MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Skilled

I got the same messsge on Friday. I'm wondering if they took the web page down. It was little more than a pdf of their catalog anyway.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Guru

I am worried that the elderly lady who ran the place may have died and there is no backup plan. It was a great place to order from, including Alabama Damascus.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Steel Addict

In reply to the "where is O1 sold and the chemistry shown not have vanadium" question,

If you do a google search of "steel suppliers", a couple of the biggest steel houses out there show up. Flatground and Hudson Tool Steel both do not show vanadium in the O1 composition. Speedy Metals, I cannot pull up their composition page, as the link is broken or something.

Not all O1 has vanadium, it is an optional element, and in a few Tool Steel books it explicitly states this. I make sure the O1 I buy has the vanadium. Yes, Starret is good stuff, too.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 AM
Guru

If you are going to buy a lot of O1 Cincinnati Tool Steel is the place. Their shipping is a flat rate $20 whether you buy 10 or 100 lbs. Check out their variety of PG metals.

http://www.cintool.com/page.asp?PageID=21

Old 06-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Guru

I called Sheffield this morning and they are still open and working on their downed web site as well as a new catalogue.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I am worried that the elderly lady who ran the place may have died and there is no backup plan. It was a great place to order from, including Alabama Damascus.

I ordered from them today. No problem. I started to ask about the website and he excused himself and took another call while I was on the line . I heard him telling the person on the other line he was aware the website was down and they were working on it.

I was disappointed he no longer carries 5160. I wanted some to forge tomahawks.

HA! ^^Jim we posted at the same time.^^ May have been YOU asking on the other line.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 06-12-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Guru

Probably was Goater lol, but 5160 is available most anywhere and it most definitely makes good hawks and if you want it hard just forge an 1/8" piece of 15N20 in the center when you fold it over.

I also talked to CTS and the guy there said W2 is being fazed out so don't expect to see it in a year or two unless somebody special orders like 2000 lbs of it to be made.

Tags
1084, 1095, art, at home, bee, begginer, beginner, blade, build, build it, easy, forge, forged, forging, heat, heat treat, home, knife, knife supply, knives, metal, paring, steel, supply, video