MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-23-2001, 06:31 PM
JerryO13

Reference Forum

Reference Forum

As a way of keeping all the cool info together a non-postable forum that stores the assorted references
I've only seen the 2 so far

Neil Charity's "How to build a folder"
Ashley Hearn's "Little Skinner"

but once we have a few more ...

also a good place to keep information articles that are posted.
Eventually I'd probably try to write a Show etiquette article based kind of on what I wrote to Paul in the Custom collecting forum I'd butcher up a single document from the entire thread, something similar can be done in the other threads.
maybe post heat treating temps for varying steels stuff like that.

maybe get Jens to do a thing on european knifemakers or the european view on knives.
or maybe get some of these Forgin' Fools to show us how it's done!

Just a few thoughts
Old 01-23-2001, 08:16 PM
primos

Jerry,
Don't forget Don Cowles great tutorial on insetting jewels.

I was thinking of pretty much the same thing. A read-only area that stores our tutorials and references. For the tutorials that are heavy with graphics, break them down into smaller units (separate threads) so that they would load faster for modem users.

The tutorials would still originate in their respective forums, then when complete, be archived and placed in the read-only tutorial archives.

Old 01-23-2001, 08:18 PM
CKDadmin

Excellent Idea ... consider it done!

Alex
Old 01-24-2001, 03:55 AM
Kris M

I don't want step in where I'm not wanted, but I think Terrys idea of breaking the longer graphic heavy threads down into smaller parts would be a very good idea. With my little 24k connection, I have yet to be able to view all the pictures on the first page of the "Lil' Skinner" thread without having to open each of the last ten or so manually.
Here's some info from the images list of that page:

Unique images: 52 Total images: 81
Total bytes:

Image loading will take about:
957.64 seconds @ 14.4
478.82 seconds @ 28.8

246.5 seconds @ 56K

Sincerely,

Kris M

Old 01-24-2001, 01:30 PM
CKDadmin

Kris,

Don't ever worry about speaking up in here. You're CKD all the way, dude!

OK ... Point noted!

Alex
Old 01-24-2001, 05:18 PM
dogman

Perhaps every month or so, the moderators can get together and determine topics that should be added to the reference area, but instead of a forum, how about a tutorial section in the main CKD area that will be readily available as a link on the top of the board with the rest of the links.
That way, topic drift can be edited out and just the meat and potatos will be left over.

I can do updates just like I do link updates.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:49 PM
JerryO13

Hey, Big Dog that's probably the way to go. I like the idea of being able to give someone a direct link. A lot of times when I give a link to the forums, it's such a long path that it gets chopped in the email (plaintext only).
Old 01-24-2001, 07:19 PM
primos

Bob,
That would have been my preferred method. The reason I didn't bring it up is that this forum doesn't use any of CKD's space.

If you guys are willing to allocate some space for the tutorials and reference material on the main site, I'd be all for it.

Old 01-26-2001, 03:36 AM
CKDadmin

How about 20GB? That should hold us for a while.

Good, it's settled!

Let's do it! I'll build a search engine into the site and index all the content. We can link the search engine from every site connected to the CKD that wants the search on their personal sites. Actually, we should be making our own search engine for the industry anyway. All we'd have to do is have the program available to submit sites to and index our contents.

Coming soon ... CKD Knife Search! All the pages on the custom knife net worth looking up ... right here!

How does that sound?

Alex
Old 01-26-2001, 08:09 AM
primos

I like it!
Old 03-08-2001, 08:37 PM
KandSKNIVES

You guys are way to cool. What is that about minds coming together. If the links could be partitioned into groupings of similar or related info. Also this would save alot of time for the person needing info. Most questions could be directed to the reference forum. Way to cool guys!
Ken
Old 03-08-2001, 09:25 PM
CKDadmin

Ken ...

Grouped, organized, archived and searchable ... yeah baby! I've seen a sneek preview (Bob's doing the project), it's no longer a reference forum ... it's a technical database reference from you know where ... :evil:

Alex

Tags
forge, knife, knives