MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Skilled

Gary,
Yeah: I would "like" a lot of things Randall doesn't make. A folder comes to mind, but this knife has to specifically be custom-made from "shop-supplied" material and "shop-available" stock. I guess maybe I didn't make myself clear enough on that point. Marc mentioned earlier a 4" model #3. That would be a 1/4" blade that is "too short" to order from the shop. You mentioned a 3/16" model #11, "longer" then the Randall shop supplies. For some reason, I find that extremely interesting. Funny how different and varied folk's thoughts can be on a Randall to be used for the same purpose: Don't you think?
Back in the 70's and 80's, John Newell, owner of the "Orvis" store in Winter Park, Fl. (and an "authorized" Randall knife dealer), had Gary and Bo make him up a "Rod & Gun Companion", which was his dealer special. It was a 4 1/2" Model #8, "Trout and Bird". It was made out of AEB-L Stainless and came with a walnut handle and Johnson "butterfly-stitched" roughback sheath! It was way cool, but it ain't available any more, either. The only 3/16" stock Randall hunting knife blade to fit the bill is a model #22-4 5/8" "Outdoorsman", and it isn't remotely a drop point.
Back to the drawing board. Of all the Randalls that I use, until recently, the only Model #11 that I used was a 3 1/4" one. I received a 4" a while back with incredible stag and a lot of other "goodies". It is now in my user stack! Keep coming up with ideas, folks!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

I was afraid of that? ####. OK, then my vote is for a #11-4" blade of 3/16" stock.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast

Red face Suggestion on Building a Knife

First of all, I would like to say I was directed to this site by Capt., missed you all and the real discussions of Randalls.

Now lets get down to business.

Hunting Knife

In my opinion there is only 2 choices to be made here.

Model 23 in Stainless, Stag Handle, Squared Top Hilt with notches and Brass hardware. In a no hone sheath so that your rifle sling does not get hung up on the stone pouch.

Stanaback Configuration in same way.

This is my opinion for a very functional knife to use in the field, as this is what I carry.

As far as steel goes, .01 or stainless, if you don't let them get dull they are not hard to sharpen.

Best to all,

Ryan "Pigsticker" Hays
Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Steel Addict

Wecome aboard Ryan. Glad to have you on the forum.

Wayne

Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Steel Addict

Great to see you here Ryan
Old 06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Skilled

Pigsticker,
I knew, if I sent ya' the link, you would get on here. Ya' just can't pass up a chance at a cool Randall "hunter", can ya'? When are we going to hear from the Mrs.?
Seriously: Welcome aboard!! I see your preferance in hunters calls for a false edge. Good choice, for many reasons. A lot of folks don't realize the benefits of a sharpened top bevel on a hunting knife. For one thing, when you are cutting around the anas and opening the critter up, it helps make for a much more surgical cut. One other quick advantage is the fact that, if your knife does start to get a bit dull, you can turn that bad buy over and "click" the backstrap right off of the backbone, with no effort at all! The top bevel stays sharp a lot longer than your "main" cutting area, as it does not come in contact with as much hide, hair, guts, and generally nasty stuff during the butchering process.
Are the other choices that are in the running good ones? Absolutely!! "ALL" should get serious consideration before the final vote, in my opinion. It is real easy to vote for your favorite model. It even makes some sense. "BUT" (there is always a "but") other folk's views and hunting experiances should be taken into consideration. Ryan: I am glad that you shared your's with the group. And: It's good to see one vote for the lowely ol' "Stanaback Special" anyway.

WELCOME, Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Ryan,
good to see you here!
Marc

Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Skilled

Ryan, welcome aboard! Glad to see you here! "If you don't let 'em get dull, the're not hard to sharpen". Good one PS! Man, Cap's got me in a bind here since I don't hunt but I know what I like and I agree with you for sure on the squared top single hilt with notches and stag. I've got one like that and it feeeeels gooood! I think I'd go with nickel silver stuff but, I'd say it won't matter in the field. Just a visual preference I guess. I think most of us are getting down to about 4 models to choose from and it's just real hard to ignore your one choice of Cap's special. The stuff we want is on that one and with a 1/4 inch thick blade for a bunch of strength and being designed by a hunter for a hunter is hard to ignore. Being a hunter yourself, have you ever used a #19 as a hunter? I like those thick blades but the 19 may be too wide for smallish game like rabbits. Probably be good for a 1,000 pound pig though.

Seussbrother
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Skilled

Seuss,
First of all, thank you for clearing something up for me. I have had Nancy searching all over the house for the source of the smell of something burning. She, nor I could find any clues. Once you posted that I, along with Pigsticker, had goten you to thinking, I realized where the burning smell was coming from. Careful there, ol' timer: Don't blow a gasket!
With regards to a Model #19 as a true "hunter" I have only had limited experience. That experience showed me that the knife is just too broad to cut whitetail deer open, starting and the anas and working your way down. The "skinning" element of a model #19 is great, but the gutting part is not. Will it work: Absolutely!! Probably more of an "all-around" camp design, in my book, unless "literally" in the "bush" of Africa where stuff is real large!!
So, now, big boy: Relax and enjoy the posts: Try not to think too much: work on your decision-making ability (we are going to need it real soon). And remember what my Dad used to say: "You're better off to sit there and look real dumb, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". Words to live by, which I have not. It has been my downfall for years! Best, dude, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

user knife

Suess,

I would have to agree with the Capt. the Model 19 is to broad for skinning unless you are skinning large game, such as moose or brown bear. It is more suited for an all round camping knife. In my experience, as everyone can tell, the knife needs a false top edge sharpened, it makes short work of the animal. As far as blade length, no bigger than 4-1/2". It still needs to remaining small enough to do delicate work on small animals, such as rabbits. As far as handle material, In my opinion, it needs to be stag or micarta, so it can stand the abuse and clean up easy.As far as hardware, brass vs nickel silver, it is more a personal preference. But as far as sheaths, there is no doubt in my mind, it needs to be a no hone sheath. Once again, my vote, Model 23 or stanaback special.

Ryan
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

As you all know my 8 is the bees knees, to me anyway...

Has anyone mentioned the real need of a back up knife here?

I use my 8 for the fine work and looks like my 19 (my 25 is still on the collector part of the shelf ) will be for everything else and the Tabor will be used for the real grunt work...

Since I have yet to use the 19 on an elk I cannot say whether its to thick or not... But it sure is ground to a fine edge that I cannot see it being a problem... And I have used similar knives without to much trouble...

And I agree Stag or micarta is da only way to fly...

Old 06-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

hunting knife

CO
The 19 is a good knife no dought about it. The problem I ran into was when I got inside the animal. It just was to thick to do small cuts with. Now when you make your first cut into the animal it did wonderful. Now with that said, I have used my 23 from deer, rabbits, fish, turkey, hogs, pheasents and quial. Will all the other models work that have been sugested here with out a dought yes. IMHO the knife needs to have a fales edge sharpen.
Scott get that model 25 out and get it dirty. What is the hold up?
SB you dont hunt, well now we know whats wrong with you. No charge for the self help
Old 06-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Skilled

P.S., I am hunting with the rest of you guys vicariously and learning more every day. Just returned from a great 3 day and 2 night adventure with Colorado. Learned how to cook a rabbit in the wild and how to just-pretend-like kill a rabbit and eat a sandwich instead. He was great company. We didn't speak for three days because of our gentleman's agreement. We each pretended we were alone and there were no spiders and snakes. I carried my Pathfinder in case I didn't have to clean anything.

Seussbrother
Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Skilled

Seuss,
Ya' just ain't right!

Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

hunting knife

SB
Seek help, you need it. Your just not right

Tags