MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Skilled

First lock-back (scagel)

I posted this in the display case, but thought I would put it here too. My first lock back. 0-1 blade, back, and spring,.....brass liners,...NS pins and bolsters, bone scales with silver shield(from old quater). Someone told me lock-backs are easier than slip-joints, but in my opinion they are a bit tougher. My biggest problem is that my pivot pin shows. Any suggestions on how to correct that on future work would be appreciated.
Thanks

As always, comments good or bad are welcome......Let me know what you think?
Thanks for taking a look.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 11-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace
I posted this in the display case, but thought I would put it here too. My first lock back. 0-1 blade, back, and spring,.....brass liners,...NS pins and bolsters, bone scales with silver shield(from old quater). Someone told me lock-backs are easier than slip-joints, but in my opinion they are a bit tougher. My biggest problem is that my pivot pin shows. Any suggestions on how to correct that on future work would be appreciated.
Thanks

As always, comments good or bad are welcome......Let me know what you think?
Thanks for taking a look.
Mace

Nice looking folder, Mace I don't know who told you lock backs were easier than slip joints, but I agree with you they ARE tougher. I'm in the middle of a lock back at the moment and have had to make the blade and lock bar for the second time just filed a little to much of the wrong place.

From what I can see in the photo, the problem with the pivot showing in the bolster is down to two differing grades of nickel silver that are showing differant colors.

If I'm wrong and the problem is just the visibility of the pin, then it may be down to not counter sinking your hole before peening the pin.

I don't know much about the Scagal look but it seems to be getting more popular, Chris Crawford has just done a Scagal folder too!.

Again good work!!!
Andy..
Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Steel Addict

Mace, That's a nice looking folder. You have an interesting way of adding a modern touch to an old style. I like it!

Here is a thread from another forum which goes into detail about folder pins showing:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25190

-chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys.

Reg: pins,
The link that Chris posted had a lot of good information and confirmed a lot of the things that were running in my head. I think it was a combination of things myself.
I have seen a lot of knives like this that the pin shows and in my opinion it doesn't detract from the knife. Nowadays this sort of thing would be covered by a screw head!
Thanks again
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"

Tags
blade, knife, knives