MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Skilled

Question Stainless Heatreating

I was looking at an Evenheat webpage that outlined heat treating guidelines for several types of steel and it said that you could oil quench ATS-34, 440-C and 154CM.
I want to believe that to be true and was wanting to see who has done so and what are your experiences / suggestions?

I am in the process of building an electric HT oven that I know would be required in this procedure.

Thanks -

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Guru

It's true, but it would be my last choice for air hardening steels. Plate quenching is the way to do it if you can, air quenching next. I don't see any advantage to using oil, especially not when you can pull a completely straight blade out of the quench plates.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Cap-
What are the dimensions for your plates? Aluminum I assume- Do you fit a "trough" for the blade to sit in or just use flat surfaces?

yep- I hate dealing with those crooked blades.... they never seem to warp where straightening would be easy.

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Master

Plate quenching is the most convenient ! Aluminum plates 3/4" - 1" thick , and a few inches wider and longer than your total blade length. Leave in the foil, put some pressure on the plates. It's fast and should eliminate warping. 1"x6"x 16" should cover most blades.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 AM

if they warp warp em back ,ATS 440 c can both be streaghtened back out before tempering ,I do it all the time , I use a ruler steel scale to check em with then make em back true before you temper , No biggie , I am curious to know what tempretures you use /per how long an such ,I have heard so many different ones who knows , how ofter does your oven need calibrating ect ., anyone know this stuff as a hard an fast rule ,I know what works for me in most cases but nothing is 100 % everytime , T
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM

I use aluminum quench plates just as is no trough for the blade. My plates are 3" thick by 6" wide by 18" long. I have yet to have a blade too big for those and they suck the heat out real quick.
Steve

Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Skilled

yeah- how would you calibrate an oven???? who knows- I guess I am trusting the electonics...they would never be wrong would they (tounge firmly in cheek)...I do know that my steel gets a lot harder now that I "know" the temps I'm getting.

Tags
blade, knife