MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:15 AM
Living Legend

Is there such a book?

Does anyone know of a book that explains how to design a lockback?

I am not interested in any of the books that say, trace out your template on the steel.

I want one that explains the hows and whys of design. Do you design a blade and then make the rest of the knife fit? Do you design the handle and make the blade fit? Why use this size pivot or this type of pivot?

I want to know how to design my own knife and get the parts right without forgetting anything (yea, right).

I know I can copy what others do but I am not interested in copying, I want my first folder to be completely of my design.

I already have the "How to make folding knives" book.

I can stumble through it and come up with something but sure would like to cut down on my learing curve with some "You do this because" information.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am more interested in lockbacks at this time than linerlocks. However, of there is a linerlock book out there that explains the DESIGN aspects clearly, I would be interested in that as well.

I know the parts of folders, even bought a kit from Alex to see a linerlock in parts.

My goal for my first knife is a screw together lockback of my own design.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Enthusiast

bob the only book i've seen with any such information( I have'nt read that many) is HOW TO MAKE FOLDING KNIVES ----
by Ron Lake, Frank Centofante & Wayne Clay. I belive you can gleen the same information by taking apart a $2.00 chinese lockback.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."
Old 03-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Bob, you might be interested in my book "My Way". It takes you step by step through building a linerlock AFTER you've made the blade blank, which is something you certainly know how to do.

The book is loaded with pictures and explanations for each step.

In my opinion, a linerlock or framelock is easier to make than a lock back folder.

If you're interested, email me here.

donwrobinson@earthlink.net
Old 03-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast

Tim McCreights book on 10 projects has a lock back section - he does a decent job of explaining basics

Old 03-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Skilled

Bob I am in the process of making my first folder also. I read all the books I could, read all the tutorials I could find, and took something from all of them. Spent a bunch of money ordering different folder supplies and tools. This last week I had to go over to Tom Ferry's house to deliver some stuff and we sat down and talked folders for about 45 minutes. He did some sketching, told me how he does certain things etc. Bob I learned more in that 45 minutes than I got from all the books and tutorials! Don't get me wrong, the books and tutorials are great, and a lot of what Tom told me made some of the things they said a LOT clearer. But my suggestion is go visit a folder maker. Make a list of questions and really pick his brain. You will come home a happy camper I'm sure.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Guru

Bob,

If you will take the relationship between the pivot hole and the notch for the lockbar from your book and keep that constant then you can redesign any of the rest of the lockback to your own design.

If this doesn't make since, give me an email or phone call.

Gary
Old 03-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Living Legend

Bill,

I know a lot about how watching a knifemaker can jumpstart a makers learning. I have someone over to my shop almost every weekend to watch me on fixed blades.

Unfortunately, that is not necessarily what I need. I am interested in design from a different point of view I guess. I want to know how to design the geometry of the blade without copying a pattern and going from there. I want to figure out how to just draw a knife on paper to a design I like and then figure out the geometry for THAT knife.

I considered taking a knife apart and making a templete of the parts (or just the tang area) but that will be a copy and not a knife I designed myself. I am kinda picky that way.

Spending a day watching someone do THAT would be worth a visit. I can make all the parts and assemble them. I am confident of that, it is just this darn design problem that bugs me.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Bob, Ray Rogers tut. on how to build a liner lock seems to put things in a nut shell. In its simplest form, all you need is a nickle. From there the sky is the limit on your own design ideas. one simple line drawing says a thousand words.

Ray Rogers

Old 03-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Bob, come on down here to Brownsville and spend a weekend with me.

I guess the book hasn't arrived yet?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Guru

Bob,

I think that I understand what you're after since I don't used any patterns or templates but design each one individually. I am by no means a master but have built over 100 lockbacks this way & would be glad to explain my process anytime. I'm a little too far away for a shop visit (though you're more than welcome) but if you're interested, give my a call sometime and I'd be glad to talk you through it if you think that would help.

Gary

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives