MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt, Guys and Martha,

Here's my nickle. (Inflation)

I would like to see Stainless blade, thumb notch, (Yup, one of the first times that I haven't agreed with Jeff) NS single hilt with red/aluminum spacers, stag (the redder the better) handel with finger grips, and no butt plate, but Maybe a compass instead!

My thoughts!:

Kent

RKS # 109
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Skilled

7 options

Kent,
That really sounds like a cool Model #3. Unfortunately, that is 7 options instead of 5. We need to keep this thing to 5 or less. Best, Capt. Chris Stanaback

Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt,

Your right. Sooo We'll just have to drop a few. 1st to go would be the compass. Second would be the color red, on the stag. Second drop would probally be finger grips...but sure would miss them!

Kent

RKS #109
Old 09-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Steel Addict

Talking

Cpt.

Well, I should of pre-viewed the last post. Just kidding about the "red stag color". My second drop would be finger grips.

Am pretty interested in seeing how this one will turn out.

Kent

RKS #109
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Steel Addict

SS blade, Std brass round top hilt, thumb notches, Stag, fingergrips, compass. (function over form here, no NS hardware, fancy spacers or butt cap/plate) I think we have five options there.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM

I like the style of this oldie but goodie. Classic 3-6.
old 3 1.jpg

old 3 2.jpg

Jerry

Old 09-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Steel Addict

Capt., you asked for it, so here we go.
After owning almost 200 Randalls since I have started collecting them for the past 5 - 6 years, my taste has changed. At first, I was getting just any New Randall I could get my hands on just so I could see & feel what they were like. I than moved on to the Older Randalls, which I still enjoy collecting now. I have since sold off most of my newer Randalls, except for a few "Users". The only new Models that interest me now are "Potential Users", which I usually Order, since I also enjoy Building them. In my mind, these New Randalls are just too expensive & hard to get to see them wasted as "Safe Queens". After all, they really were designed to be used!!! I have found the following Preferences work for me in building a "User". These Preferences will also work for me now that we are in the "5 Option Era":

Blades: I have found that the 01 Carbon Tool Steel works just fine for me. I actually like the "Stained Patina" look they get after they have been used. Anything 6" or over in length is just way too long. I have been staying with the 5" lengths and less lately in the 1/4" Stock / Full Size Blades.

Thumb Notches: An Option I have found that I just gotta have. You can never have too much "Gription" on a "User". I have even started to add them myself to Randalls I own, since I already own a few Checkering Files & I have the experience serrating gun parts. (Maybe an idea for another Posting some day)

Duralumin Butt Cap: I like the Full Length / Thru Bolted construction that you get with a Butt Cap, since it adds so much strength. I also specify a "Rounded Off But Cap" (No Extra Cost) since it won't show all the Nicks that you end up with in a regular Butt Cap. If you order a Leather Handle, you also get this "On the Arm", at No extra Cost.

Brass Butt Caps: I really like the look of Brass Trim on a knife, since it "Patinas Up" so nicely. But I have found that the weight of a Brass Butt Cap is just too heavy in the back end for me. I have NOT tried a "Thin Brass Butt Cap" yet, but I am anxious to handle one. Since I am always going to be carrying this knife in a Sheath, the extra weight always bounces around too much in a Sheath.

Hilts: I find the "Flat / Square Top" Hilt looks & works the best for me. Since it is at NO Extra Cost, I also won't take a Hit in the Option Count. I like the looks of the Brass Hilt the best, but I usually go with the Nickel Silver Option if I go with a Leather Handle & the Duralumin Butt Cap, since it matches better.

Spacers: With a Leather Handle, I have been ordering them with the "All Black" Spacers. It looks better than the Red, White, & Blue Spacers to me & is also another "No Extra Cost Selection". With a Stag Handle though, I usually will go for the Black & Brass Spacers though.

Leather Handles: I have been ordering all of my "Users" lately with Leather Handles, since I have found that they work the best for me. Simple yet practical. I first went on a 4 Finger Grip Binge, but I found that the Finger Grooves are ground to fit a "Generic" hand & don't usually fit my hand. They just didn't feel right to me, so I have been ordering them with the Standard Shape. I usually dip the Handle in HOT Steamy water to roughen up the Leather a bit to give me even more "Gription".

Stag Handles: They look nice, but I don't like to spend the extra $45.00 and another $15.00 for the Duralumin Butt Cap. I would also end up useing up 2 of my possible Options. I fell I need the Duralumin Butt Cap for the Strength when I get a Full Size "User". I find that a Stag handle is fine without the Duralumin Butt Cap in the 3/16" Blade Stock / Smaller Randalls though.

Micarta & Wood Handles: They look nice, but they just add a extra Cost Option, and they don't have enough "Gription" for me. The Micarts is strong though. If I ordered it, I would probably go with the Black Micarta & the All Black Spacers.

Wrist Thong: I always order my Randalls with one. You never know when you want to "Hang Her Up", plus it does reduce some weight at the rear.

Sheaths: I always order my Sheath with the "No Hone Pouch" Selection. They work the best for a knife that you actually carry, and there is also NO Extra Cost for that. I have been ordering all my Sheaths Waxed, since they will hold up better & I also like the look. Now that we are in the "5 Option Era" I will just send the Sheath down to Sullivans after the Fact & get it Dipped. They will Wax it for you for the the same price, plus the cost of the Shipping. You will NOT get the "W" stamp, but I don't care about that.

