MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Fitzo - Post Moved

Chuck made me look! So, naturally, I gotta say some things:

It has long been a practice that a lot of top end knives, expressly intended for display, don't come with a sheath. Why? A lot of makers don't like to make sheathes, is one reason. It adds to the cost, is another. Another reason is that, quite simply, a lot of makers' sheathmaking isn't up to their knifemaking, and a crappy sheath would denigrate the rest of the work and cause embarassment. The purchaser, should they so choose, is thus free to obtain a sheath from sources like Chuck and Sandy who typically offer a much higher caliber of artistry than a maker usually will include. I don't see this as necessarily a bad thing.

That said, it has always bugged me that the carry mechanism is not as important as the knife itself to a lot of makers. When I did shows, the sheaths were always proudly displayed right next to the knives on the table, not tucked under, out of view, in a box. They weren't the works of art that are displayed here, but we were satisfied they'd do their job, and didn't "need a bag over their head", so to speak. I feel that a good sheath is a selling point in and of itself, as born out by Messers Chuck and Sandy's fine work amongst others on this forum.

I am not only a maker but coollect a few, too, and I have to say, after some of the sheaths I've gotten with $1000 knives, that perhaps it IS better they don't include them!

This is a very interesting thread. Having been occupied on another topic, I missed it. Thanks, Chuck, for the "recommended reading"!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Normark - Post Moved

Hey Guys...

I see this problem every single day. As a matter of fact my company exists because of this very problem..

The production knife industry is famous for this.. all around good knives with bad sheaths, sometimes Really bad.

I have a knife from a well known US company that came in a leather sheath, that was only sewed together. It wasn't even glued. Literally twice in and out of the sheath and the cheap stitching had cut through exposing 3/4" worth of blade out the side. Not only Cheap,, but Dangerous to the user.

My focus is on "Tactical" type knives. I know very little about leather work.Some of you leather guys just blow my mind...

More and more companies are using synthetics with their tactical knives, unfortunately, or should I say fortunately for me, the sheaths are still ill fitting, and poorly designed and made.

With so many knife companies on the market, the piece of pie gets smaller and smaller. These companies are now seeing that we (custom sheath makers) have something to offer, both in leather and synthetics. I sheath for several smaller companies, and they now know what a quality synthetic sheath is all about.

Many makers are now using custom sheath makers to their advantage. The advantage is that we specialize in one thing, and usually one thing only.

We have worked on so many different knives and styles, and can work around problems that the ordinary knife maker would have difficulty with.

They also see that having a custom sheath maker such as myself associated with them, can also be an advantage as far as brand name recognition. Many customers have told me that the knife sold or was a contributing factor because it had an On/Scene Tactical sheath with it.

Many of you custom sheath makers here should be able to attest to that yourself.

I'm a firm believer that a Good quality sheath either made by a custom sheath maker or the maker himself will help sell the knife. Potential customers can be turned away because of a poorly designed sheath, or No sheath at all. Some will not want to take the time and have the knife sent off for a custom sheath.. Many will, but I think that if the knife already came with one,, those customers that are iffy, and holding back will buy the knife.

Being skimpy on the sheath,or a poor sheath makes the final product look not so tempting, and worth less then it really is..

If asked, I believe the customer would gladly pay the extra few dollars it would take to dress that knife properly, with a good looking, good working hand made sheath, by someone who knows what they are doing.

Just my Thoughts and opinions on the matter..

ttyle

Eric...

Leading the Way in
Quality, Custom Synthetic Sheathing

Last edited by Normark on 05-27-2004 at 10:52 AM

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Steel Addict

you guy's have blown my mind. overload heck- Mine exploded.
I just spoke with dc knives so he could design me a sheath for my bowie that I make.
The sheath has to look like it and the knife are one. I have been fighting with making sheaths for a while now, and have decided that until I become better at making sheaths I would let a pro make it.
Both are one. one compliments the other, just like being married, the 2 make awhole.
great thread, thank you for having such a open place and great wisdoms and knowledge.
snakeman . bearfootknives.com

http://www.snakemanshuntingden.com
Old 06-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

I am located in Atlanta, GA and am looking for a good Kydex knife sheath maker in GA. I have a project I would like help with. If someone has information please let me know.
Pointman
Old 06-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Pointman, you would get more response if you posted your needs in the Sheathmaking sub-forum. As you can see it has been almost two years since the last posting in this thread. Most "stickeys" are read shortly after they are first posted as they contain great points of interest but seem to gradually fade after thousands of viewings. I do wish to thank you for again bringing this back to the top as I think it to be a "must" read! It gives an insight to a problem that requires thoughtful attention. ---Sandy---

Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Registered

Chuck,

Here is a picture of a knife sheath that was in the competition at the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade show.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Jim, you are much too modest -- please give us more details Also, since this "sticky" is read infrequently (as pointed out by Sandy earlier), you should post this in the "Sheath Gallery" forum. I'm sure many more will be pleased to find it there.

Beautiful carving ! I took the time to look up your website -- what a visual treat

Mike

Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Guru

That is some beautiful work.Am I wrong in assuming that buck is an applique? If it is how did you attach it? I couldn't get your link to work sadly as I would love to see more of your work.Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Dave, try this, http://www.elktracks.net/home.htm Nice, eh

Mike

Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Guru

Thanks Mike.Book marked that baby. Very impressive Jim.Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Skilled

Good to see you here, Jim. Beautiful work!

- Jim
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Still good advice that is as pertinent now as it was over 7 years ago----Sandy

Last edited by Sandy Morrissey; 03-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Valentim
My name is Rodrigo Valentim new in the forum I'm posting some of my work with Sheaths
who want more contacts

MY BLOG
http://rodrigoguasqueiro.blogspot.com

MY SITE
http://rodrigoguasqueiro.freetzi.com/

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives, sheath