MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The manual that comes with it will have that information for whichever oven you get. But, it doesn't need all that much space, I barely have a foot of space between mine and the nearest wall. The outside surface of the furnace gets hot enough to be uncomfortable if you lay your hand on it but it would not easily ignite a sheet of paper laying on the top ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Skilled

So in my hunting, this is what I have found... and I hate to say it but Jantz sucks. I called yesterday to ask questions and pretty much was told they would call me today, as of 3:00 I never got a call so I called back and was told the girl I needed to talk to wasn't at her desk.

In the mean time I called USA knifemakers and talked to Beth, they will be getting my business. I'm really disappointed in Jantz right now, I spend a lot of money with them. And that girl that was away from her desk still hasn't called. It's kinda sad.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

That is sad but far from an isolated event, unfortunately. I recently sent usaknifemakers a question using their website contact form and never got an answer (and it would have been to their benefit to answer that particular question). Maybe we both have just fallen through the cracks and these are actually rare occurrences or maybe the art of customer service is fading away. All the more reason to pay attention and make sure we never, ever let that happen with our own customers ...

Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
That is sad but far from an isolated event, unfortunately. I recently sent usaknifemakers a question using their website contact form and never got an answer (and it would have been to their benefit to answer that particular question). Maybe we both have just fallen through the cracks and these are actually rare occurrences or maybe the art of customer service is fading away. All the more reason to pay attention and make sure we never, ever let that happen with our own customers ...
unfortunately customer service is a thing of the past, but i can tell you Beth was very helpful from usa, I even told Jantz that I had talked with them but I'd rather give them my buisness if the price was right. I still haven't heard from Jantz btw.

so usa will get my hard earned money.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Skilled

I've just been a small knife maker up to this point and spent over $7,000 last year in supplies. I guess Jantz is to big for small time guys like me?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Skilled

Well, it looks like I'm going to go with the km 24d with the gas setup, as of right now Jantz hasn't called me back, and Beth at usa has been great so they will get my buisness. So the km 24d with the gas hookup is going to be $1,500 and some change no tax and I get to pick it up in Mesquite, about 20 miles from me.

I guess until I get the gas bottles I can still foil wrap correct?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Sure, you can foil wrap. But, shouldn't be any problem getting the bottles. Any welding gas supplier should have them and they are very cheap to rent and you'd only need one.

You'd need an argon regulator too though. Look on eBay for one, shouldn't be hard to find and usually under $50 ....

Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Skilled

My neighbor is a welder so it shouldn't be a problem.

Tags
1084, 440c, back, blades, chef knife, chef's knife, cold, design, forge, full tang, handle, heat, hot, kitchen, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, s30v, sell, shop, supply, tang