance.

That's one reason why alot of the old-timers (and I say that reverently) beat the dead horse of testing, testing, testing your knives. What's the point of having a beautiful piece of metal and wood that looks like a knife but won't cut melted butter...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyRayTurner View Post
You Know Before I Ask Someone a Question I am Aware it is I that I am Really Asking the Question To Due to the Fact that I am Uncertain about a Subject or a Person Place or Thing ~ I never have any Problem Searching for the Answers Myself and I Find that in Todays Modern World we Have a Wealth of Information at our Finger Tips. I always try to Find the Facts about a Subject or at lease Some of the Facts about whichever Subject I am Interested In. I use dictionary's library's and the World Wide Web You can always Find the Answer if You Apply Yourself and Look For It. I use Wiki...Google Search quite often and Have rarely ever been let Down.....Here is Just a Little Information on the History of the American Made Randall Knives. Thought I Would Share....~!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Made_Knives
Wow...I think Mike explained himself well enough and in good manner. I believe that forums such as this are used to spark conversation and share ideas. I don't believe a lesson in research is warranted. A point of view may be taken more seriously if opinions are stated using grammar that can be more easily followed. Just my opinion.

Brett
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Registered

Randall Shop

Thru the 1980's I used to drive to see my folks in Florida every year, and would stop at the Randall shop - usually both on the drive down and return trip. That was when they kept 'bench stock' on hand, and a person could buy from a selection of, say, two dozen or so knives right there and then, no waiting. I even saw Bo Randall walk thru the shop one day - didn't know who he was, he was very old then, but the man behind the counter told me (in a hushed voice) who he was. Now I understand they only have 'bench stock' available two times a year, and that gets snapped up in like, an hour or so either in person or over the phone. For resale at profit, in no small part, I'm sure. Times keep changing, and old Florida is rapidly disappearing. It's on Orange Blossom Trail, and a very neat place to visit. I used to have a dozen Randalls - then I got married and my wife didn't think anyone needed "that many knives" - so I sold them. Now, I make knives. Go figure.

Last edited by mlminto; 02-27-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Steel Addict

I am leaving for Daytona Saturday and may make a trip to Orlando just to "see with my own eyes" the shop. If I dont make it then I know I will when Im in Orlando in June.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyRayTurner View Post
You Know Before I Ask Someone a Question I am Aware it is I that I am Really Asking the Question To Due to the Fact that I am Uncertain about a Subject or a Person Place or Thing ~ I never have any Problem Searching for the Answers Myself and I Find that in Todays Modern World we Have a Wealth of Information at our Finger Tips. I always try to Find the Facts about a Subject or at lease Some of the Facts about whichever Subject I am Interested In. I use dictionary's library's and the World Wide Web You can always Find the Answer if You Apply Yourself and Look For It. I use Wiki...Google Search quite often and Have rarely ever been let Down.....Here is Just a Little Information on the History of the American Made Randall Knives. Thought I Would Share....~!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Made_Knives

If by "helping people" you mean to talk to them as if they are idiots then you did just that....
which kind of bugs me.

I find your over use of the ShIfT button and ~~~squiggle~~~line annoying as hell....
here try this...http://www.how-to-type.com/
Or TrY GoOGle It's You FRiend...

Ok.....Im DOnE...

~~~~NaTe~~~~
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM

If everyone has sufficiently vented their spleen I hope we can get back to the subject of knives and civil conversation about them. 'Nuff said ...

Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Skilled

I'm not looking for any attention Jeremy nor anything else..I could care less.. But you know you were belittling him with your comments. And I find it a shame you feel the need to do so.

Nate
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM

I am not accustomed to having to repeat myself but maybe I wasn't clear before - one more word from anybody on this subject and I will ban someone for a while.

There are valid points on both sides so try to understand the other guy's point of view and modify your behavior just a little bit - but do it without further comment .....

Tags
apply, back, bee, blades, brand, cnc, forged, hand, handmade, helping, how to, john, knife, knives, made, make, man, metal, outdoor, problem, randall, scratch, tips, wood