MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
Why do you do it?

Why is it that you are willing to spend the money for the best knife on the market? Personally I've broken knives in the past. I got one and it snowballed after I used it.
What reasons do you have? Are you an avid outdoorsman? A SAR type? A knife collector?
I honestly don't get to use them as much as I'd like. The blades I have destroyed were generally cheapo knives. I admit I was using them for things they were never intended to do. I probably would never use one of the better brands hard enough to destroy it. Probably. Splitting wood might do it. Anyway I'm getting off my point.
Why are you willing to shell out the $ on some of the nicest blades on the market?
I suppose "Cause I can" is valid but I'm looking for a little more meat.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Progunner Send a message via MSN to Progunner
I started buying Busse knives because I too destroyed cheapo knives and I wanted to see if they were worth the asking price. I have several more now and I also collect and use the Swamp Rat line. Now ask me why I keep buying them if I can't use them all. I don't know, I am addicted! Really one of the prime things that keeps me a collector and user of these knives are the folks that I have met because of them. The forumites all over different internet forums are great folks. Jerry and Jennifer Busse are quite possibly the nicest folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Some knife makers might seem aloof or unavailable, not these two. I have been to Blade two years in a row, this year will be my third, and I don't recall any other maker greating his customers with a bear hug and a grin like Jerry, not that it doesn't happen with others. I am curious as to how many makers trust customers to stand behind their tables at such shows and represent their wares to the uninitiated public. That my friends is a stroke of genius! Who better to tell the tales but the folks who were once on the other side of the table. If you come to one of these shows and see a bunch of guys with that wild look in their eye when they are telling you all about these knives, don't think they are getting paid to say what they are saying. They bought their own gas or plane tickets and took time off of their jobs to come and share their enthusiasm for these knives with you. They drive Busse and Swamp Rat and in return Jerry and Jennifer continue to crank out innovative designs that make us wonder how they could make a knife any better. Now that is my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, that Isaacson guy over at Swamp Rat is also one of those salt of the earth types you count yourself lucky to have met in your life time.

Last edited by Progunner; 05-11-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Steel Addict

Because "it's there" . . . Guess, that's not good enough neither, eh?

For me, apart from having fun admiring/playing with/carrying/using those BEST knives, it's a "just in case" metality.
"Just in case" something bad happens, I'd really prefer the best knife I could afford, knife I KNOW I could RELY on. Knife that won't fail me, for the worst case scenario that could possibly happen in my URBAN and out-of-ordinary life.

Then, the rationale starts . . .
That, that knife you can rely on is defenitely A KNIFE WORTH HAVING.

And, any knife worth having, worth having two.

Then, . . . the story goes . . .
Old 05-12-2005, 12:03 AM

Finally somebody got it right !!

Pro -- 2 points, you were close

Paradiggum -- 2 points also, VERY close !!

Santi -- the Colorado judge awards you a perfect 5 points Like the Marine Corps' unofficial motto "When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight...", we buy Busses and Rats because sooner or later, we WILL need a knife to save our butts, and that knife absolutley, positively better be up to it.

Glad to see so many new/old faces

Mike

Old 05-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMike
Santi -- the Colorado judge awards you a perfect 5 points
Thx!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Quote:

Santi -- the Colorado judge awards you a perfect 5 points Like the Marine Corps' unofficial motto "When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight...", we buy Busses and Rats because sooner or later, we WILL need a knife to save our butts, and that knife absolutley, positively better be up to it.

Mike
in my best Georga Sherriff drawl......AWRIGHT where you been boy!?

Old 05-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Hey Dwayne ol' friend I just been nappin' in the weeds, lurking I think they call it I knew that sooner or later some of you guys'd show up
It would be cool if this little Forum started to draw a crowd like the Custom sites, but until then it's a comfortable place to discuss life's mysteries, like "why do you________?" (fill in the blank with a Busse/Rat question)

Mike

Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:

Mike
Dang! Just 2 points Mike! Well, I guess it is better than none huh? Hey, check your PMs at the Busse home forum, I sent you a question the other day. I am currently making a batch of the vinegar/steel wool dye by the way. I have been doing some home work reading you know where.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 PM

Heya Pro-G -- I just checked, no PM in my box. I have a regular email from you (which I just discovered ) -- I'll drop you a line tomorrow

Mike

Old 05-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Heya Pro-G -- I just checked, no PM in my box. I have a regular email from you (which I just discovered ) -- I'll drop you a line tomorrow

Mike
Maybe it was a email, heck I don't. Whenever you get time, no hurry.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

One day in 1999, I saw the ad' of Basic #7. Then I felt "what's a knife! , look simple , look cheap". But they firm on their blade. After that I wish to own that one.

For many years passed, I have studied in the steels , process of heatreatment. I'm realize that the correct way of heatreatment built the steel be the best blade. I'm myself the user, collector. I have some of the work of Master Smiths. But i but Busse , Swamp Rat since I'd like the concept idea of Jerry aabout his knives, Busse. I's never seen any brand has a long life blade guarantee. I know the magic of cryogenic to build the blade toughness as high hardness.

I trusted on the blade of Busse and SR. They're in my heart like a wording " Steel be the blade be the Heart of Knives "
Old 05-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiggum
Why is it that you are willing to spend the money for the best knife on the market? Personally I've broken knives in the past. I got one and it snowballed after I used it.
What reasons do you have? Are you an avid outdoorsman? A SAR type? A knife collector?
I honestly don't get to use them as much as I'd like. The blades I have destroyed were generally cheapo knives. I admit I was using them for things they were never intended to do. I probably would never use one of the better brands hard enough to destroy it. Probably. Splitting wood might do it. Anyway I'm getting off my point.
Why are you willing to shell out the $ on some of the nicest blades on the market?
I suppose "Cause I can" is valid but I'm looking for a little more meat.
Why? Its an obsession to me. I first discovered Busse Combat in 1996 or 97 on the back cover of an SOF magazine. Ever since then I have been obsessed with that knife, the shape, the guarantee, the confidence that "the man" has in his work! Above all was the unconditional confidence that Jerry has in his work that attracted me the most. In my work, nothing but the best will do, and I see that most in Jerry's work. I see so many companies with piss poor excuses for the failure of their product, "intent" "wasnt designed for that" whine piss and moan. Busse and the Swamp dont make excuses, they make knives!!!!!!!! if the knife fails, no excuses, its replaced. End of story, no excuses, no whining, no "its not our problem" , no "you intentionally abused our product" no compromise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
if the knife fails, no excuses, its replaced. End of story, no excuses, no whining, no "its not our problem" , no "you intentionally abused our product" no compromise

Yeah, that too

Mike

Tags
blade, knife, knives