Feel: A Randall has to "Feel Right" to me in order to be kept as a "User". If it doesn't "Feel Right" to me, I will just end up Peddleing it on eBay & ordering another one. The Weight, Balance & Shape of the Handle all create a Randall that just "Feels Perfect" to me. This is a Big Personal Thing to me, but I am sure a lot of you guys out there know what I am talking about. Some Randalls just feel Perfect to me & some don't.

Look: For a "User", I like the Plain & Simple Look best. I don't care for anything Shiney or Flashy.

Again, these "Preferences" are what work for me. They probably will not work for Safe Queens / Collectors" though. I pass it on so that everyone else may learn from my mistakes & experiences if they are looking to Build a "User" and just haven't had the Luxury I have in handling as many Randalls as I have.

As far as the Model #3 goes, I have not had the Oportunity to get a #3 "User" yet, so I am glad that we picked the 5" length Blade. We just might end up Building a nice "User" here.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Steel Addict

Wow!..Well thought out and well written Mike!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:46 PM

Mike, Cap et al,

I appreciate Mike's explanation of his Randallevolution (It's a word, no?). It certainly makes great sense coming from his still well functioning brain (not bad for a Yankee)!

As a few of you know (well, maybe most of you), I don't hunt, don't fish, and merely need a good knife to cut the odd twig, or slice up a steak, so when it comes to having a user, my needs are definitely limited. (However, I do have two users: a #25-5 and a RMK carving set).

All this to say that my preferences for this build would be a stainless blade for the "cleanability" (yup, it's a word, eh?), and the fact that I don't dare cross the Captain. Thumb notches are essential for "gription" (it's a word, ask Mike).

For a hilt, I do like brass (and I don't want to be a square, so I'm sticking to the a standard single (even if the squared top won't cost an option).

Of course this will require a matching brass butt cap, but I like my butts round.

As far as handle material goes, ya'll know it's got be stag.

I can live with or with out a wrist thong, but definitely without a thong.

For the sheath I like the waxed, no hone idea, but make mine black.

How many options does this make?

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 09-14-2006, 06:57 PM

Oops! I fogot to mention spacers.

I'll go for red and brass.

Ixnay on the black sheath, I'll go with tan.

Moosehead

Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Skilled

Fuel!

Crew,
Just to throw some fuel on the fire: A couple of things to "update" ya'll on. Sheaths are "not" considered as part of the 5 option policy from the Randall shop to it's dealers. You can have a sheath with 3 options on it, therefore actually getting a Randall combination with 8 options and being"legal"!
Also: "Moose". I know you changed your mind and it is a good thing because "black" sheaths are not available "waxed"..Tan only. O.K. That's about it: Except for this:
Carbon verses stainless steel. Just one thing to think about for all of you "tool steel" freaks out there. What does your supper taste like, particularly your: steak: potato: tomato: salad: onions: etc. when you slice and eat 'em with a carbon steel blade? To me it's like some folks reaction to fingernails down a chalkboard! The "chalkboard: doesn't bother me. The "rust" taste on my plate does! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 09-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Steel Addict

Capt.,
That is great news on the Sheaths, since I can get the "No Hone Pouch" & Waxed Sheath without eating up any of those precious 5 Options. That "Shop Policy" also makes sense, since the Sheaths are not made in the Shop and should't affect production.
As far as that Carbon vs. Stainless "Taste", I haven't noticed a "Rust Taste on any of the Venison that I consume. Up at Camp the Venison usually gets cooked in a ribbed Cast Iron pan anyways. I never heard any complaints of a "Rust Taste".

My Build would stay with the Carbon Blade, but now that I have a few more Options to spend, I could live with a Stainless Blade.

Last edited by mhwwlmc; 09-18-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Steel Addict

For a user I have a Tool Steel #3, It holds an edge well, Since I haven't had a stainless user yet, will some one who has used both let us know which one holds an edge better.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Skilled

Initial "roll call"

O.K., Crew,
It's been long enough and it's also been "slow" on the forum...so: Let's put out an initial "roll call" for the following: Blade steel and handle material. We can hold off on the "hardware" and use this roll call to start finishing up our build. Again: Nothing carved in stone yet, except that we are building a 5" Model #3..Everything else is wide open.
Chief: With regards to your question about which steel holds the best edge...We can go on and on. Being a Florida boy and having to deal with the "elements" of guiding, etc., I like stainless....but not "all" stainless. Randall's 440 series, unlike most everyone else out there is...FORGED STAINLESS!! Big difference! Carbon steel is easier to sharpen...Yeah...whatever. I never let my blade get dull enough to notice the difference in edge-holding ability or ease of sharpening. I touch up my Randall on every deer I process...several times. I use carbon steel also and really notice no difference. It's all personal preference!
I do not care which steel we use...really! Carbon steel allows us to utilize our 5 options in other ways...O.K., So does a brass hilt..so what. Build what you guys ever choose, debate to the top, or agree by majority on. I do know this: I use a lot of Randall knives. "Touching up" makes the whole ball game a lot easier, regardless of steel.
We'll let this thing roll for a few days and try to give everyone a chance to voice their opinions, but let's start a roll call. We want to be able to hunt with this thing...a least by "next year"! Best, The "Captain"
P.S. When I say I like stainless, but not all stainless, let me give ya'll an example. Ever try to sharpen an 'ol Puma folder compared to an 'ol Buck folder? If you ever have, you already know what I mean! CCS

Last edited by The "Captain"; 09-19-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

I see absolutely no downside to using stainless, except it uses an option. A stainless blade is ALWAYS first on the option list of any knives that I order. Stainless just holds up better to the elements better than carbon and, as the Capt. says above, sharpening/sharpness in not an issue. So with a SS blade and four other options, a pretty nice knife can be assembled.

Tags
blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives