MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Skilled

25 Style Handle

...The Model 25 handle is available on the Models 25 and 26 and 27 and the 12-9. In standard configuration this handle is made up with leather and metal and black fiber spacers at either end of a stag center section. Standard configuration is with NS hilt and duraluminum butt cap. You can also get it with a NS butt cap or with brass hilt and butt cap. You can also order this handle with the stag polished. This is the only RMK handle that is being made with the stag polished. You can also get the 25 handle with any of the catalog handle materials substituted for the stag. Because these materials have a catalog cost equal to or lower than the stag price any of these handle center section substitutions is a "no cost" option. You can also supply your own block of wood or acceptable natural material or micarta and have the handle made up with that rather than the stag. Here are some photos of some of my Randalls with the 25 handles.

This first one is three different 25 style handles with standard stag insert. Two with NS hilts and duraluminum butts and one with the brass hilt and butt. The metal spacers are matched to the color of the hilts and butts.

This next PIC shows a 27 and a 26 with 25 handles with stag. There is a great deal of variation in the stag available on RMK handles. I have never seen any stag on a 25 style handle that did not look good to me.

This next PIC shows what the handle looks like with the stag polished.

This one is with maroon micarta insert. This one has optional NS butt cap. All of them that I have seen with NS butt cap have had the butt cap made longer than the brass or duraluminum butts.

This one is customer supplied yellow micarta. This knife was ordered just a little before RMK announced that antique micarta was available as a handle material. I will be ordering one with the antique micarta but it should look very much like this material. Again this one has a larger NS butt cap.

This one has a customer supplied buffalo horn insert. This one also has the larger NS butt cap and this one has been ordered with the butt rounded.

These last two are made up with AG Russell's golden maple burl inserts. This handle material is nice looking and seems very durable. You can order one from AG with delivery coming in just a few months.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I got EXTREMELY lucky with the AG Russell version this past Monday. I called and asked if they had a 25-5 (with golden maple burl) in stock. They stated that it was THE only Randall currently in stock. I said "Gimme!" But when they gave the price at $575, I went "Whoa!, your website lists it at $495. What gives, does it have a SS blade and some other extras?" Nope, the price went up and the web page was supposed to be updated. She said that if I pressed her, that she would have to sell it to me at the price listed on the website. I told her to consider herself "oppressed, compressed, impressed and depressed and gives me the knife."

It arrived today and she's a beauty. But I just can't believe that they were raising the price in one $80 swoop. But sure enough, an hour after my phone call, the knife was listed at $575. Sure glad that I had a hankering for a knife when I did.

I have to say, the 25-5 is about my favorite Randall. It was my first, my main user and just an all around great knife!

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM

??

3 months later.........$675!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Steel Addict

I am so glad that I already got a model 25-5 in both stag and maple burl a little bit ago, from AG Russell, before the price went up. These are a couple of my faves! Then, AG Russell knocked another 25% off for being in L.E. or the Armed Forces. I think that they still have this policy.
I agree with Jeff, I have not seen a stag that I haven't liked...so far!

Kent
RKS #109
Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Skilled

Great pictures and beautiful knives Jeff! The #25 handle is special and you have it in great combinations. I really don't see how the shop can finish these handles so well with dissimilar materials stacked like that with different hardness's and degrees of toughness. A big dummy like me, would probably have the softer materials a smaller diameter in the stack.

Thanks!

seuss
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Steel Addict

Love the #25 handle. These pictures are all the models that a #25 handle are offered on (except the mini #25) in ivory and nickel silver. Engraving by Ron Skaggs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img0831.jpg (70.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Img0832.jpg (73.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Img0833.jpg (70.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Img0834.jpg (77.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by tunefinK; 01-06-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Steel Addict

Sorry to tell you this Tune, but you're one short!

The 12-9 Sportsman Bowie (w/ the clip point), is also available with the model 25 handle!

Back to the drawing board to complete the set!!!

--------DW--------
Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM

'Tis still a beautiful set, Tuner!

But, ARRGH!, the collector's nightmare, having the waters muddied by someone pointing out that your set is missing, such and such...

Well take, heart, it's still a UNIQUE and stunning set of #25 handles!

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Who is that DW guy, anyway? I mean he doesn't even appreciate the CFL...

Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Steel Addict

Dang DW...... now look what you've done!!!!!!

I obviously had not thought of that........I guess from now on I'll have to put an asterisk beside it.....
Old 01-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

sweet...

Here's one ya don't see often...

Crowsbeak pommel, JRB sheath, Model 25-5 c. 1988
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 219.jpg (93.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Skilled

Tune, you are way too cool for me! They are magnificent! I think that DW should send you the completer ASAP before Ron forgets the patterns. It didn't take too long for the engraving huh? It doesn't seem that long ago that they were unadorned of engraving.

ONE BEAUTIFUL SET OF RANDALL MADE KNIVES!!!

seuss
Old 01-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Bro,

The engraving was pretty easy...... Ron had about a 4 month wait. I sent all of them at once and he turned them around quickly. Ron's a great guy to work with.

Now I need to get the set scrimmed....... I'm saving my milk money!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Skilled

Tune, what a mind boggling proposition that is, to wrap ones mind around. Scrim those beauties! Now the question that would drive me nuts is what to put on them? Let it be a surprise for us and we'll all just imagine what we would have put on them Geez, what a project!

seuss

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives