MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Boker magnum/toplock question

First post here, so Hi to everyone
I'd just like to ask a question about Bokers. I did a search on the forum and there was an old thread about making Autos.
The "toplock" was mentioned.
Basically the question I want to ask is, does a Boker toplock or a magnum just need a spring fitted to turn it into an auto........I've seen the knives advertised as both:confused: ..but the auto costs considerably more than the manual.
I have heard that the Bolster on a boker is hollow to take a coil spring, and that some come with a hole in the blade. If that is correct then all you would need to do would be to fit a spring.
If the blade hasn't got a hole it would be tricky to drill one, and even worse if the bolster isn't hollow.
Hope somebody can answer this, if folks are uneasy about talking about autos then feel free to pm me ...or even delete this post.

thanks

Old 03-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
You might have trouble getting your question answered here on the CKD, since our focus is exclusively on custom knives. You might try one of the other forums that deals with factory blades. Good luck!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 03-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

ok thanks

Old 04-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Registered

boker top lock

i have converted bokers and magnums.
the magnums are easy, they have the blade drilled and the spring well done. all you need is the spring. the bokers are a little different. some have the spring well in the bolster some dont.
if it doesnt i use a center cutting end mill to put it in. then you have to cut a spring catch notch in it also. if the blade is not drilled use a solid carbide drill, available at industrial supply place. carbide will cut the hardened blade. your best bet is to buy a boker auto take it apart and copy the positions for the spring catch and blade hole.
hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I had heard that the Magnums were tricky to put the springs in, and I wasn't sure about the toplocks, I have a nice toplock auto. I just thought that I could save some money if I wanted another, it's also fascinating to find out how they work.
Thanks again

Tags
blade, knife, knives