MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Steel Addict

New Guy Here

New to the forum, kinda new to knife making. Made my first knife (atleast that was about the only thing I could call it as it faintly resembled one) about 5 years ago but do to life circumstances took about a 3 year break. Finally getting back into full swing and upping my game so to speak.

Got my shop set up and am starting to acquire better tools and such things. Made my first few with a file and a hand drill. Followed by very rough knives made out of files. The first was some chunk of random metal I found around my garage. I had no clue what I was doing or even the fact there were others out there that did this, it was just a whim of an idea one day.

I am continually inspired and impressed by others I see and get more excited as I dive deeper into this world.

I'll attempt to post some pictures and such things to share what I've done, I know there's restrictions and such just starting out.

Thanks for having me! I've browsed around on the forums and am excited to meet and get to know some fellow knife addicts!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Steel Addict

http://wynnknives.com/gallery.html
Here's a link to my website, check em out if you like, any questions, comments, tips, hints, or anything else is welcome, thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Howdy form another new guy. LOL
Looking forward to seeing some of you work.
Stephen
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Steel Addict

likewise, x2
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Steel Addict

3 Most recent knives I've done, the orange one was a custom order and the other two are the first ones I think I've made in the last few months that haven't been ordered, just for fun.
Not the best pictures, not a photographer. My wife is hoping to begin a photography career soon, I'm sure I will begin to sub-contract my picture taking
Brass Hunter 3.jpg
ATS-34 Flat ground, Brass and Thuya Burl Handle, OA 9" Blade 4"
Blast Folder.jpg
ATS-34 Flat Ground, Textured Titanium and Sand blasted bolster with carbon fiber lightning strike scales, OA 7", Blade 2 3/4", and an attempt at fileworked spacer

C3.jpg
440C Tanto style blade, micarta scale and Stainless Bolster
Forgot to record dimensions but ended up somewhere are 11 1/2" if i remember correctly

Last edited by WynnKnives; 04-23-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Not too shabby. Welcome aboard.

Doug

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Nice work
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys.... any critiquing is desired.... I'm usually the hardest on myself, but its always good to get others view points and opinions.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Master

Right on man! Glad you got back into it Really like your work. I wouldnt mint trying my hand at folders some day they look great! The only thing I would do different on those knives is finish with a finer sand paper for the satin finish other then that I see nothing wrong with any of them
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, folders are a whole other bear in themselves. My first probably 10 were not even worth keeping together lol. Knifemaking if nothing else has taught me a bit about myself, I tend to try to move on to bigger and better things when I'm getting close to getting good at simple things. Notice I said close to good lol. I noticed if i just slow down and do what I know and get good at that, it makes those next steps easier. But with knives it's an extreme challenge for me because I want to do everything all at once. Trying my hand at engraving has retaught me this as well. That's something that is not for the light hearted, and I have great respect for those who are good at it.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

New guy

I'm new to knife making and Im pretty much a internet search and repeat designer
and hopefully that doesnt make everyone cringe but I have a question.
I have been trying to find information on how to make a stacked leather "washer/ring" handle but do not know how to or what tool to cut them out with
I tryed a hole saw it made a mess of things any ideas cant post knife can't figure out how if I do maybe that will help some
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinrii View Post
I'm new to knife making and Im pretty much a internet search and repeat designer
and hopefully that doesnt make everyone cringe but I have a question.
I have been trying to find information on how to make a stacked leather "washer/ring" handle but do not know how to or what tool to cut them out with
I tryed a hole saw it made a mess of things any ideas cant post knife can't figure out how if I do maybe that will help some
Hey man you could always use a band saw to cut the leather, as long as the leather is thick enough. Here is a link that might help you out alot. I have read all of his tutorials probably 20 times lol

http://www.northcoastknives.com/nort...nts_tips12.htm

Last edited by metal99; 04-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered

opps

nvm I finaly found the information I was looking for just didn't look hard enough sorry to bother you all
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

thanks metal that will help alot more than what I found
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Or, you could simply buy them, they're very cheap and most knife supply houses sell them. Another option is simply a large pair of shears or tin snips to cut the basic shape and a standard leather slot punch to make the center hole. Doesn't matter if the outside is uneven and rough since you have to sand it smooth no matter how you make them (or buy them) ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
abs, blade, brass, custom, engraving, files, handle, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, kydex, leather, plastic, post, satin finish, steel, supply, tang, tanto, tips