MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-13-2001, 11:52 AM
andy gascoigne

Auto mechanisms

I have recently finished my first linerlock ( pics to follow!!). I would like to find out how scale release auto's and double action auto's work. I know they're not legal over here in the UK but I'm only interested from a technical point of view.
I posted a message on knifeforums.com and got a very short reply back telling me to " buy one if you want to know ". Not as friendly a group as you guys. CKD members the best!!!!:-)

Andy Gascoigne
Old 05-13-2001, 05:25 PM
Jason G Howell

I've seen both, learned from Ron Newton how to do scale release, just never got around to doing one. Richard and Chester might be able to help here?

Double action... I have one on the bench I'm working on. Uses a kicker spring/spacebar. Not ready to show anyone else as I'm still learning myself. As soon as it's a success, I'll be happy to share.

Old 05-14-2001, 11:28 AM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Jason for the positive reply!! I sure would like to see your double action when you're ready.

Andy Gascoigne
Old 05-14-2001, 12:41 PM
dogman

Andy, I haven't made one yet, but I am around them all the time. You will be more likely to get a better answer by contacting someone in private, as the discussion of creative opening mechanisms on a open forum can make folks nervous.

For a leaf spring, you need to have enough room between the spine and the blade for the spring to reside in the closed position. The back end of the spring has an "L" shape that hooks under a pin to keep it in place, yet allow it to be removed relatively easy. The bottom of the blade must have enough area for the spring to make contact and push the knife open. A simple plunger/rocker mechanism blocks the spring in the closed position and disengages or pulls back when you push the release button.
There are many other issues dealing with geometry and hardening the spring that would require more detail than I am qualified to provide.

Old 05-14-2001, 01:21 PM
andy gascoigne

Thanks Bob,
I think I'm starting to understand!!
If anyone could do a rough sketch I might get a better idea and then have a go at one myself.
you say folks are nervous about talking about opening mechanisms is this from a legal point of view or are they just trying to keep the designs under cover?.

Thanks again

Andy..

Old 05-14-2001, 05:52 PM
JerryO13

It's all about legalities I'm afraid

In the United States, auto legalities vary from state to state. The federal law actually says that you can't transport over state lines. So if the individual state says there legal, technically you can only get an auto from someone within your state who makes auto's. There are exceptions such as for Military and Law Enforcement. So if your from a Auto illegal state people get nervous about taking about it. Since I don't make knives I personlly don't worry about it.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:13 PM
Geno

Andy,
Call me for scale release info.Got plenty.817 451 8243
-mornings

Tags
blade, knife, knives