MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Finding Benchmade 43's

As another post alluded to, how difficult is it to find new Benchmade 43's these days? Maybe it's my googling or just the sheer number of sites, but everywhere I look only has 42's (even EDC). When did Benchmade stop producing 42-47 knives? I'm wondering how many years before 42's become scarce
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Skilled

I'm not quite sure I'm answering your question [Slightly].., but the 42.., and model 32.., are still being made by Benchmade. ~~> Also the Bradley "Mayhem".., which Benchmade also manufactures.

The 43.., 46.., 47.., 49's.., and the 31..., all stopped production some time ago....(roughly 30 months for the last models assembled, and I don't expect to see any of those back in standard production.

My guess is.., that you'll always see BM making the 42 unless sales completely go South. The "Weehawk" profile.., named..., and first done in a custom fixed blade boot knife by Jody Samson in 1977-1978 (prior to the existence of Bali-Song, Inc, PCC, or Benchmade Knife Company)..., is pretty much the standard by which all production Balisongs are judged, so I'm guessing Les & Roberta will keep that one alive as long as it doesn't kill them financially.

The market is also deceiving for Balisongs. Songers are a very vocal and active group.., so it appears more are into it than really are (especially those that buy a lot), compared to some other groups of collectors. Benchmade doesn't make "squat" on Balisongs relative to the rest of their line of products.., and that's why we saw those other profiles come and go so rapidly.

I'm happy they kept the 42 in production.., but frankly I thought they might discontinue that also.

From time to time.., I suspect you'll see some "Special" stuff from BM.., much like the 46DM they recently did just a few of. Both Les and Roberta really respect their roots in the Cutlery Industry as a whole, and they do make an effort to do stuff for us old timers now and then...

As far as finding a 43 out there.., I really don't think you'll have too much trouble.., although you may have to pay a fairly high price for one. There are also variations. T-Latch 43's.., spring latch 43's.., and the 43DM...., which is an awesome knife! Some variations in handle finishing also (i.e., anodizing, powder coating, etc.)..., so they are out there.....you'll find one..

Good luck, and thanks for stopping by!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 05-15-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Registered

Finding Benchmade 43's

I wasn't aware 42's were regular production while 43,45,47 etc. were limited. Do you know of other sites which you can display messages indicating an interest if someone is selling?

(I hope I'm not accidentally creating a new thread with this reply)
Old 05-16-2006, 05:52 PM

go to balisongforums.com , bladeforums.com , knifeforums.com , and post in the wanted to buy section.
not all the 43's 45's etc are limited production they just stopped making them.

Examonlyf you don't think they'll ever start production of any of the 4x series again?

(There are also variations. T-Latch 43's.., spring latch 43's.., and the 43DM...., which is an awesome knife!)

Also don't forget the 43-401! That is one nice bali. I wish I could get one of those but it's a little to expensive for me
Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Skilled

Actually no.., my guess would be the 4X-Series as we saw it early, won't ever be produced again by Benchmade.

They make much more profit doing limited runs in small numbers....

And NO .., I didn't forget the 43-401.., and yeah it's a great production knife. I have several of them.., but I have to say I really hated the way they pulled it off ~~> using old 45 handles..., charging dealers a BUNCH to get them.......etc.

I didn't feel that was warranted given old parts..., and handles already set up for a latch.....then making it latchless. That is not the historical marekting strategy BM (and the other associated companies) Les has used in the past..., and it dissappointed me in honesty.

As many will tell you.., I certainly love latchless Balisongs..., but using pre-made handles designed to have a latch is a BAIL-OUT to make money! No one honest would contest that statement that I know.

"CLEAN".., is 85% of a latchless design..., and they actually surprised me using those pre-milled old handles on those.

The blade on the 43-401.., is one of the best machine ground blades I've ever seen..., so I won't bit** too much.., but my expectation for the company is higher I guess.

Not much more to say on that....

Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 PM

D*mn, I didn't know all that, thanks for enlightening me. That sounds really strange of benchmade to do, I'm surprised it didn't turn more people away from them. All the pictures that ive seen of the 43-401's haven't had any place for the latch in the handle but i take your word for it. I still like it though, it has such a nice blade, and I like latchless balis better, even though I don't own a latchless yet. But I get annoyed of latches and i think theres a cleaner look to a bali that is latchless
Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Skilled

Well.., it's a business .., and they found about 118 sets of old BM 45/48 handles that were milled.., slotted for a T-Latch.., but not drilled.

Heck everyone loves the knife..., so my opinion is simply based on the using such a neat blade.., in old handles. Having slots back there to accommodate a latch certainly didn't hurt the function, and the piece does come with that leather Bikini Sheath. I just felt it was a bit pricey given the process....., and they are REALLY expensive now in found on the secondary market.

I would have loved to see that 43-401 blade go into some nice freshly designed handles.., especially since only 100 pieces were done....

Would have been a more classy approach...

Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Steel Addict

I agree, the blades are beautiful and were deserving of much better handles. On the other hand, even with the old parts they were a little more expensive than the average production and new handles may have put them out of reach for someone like me with a small wallet. I knew I should have bought more than one, but I just couldn't afford it at the time. At least I was lucky enough to get one.

I am excited to see the direction that BM has taken with the 32. Instead of sticking to the old skeleton pattern, they really turned out a great knife.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives