MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 04-08-2001, 11:11 AM
ghostdog

For Larry re Rail spikes

Thanks for the research Larry.
I am new to forging so perhaps my answer to your question will be closer to your level. The last knife I made from a spike saw me at the anvil for about 2 hours and I did not put any twists in it anywhere. I spent about an hour filing before heat treating and about the same after heat treat and temper. I am getting faster as I do more and would love to see a real experienced guy work.
Forging is something I wish I had taken up years ago. I have increased our tool collection alot since taking this up and saved a lot of money. I just made a wood carving chisel for my wife from scrap that would have set us back 80 bucks to purchase. Beware, it is addicting.

=ghiostdog=
Old 04-08-2001, 02:05 PM
LPowell

Forging a spike

Ghostdog,
Hey thanks for the reply. When you talked about filing before and after the heat treating...is that something that you have to do in order to properly forge the spike? I am guessing this would be to remove any scale there may be on the spike? I hadn't really considered how long it might take to work the material flat. Two hours seems like a lot of sweatin' to me! I am not discouraged by that possibility, though...I really enjoy trying new things. It may be a while yet, before I get to try my hand at this, so in the meantime, I'll just keep "gathering" knowledge. :/
Larry
Old 05-27-2001, 04:56 PM
Don Barnes

Rail Spikes

Anyone wanting low grade spikes? (I keep the HC) I will sell or trade. E-mail me at elkoanvil@yahoo.com

Tags
forge, forging, knife