MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 PM

a grinder purchase

Well fellow makers, i have a couple more newbie questions.
I have read all past posts on various grinders through out the forums, but need more help before i make a purchase and possibly make a wrong decision. i only have about 400 to spend on a grinder, and the grizzly with the buffer and 2x72 belt seems to be in my range. My question is since i don't have a grinder or buffer, should i purchase this grinder? I only have a small craftsman 1x42 belt sander at the moment, and would this grinder benefit me very much versus the belt sander i have now?

Second what thickness of stainless is best to purchase for making bolsters for a 8 inch drop point hunting knife? if i have anymore questions i post it later.

thanks
jasond
Old 08-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Last edited by Mike Hull; 08-07-2002 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:38 PM

Lightbulb

Jason- Some ideas...

It might seem odd for me to respond as I'm just now buying my first grinder as well. I've been researching the heck out of this decision, which all newbies go through...so I thought I'd share some observations.

The Grizzly is an easy choice in that price range. The general consensus is that it will get the job done, albeit with minor problems...the most significant being that the motor can get in the way of some of your grinding. Everyone also agrees that you should always buy the best equipment possible...reach past your budget a little if you have to...I figure a couple of sold knives will pay the difference.

Coote makes a good grinder for the price, you'll have to get your own motor...by the time your done: around $600 or so Total. Another possibility that I haven't seen mentioned is the Kalamazoo 2" x 72". You can buy it with or without a motor...with the motor will run you just under $600.

I pretty much agonized over this decision myself, as money is tight for me at the moment. But I knew that after only a few months I'd be pissed that I didn't bite the bullet and buy the KMG...

I placed the order today with Rob Frink for the KMG1-8" package. I bought a 1HP Leeson from my friends at Woodcraft for $199...single phase, AC, fully enclosed, speed 1725. Just need to order Maska Pulleys from Piela Electric, get a belt and I'll be ready to set it up. Should be ready to start grinding in about 2 weeks.

I would think that right about now the ready-to-go Grizzly may sound better to you than ever-no fuss, no muss

So I know I've helped make everything crystal clear right?

Good luck!

Dennis

Yeah Baby
Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There's no doubt the Coote is a more nicely made piece of machinery. However, it is still a 2 wheel design like the Grizzly and so has some of the same limitations.

My first grinder was the Grizzly and I made a lot of knives on it. I still use it for most of my flat grinding because it's just so darned unstoppable. The Grizzly comes with a 1 HP 1725 rpm motor - the 'slow' motor - and that's a very good thing on a direct drive grinder. The Coote, of course, can be set up with pulleys and that's an even better way to adjust the speed if you have the resources to do it. Sometimes we forget that acquiring a motor and assembling pillow blocks and pulleys doesn't come as second nature to everyone. If you don't already have the parts or know a cheap way to get them then the Grizzly will likely turn out to be a lot less expensive than the Coote.

Just my .02 .....
Old 08-06-2002, 09:13 PM

i thank both of you for your input on my situation. i really don't know much about pulleys and items other grinders may require. Possibly the grizzly may be my best starter grinder. i will also look for good quality used grinders on the internet. also another question is since the motor has been know to get in the way on the grizzly should this effect me since i only plan on making 8 inch or less knives. i will ponder my decision a bit longer before purchasing the grinder. if any more ideas or suggestions come up please let me know and when i purchase one i will definetly let you know.

jasond
Old 08-07-2002, 05:41 AM

Jason the number one thing it takes to make a knife is the desire to make one. "The want to factor". Seems you have that! If you are limited to what you can spend and want to start now, don't let anymore grass grow under your feet Get the Griz and don't look back, for the money you won't do any better. You can go from profile to finished blade, it is stout! and like Ray said, unstoppable. Will it be any better than what you have now? Like day and night. From the box to grinding in about a half hour. I just put another one together last week and noticed they have beefed up the arm some, no wobble anywhere. No tracking problems to adjust out on this one. Maybe they are selling so many of them now they finally listened and started to printing the instructions in good clear english with better pics for assembly too. If your grinding small blades you shouldn't have a problem. It will even grind a big ole bowie after you get used to it. But then I'm left handed, grind right handed off the right side of the machine with edge up- edge down. Get what you can afford and start grindin away.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:14 AM

After spending just a little time on my KMG1, I'll chime in and say that at this stage of my skill level, it wouldn't much matter what I started with. The benefits of the better machines will prove themselves out much later.

After you get good at the skill, then you can move on--but I think the Grizzly will suit you fine. Geez, anything's better than that Craftsman (although there are a hundred guys out there that can take a knife from start to finish with that, and I can't!! ).

