MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

Is this knife collectable?

Does anyone collect knives or have know anything about collectables? I have a Knife that is a Lakota Hawk but the stamping says Cheyenne on one side and Hawk on the other. From what I can find a handful were produced at start up and Schrade got an order to stop production because they had a model called the Cheyenne. Only a handful were made with this stamp before production stopped and renamed Lakota. Are these collectable? I have had it for YEARS and if it is valuable I will put it away for one of my sons. It is a very high quality steel and really holds an edge.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Registered

Red face i have also so much collection of old knifes.

i have also so much collection of old knifes. an here i some discussion for the bowie knifes.Some Bowie knives had a notch on the bottom of the blade near the hilt known as a "Spanish Notch." The Spanish

Notch is often cited as a mechanism for catching an opponent's blade, however, some Bowie researchers hold that

the Spanish Notch is ill-suited to this function and frequently fails to achieve the desired results. These

researchers, instead, hold that the Spanish Notch has the much more mundane function as a tool for stripping sinew

and repairing rope and nets, as a guide to assist in sharpening the blade (assuring that the sharpening process

starts at a specific point and not further up the edge), or as a point to relieve stress on the blade during use.

One characteristic of Bowie knives is the "Clip-point" at the top of the blade, which brings the tip of the blade

lower than the spine for better control. As the goal is to produce a sharp, stabbing point, most Bowie knives have

a bevel ground along the clip, typically 1/4 of the way, but sometimes much further running the entire top-edge.

This is referred to as a "false edge" or a "swedge" as from a distance it looks sharpened, although it may or may

not be. Regardless of whether or not the false edge is sharp, it serves to take metal away from the point,

streamlining the tip and thus enhancing the penetration capability of the blade durring a stab. The version

attributed to blacksmith James Black had this "false edge" fully sharpened in order to allow someone trained in

European techniques of saber fencing to execute the maneuver called the "back cut" or "back slash".[2] A brass

quillon was attached to protect the hand, usually cast in a mold.
bowie knives
Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Any knife is a collectable.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartweapons68 View Post
Any knife is a collectable.

Ditto.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andries Olivier View Post
Ditto.

Yep! I also agree Andries!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for agreeing with me comrades!!!!

Tags
blade, brass, forging, knife, knives, sharpening