MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM

spacing material

I have a few questions regarding spacing material.
I plan on using 2 layers of fiber spacing material between the handle (wood) and the tang.
What is the best way to cut the spacing material ?.
and the best glue to use, to glue them together?, to the wood ?, and then to the tang ?.
thanks guide
Old 07-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You can easily get more than one answer to that question, here's mine:

Cut the material oversized, then use the scales as a pattern to drill the holes in the liner material. Mark the material so that you know what piece goes where and how it was oriented.

Next, run whatever type of fasteners you plan to use through the scales and the liner material so that everything lines up and is firmly held in place (both sides, the whole handle without the knife). Grind, shape, and finish the front end of the scales and liner material. This is the area that you cannot access once the scales are mounted to the tang so finish it now.

Mount the scales on the handle and glue up the scales and the liner material all at the same time. Use the fasteners (Loveless bolts, Corbys, pins, whatever) to hold everything together. Wipe off the excess glue, especially at the front of the handle area where you have already finished the scales. That area has to stay clean, everything else can be cleaned up later.

There are many good epoxies but I think the majority of us have settled on AcraGlas (regular, not the Gel). Sunlight won't weaken it, water won't soften it, it doesn't get brittle, and its thin enough to pour for handles that require that (stick tangs) and has a longer pot life than most. However, to get the best results from it you need to read and follow the instructions that come with it.

After the glue sets, shape the handle and grind off any excess glue that might have oozed out...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM

Ray, thanks for the reply, best way to cut the fiber material ? fine blade in my band saw? util knife with break away blade? also should I glue the two pieces of material together first, then to the scales ? and then all to the tang?. this is my first attempt at adding fiber material with the scales
thanks guide
Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I just use a good pair of scissors to cut the material. As I said, cut it over sized. This allows some wiggle room when you're drilling the holes.

Read through my last reply again, all the steps are covered (I think). Glue up the entire handle and liners at the same time . It can be a little messy but as long as you keep the front end of the scales clean everything else can be cleaned up after the glue sets...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
band saw, blade, drill, glue, grind, handle, handles, knife, material, pattern, pins, scales, tang, wood