MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-07-2004, 03:37 PM

Question lock blade tensionspring ats 34

I am fixing to make a lock blade folder. but there are several different designs. Im wanting to make my folder out of ATS 34 because it stainless to an extent. I am wondering when I get all the pieces made do I have all of them hardened and is there something special I should have done to the spring. I would have to send them to TEXAS KNIFE MAKERS supply to have them hardened and it would be a huge let down for the spring to come back so hard it couldnt be used. Also im curious what some opinions are on the easiest spring design to make would be. Im leaning towards a split spring but Im just not sure if it would be hard to do or not I just have a few power tools and I would make all the parts myself rather then to buy them.I have been making Knives for about 2 years now and I want to make ayself a lock blade pretty bad Ive read several books but cant seem to find much iformation about it. Any one who could shed some light on this it would be greatly appriciated.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You'll definitely want to have the blade hardened. I gathered from your post that you intend to make some kind of lock back folder rather than a liner lock. If the spring is made from ATS-34 then it will have to be hardened to a spring temper. With some designs, the lock bar is not the spring, in which case the bar can be as hard as the blade. In that design, a piece of spring material is set into a slot in the lock bar.

All you need to do is tell Texas Knife Makers if you want the ATS-34 part to be spring temper and they will do the rest.

As for what design is simplest, I only build liner locks so naturally they seem simplest to me........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Hall of Famer

ATS 34 is great for the blade, but I don't recommend ATS 34 for the spring. It would have to be drawn back too far to make a spring. You could use ATS 34 for your rocker bar, though, and have it drawn back to around 55Rc by the heat treater if he will do that for you.

Your ATS 34 blade should be hardened and tempered to 58 to 61Rc.

I ssume we're talking about a lockback folder?:confused:

Better to use a piece of stainless piano wire, and that wouldn't need to be heat treated. You can get that from MSC if the knifemakers Supply co's. don't have it in their catalogs. They did years ago, and I used it for lockbacks.

Nowadays, though, it seems most people are making slipjoints or linerlocks. I don't know if the supply houses still have piano wire for springs in their catalogs.

Good luck with your folder.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Skilled

Don, TKS sells lockback spring steel in a couple different sizes. I've got some around here someplace and planned to use it in your assisted opening button lock as soon as I can catch up with some of the other stuff around here.

-Frank J Warner

Old 02-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank J Warner
Don, TKS sells lockback spring steel in a couple different sizes. I've got some around here someplace and planned to use it in your assisted opening button lock as soon as I can catch up with some of the other stuff around here.

-Frank J Warner
Good idea, Frank. That'll work fine. So will piano wire. Your post reminded me that I have some of both left over from my lockback days.

I still think I'll use .050" thick Ti sheet for mine, though. I'll make it a slip fit between the liners, so it has no place to go except up and down.

I like the action of a Ti spring.

I'm glad to hear you're going to build that knife.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Hall of Famer

I just realized that we hadn't answered the last part of the original post by archer.

Study the book "How To Make Folding Knives" by Wayne Clay, Ron Lake, and Frank Centofante. It will teach you everything you need to make lockbacks.

I used a combination of their 3 methods, with Lake's lockbar style, and Clay's comression spring on my lockbacks.

Have fun.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Living Legend

My method for a spring is tit. I make my spacer and spring all from 1 piece and I use tit. It works very good I dont have to heat treat it ..

Old 02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Master

Hi Ron. I have only ever made liner locks but want to try a lock back. I did understand you when you said you use titanium for the spring and spacer for your lock backs? I believe someone was concerned that the titanium in a lock back would fail. Do you cut the leaf of the sping and gring it to tension rather than bending it to work? Thanks. Frank

Old 02-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Living Legend

Hi Frank .. Yes you are right that is the way I do it .. I have made a lot of locks backs this way and that is the only type of folder that I make .. I dont make a lot of knives my biggest job is engraving and that keeps me very busy .. I have a coffin handle on the bench now as soon as it is finished Iwill post some photos alsoIcan post some photos of the spring and lock ..

Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Master

Hey, thanks very much Ron. I will watch for the pictures. Frank

Old 02-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Living Legend

Here are 2 photos of my spring for lock backs ..This photo is how the spring looks

Old 02-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Living Legend

And this is what is looks like assembled .. The knife is 4 inc. closed , the bolsters are Eggerling damacus and the scales are giraffe bone .I hope this helps . I only make about 20 knives a yr ..se .ya .at one of the knife shows ..

Old 02-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Master

Thanks Ron. Unfortunately I am not a go to show guy, but wish you lots of sales and great times being there! THe pictures tell it all. Frank

Tags
blade, knife, knives