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Steel Addict

Cool Grinder

I've ground about 20 knives on my Delta 4x36. I'd still be grinding on it but it crapped out on me last week . Epoxied a 1/4" high temp glass platen on it. Worked great except for tight curves in the profile. You don't need the high dollar stuff to turn out a great product, just elbow grease and desire to carry through on those days it's 100 in your shop and the fan just died (don't ask how I know).

Like Mr Hearn said, Knifemaking's not so much about the equipment as it is about the desire and the journey.

Good luck,
Will
Old 08-07-2002, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

I would suggest that if you get the griz - go ahead and order the 10 inch wheel. This will eliminate the motor getting in the way and its only about $50 more, but will make a BIG difference
Old 08-07-2002, 02:45 PM

thanks guys, i take each comment seriously and always welcome yor input. possibly this grizzly will work for me after all. I will order the grizzly, and when the shop i am working in finally gets remodeled i will post a picture for you all to see! A newbie could not ask for a better group of guys to rely on for help!

jasond
Old 08-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Hall of Famer

fyi -
you cannot order the 10" wheel instead of the 8". the grinder package is only available as is. if you want a 10" wheel, it must be purchased in addition to the basic 8" package.

Old 08-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

He's right about the wheel, but I still think its worth the extra $50. Otherwise you will just be frustrated by the motor being in the way and never develop a consistant method for grinding. I love my set up - I do hope to upgrade to a better grinder one day. When I do - this one can become a dedicated buffer - money is not wasted and like they said in an earlier post - out of the box and grinding in 30 minutes - that's where the fun is!!
Old 08-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Guru

I started with a 1x30", hand files and an angle grinder. I got a Grizzly a couple years later as a graduation present. I've been using it for the last 9 yrs. It's a strong running motor. Grizzly's quality control leaves a lot to be desired, but nothing that can't be fixed. The shaft on mine had to be turned down to fit in the socket. I never could get mine perfectly true with regards to the tracking either. As others have pointed out, the motor gets in the way for doing hollow grinding. There's plenty of space for flat grinding, though. My wheel developed a blister in it due to a void just below the contact surface. This took a several months to show up. It doesn't seem to affect performance.

I've started building my own grinder now that I know what I like/dislike. The grizzly's not bad for the price, but I think I would have been happier having spent a bit more for a better machine.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:44 PM

hey thanks don, i appreciate your comment. i still have not decided on a grinder yet. i see you are in bryan/college station, so am i. i started profiling my very first blade today, and i am not through. i still have to do more grinding. possibly one day i could meet up with you and you could help me with a few problems! the grinder i have now is a crafteman 1x42 grinder/sander with an eight inch disc. it has a 5/8 horse motor on it, a bit slow but it will work for now until i can save up for a new and better one. it is very expensive going to college fulltime and being married, but maybe when i get a better grinder i will appretiate it more . hey Terry Hearne said he put a grizzly together this past weekend and they made a few changes, for the better. he said the arm is very sturdy now from what it use to be. maybe it will be a better quality grinder compared from what it was when you purchased yours?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

my grinder buying experience

Just my $0.02..

I just recently had the same grinder debate with myself. I originally intended to pick up a small 2x42 (or similar) grinder and try my hand at making a few knives. My interests seem to oscillate between various hobbies and was not sure how commited I was going to be so I did not want to go for a high end machine. After browsing the forums I decided to hold off getting a smaller grinder and make a few knives with hand tools (I then spent the money and got a Dillon 550B ) After making a couple of knives (and shooting quite a few rounds ) I started still wasn't disuaded and began looking at grinder options again.

Many people recomended getting a high end machine..however.. my needs don't really call for it. I only intend on making a few knives every now and again...So.. I debated the Coote and the Grizzly. I wanted the Coote but since I did not want the hassle of getting a motor I ordered the Grizz (it was on back-order) After living with the choice for a couple of weeks I ended up cancelling the order and ordered a Coote with 10" contact wheel. The original decision to purchase the grizz was not comfortable to me because I believe I was sacrificing quality for simplicity. I would also prefer to buy products made in the US (...if I can't get Canadian Made ) I just picked up the machine over in Maine (I am only 30 mins to the CAN_US Border...and ..ummm...boy did the US customs officer ever get in a tither...she did not like the old mauser stock and the couple of .45 rounds that were in the trunk :confused: ).

The quality and construction of the machine is very high. I have yet to get the motor hooked up and try it but am quite impressed with its robustness. It seems to be a very nice machine (especially at $400).

Another machine that you may want to consider is the log cabin forge machine...it looks very nice ($400 w/o motor) but I did not see it on time..

Tags
blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives