MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Skilled

Upward----Let's carve out a new one---#6!!

O.K., Crew,
While I am still awaiting a few stragglers input on the "lucky number" picks for our "fifth" build, I though we should get under way on our 6th! This build probably will not approach 2000 views and hundreds of posts, but it does not make it anymore less of a project.
The Model #6 series of Randall knives is available in 3 blade lengths and 2 types of steel! Most folks would associate this nummber ( "6" ) with a carving knife, and that might very well be what we wind up building in our construction project. Before we do, however, we should examine "all" possible scenarios before we undertake this build.
So: How do we proceed. We need a meeting of the minds and an open discussion about the "optional" type of 6's available. I'll leave the door open and ya'll can begin to tell me what is and is not available...Should be interesting...Best, The "Captain"

Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Well its obvious that if we choose the steak knife we then lose the fork and sharpening steel. I say we go with the real 6, the complete set! Although I will admit the steak knife would make a great hunting knife.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Steel Addict

well than, let's do the Model #6 Steak Knife & build it as a Hunter.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Steel Addict

Well I think we should get the whole shooting match, we can work on my accessorizing!
Can we get the whole boat or what! What's our choices?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Friends,

I agree with Doublethink 98,

I think that we should go for the set, and then use one of our "other" models for the steak knife. I imagine that we can use all types of different handle materials, (stag, micarda, wood), and then maybe have a few options left for "Jazzing it up"!

Kent

RKS #109
Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Steel Addict

I agree with the complete Set

Old 04-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Skilled

Lots of choices to make here. You can make it up as the traditional carving set or as a camp and field knife (looks like a very long and sexy Model 3) or with a double hilt as a long thin fighter. Whichever way you go you can include the fork and sharpener and the felt roll or order it with a leather sheath. I have an older carving set already and have orders in for Model 6s both of the other ways. My first question is if we want an option like for instance finger grips and are getting the carving SET does finger grips on all three pieces only count as one option? If yes then we can do a bunch of stuff and stay within the five option limit.
Jeff
Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

I would love to see us do the carving set. Since I don't own one and I admire my friend's set when it's time to do some carving at camp!

RKS #5186
Mike #187
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Steel Addict

Set

RKS #5224
Old 04-24-2007, 07:15 PM

I'm not trying to influence you guys... But...

Go for the set!

We did and we're not sorry.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Skilled

It seems to me that doing a carving set is too darned easy. Looking at the PIC that Moose posted it is easy to see that the addition of metal and fiber spacers is all that it takes to make the carving set PERFECT. On the other hand we could discuss a Model 6 fighter with fork and sharpener and felt roll and leather sheath and options for quite awhile.
Jeff
Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
It seems to me that doing a carving set is too darned easy. Looking at the PIC that Moose posted it is easy to see that the addition of metal and fiber spacers is all that it takes to make the carving set PERFECT. On the other hand we could discuss a Model 6 fighter with fork and sharpener and felt roll and leather sheath and options for quite awhile.
Jeff
OK! You said the one word that gets my attention: Fighter! Give us a description of what your talking about here. I'll picture it with Mr. S. R. Mallory's #5 handle material!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

In the Capt's first message he says the knife is available in "3" blade lengths. I know about the steak knife and the knife with the carving set but what is the last blade length and does anyone have any pics they could show of this blade length on a knife they own?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Skilled

Clarity

Finally!
Someone picked up on the fact that "3" blade lengths are available! Also "some" are available in "carbon" or stainless. A lot more to discuss than just: "Yeah...Me too...Carver". Let's put on our thinking caps, crew.This is not going to be "nearly" as easy as ya'll are starting.
O.K. "NO" finger grips on any Model #6 (3/16" stock)..Remember? Don't forget to look "outside the box". I had a carving set and steak knives made with ivorite micarta handle, commando-shaped, and they were awesome!
"And"...No "extra" slots or specials are going to be available later to order a steak knife. This is a "one-shot" deal folks...Make the best of it. When I started these builds, I stated that we were going to make 24 models. That means that some, like the Model #9 will not be in the mix. It also means that there will be no chance to make 2 models with the same number, regardless of blade length. To be continued......Best, The "Captain"

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Well thanks for the at a boy Capt but you and no one else has still answered the question. What is the other blade length for the 6? Come on guys whats the secret on the 3rd #6? Any pics or ideas?

Tags
blade, fishing knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives