MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Guru

thermocouples

I figured I'd cross post this here since ya'll probably have the experience I'm looking for.

I'm looking at getting some high temp thermocouples for a non-knife related project. I'm having a hard time deciphering the websites on what is needed. I'm looking at Omega type R thermocouples for up to 3000*F. They have the two-pin connection. What else do I need to get a temp readout? Is this a standard data logger connection? The thermocouples are sold as temp calibrated....how can you calibrate a thermocouple without it being integral in a system?

If anyone has done high temp sensing and knows of a good set-up, I'm all ears. i don't want to have to build anything, i just want to buy off the shelf items (client's money, not mine ).

Needs to operate over 2000*-2800*F and be oxidizing environment friendly. That's pretty much the only requirement. I've talked to a few sales guys with various manufacturers and have just been lost/frustrated. I wanted a simple "get X and plug into Y" answer, and instead get the two hour sales pitch.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Steel Addict

There are plenty of Xs and Yx to plug into different Zs.

Is it a data-logger you want to buy? (For recording temperatures on a computer?)

Or do you want a hand-held measuring gizmo?

Also, how far from the (hot thing being measured) to either the data-logger or to the hand?

As for the "pre-calibrated" bit... thermocouples put out a very specific voltage based on temperature. It has to do with how electrons and metals work rather than with any adjustments. For example, here's a list of voltages for your Omega type-R: http://www.omega.com/temperature/z/pdf/z210-211.pdf

Tags
knife