MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 07-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

What aspects of a knife draw you to it?

What is it about the knives you currently own or want that attracted you to it? Is there one thing that is most important? One thing, if the knife has it, it doesn't matter what else is going on with the knife?

Me, it starts out with the design of the knife. Is it something that fits my idea of what a knife should be. Then, I will look at quality. In general, the manufacturer is usually enough to answer this question for me. The I look at materials. Finally, the hands on part.

I have run into knives that, at first, I just didn't get the design of the knife. Even though it had some of the features I look for. Then I got it in my hand and a light came on! I have had some that "looked" like what I wanted, then I get a hold of it and it just doesn't do it.

Last edited by Dirk; 07-23-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Skilled

Being a collector primarily, I'd say a prime consideration for me is how any particular companies knives have done on the secondary market years down the line.

Other than that it's pretty much "Form and Function" all the way...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 07-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
What is it about the knives you currently own or want that attracted you to it? Is there one thing that is most important? One thing, if the knife has it, it doesn't matter what else is going on with the knife?

Me, it starts out with the design of the knife. Is it something that fits my idea of what a knife should be. Then, I will look at quality. In general, the manufacturer is usually enough to answer this question for me. The I look at materials. Finally, the hands on part.

I have run into knives that, at first, I just didn't get the design of the knife. Even though it had some of the features I look for. Then I got it in my hand and a light came on! I have had some that "looked" like what I wanted, then I get a hold of it and it just doesn't do it.
I like most on here, own quite a few..some old some new....I seek something in a functional, but indestructable blade....which of course brings me to the Busse.....I enjoy each one in its own engineering rights....I like you...look for the quality and care of the knife, then what it is made of...then the engineering and purpose of that engineering...Gee this brings me back to Busse...

My favorite....the old , but still mint...Black Jack Mamba with custom white paper micarta handles.....Bad to the bone.....a fearsome fighter...

TAO
Old 08-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

The Mamba was a wicked knife. I wouldn't mind seeing it return!

Old 08-11-2004, 01:46 AM

Hey Guys,

The mamba was wicked.

I just made 300 of the updated version called the Evolution- One. Most of them went to A.G. Russell. I think that he still has a few left.

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_m...ark_river.html

He still has them listed on his site.

To answer you question--I think that the overall look of the knife is what draws me to a design. I have always felt that there is no one feature on a fixed blade knife that catches my eye. it is the whole package.

Mike........
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Mike, thanks for the information! I might have pick one of those up! :cool:

Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That evo has the "whole package" look. Those that lust for a mamba should be well satisfied with one of them. And the can use it without guilt.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

The thing I think I notice first about a knife, is the blade shape!! That is what appeals to my eye first. Then I notice the rest.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM

I like:

First thing I consider is the quality of the products and then I look for comments from those who have what I might be interested in.
second, if I can ascertain it, the level of quality control from the company who makes it.
third, but just as important to me as #1 is the custome service and the warrenty of the product.

The first think that will catch my eye is the blade shape....I kind of like the "tactical" look, but shun anything that is RAMBOESK. Since most of this stuff is just eye candy and junk.

FWIW
Ciao
Ron Cassel
Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
I go about it a different way , I look at a knife if it slightly interests me , I would then look at the maker and see what he stand for or represents. If I feel a bond with the maker or know he is well respected and someone who can be trusted I would then look again at the product. I just can carry a knife no matter how nice or cool if I dont have belief in the maker .

With that said I like my folders tip up , I dislike tanto blade shapes , hollow grinds really catch my eye.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives